Thread: Empty cartridge ejection

Basic Member

Empty cartridge ejection

I am happy to report that with your help I just finished my first barrel swap. I removed a 22-250 barrel from a model 12 and replaced it with a 243win barrel. It seems to shoot fine. When I work the action very deliberately, as if I was going for a quick follow up shot, everything works well. However, when I work the action slowly the bolt releases the cartridge without ejecting it. Is this normal?

LongRange
    yep...you can get an up grade kit for it from Denis at myaccuratebarrel.com

Basic Member
    What does the upgrade kit do?

Team Savage
    Install a .140 extractor detent ball
    your problems will go away

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by No.343 View Post
    What does the upgrade kit do?

It will solve your ejection issues if they are a problem for you....as drybean said the up grade kit has a bigger detent ball and stiffer spring..i think theres also an extractor kit as well.

Basic Member
    Thank you gents

Basic Member
    The sharp corner on the top of the lug race in the ring is another extraction-ejection gremlin. When a case is pulled free of the chamber the ejector forces it over and up into the race. Many times the brass will catch on it and it rips the case out from under the extractor. As a matter of SOP after pulling a factory barrel I'll knock it of with a Dermel and a small abrasive bit before the next barrel goes on.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    Install a .140 extractor detent ball
    your problems will go away
    ^ This is all you need. I honestly don't know why savage wouldn't just start installing this size in factory. Almost every person who owns there rifles has issues with the extraction. At least anyone that shoots enough. I suffered with mine for years where it would drop the case in chamber. Trying to solve that is what led me to this site. It's a real pita and something that hurts the reliability standpoint from someone who buys a new savage and doesn't know the fix.

That said my fastenel rep got me 100 .140 "detent ball" for $ .40. I actually purchased the upgrade kit before I switched the ball. The place I bought from we're back ordered at the time. Still waiting on the status of my order. That was in 2013.....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    The sharp corner on the top of the lug race in the ring is another extraction-ejection gremlin. When a case is pulled free of the chamber the ejector forces it over and up into the race. Many times the brass will catch on it and it rips the case out from under the extractor. As a matter of SOP after pulling a factory barrel I'll knock it of with a Dermel and a small abrasive bit before the next barrel goes on.

Bill

Bill, I am not following ya. Very interested in what you're saying, though. Can you post a pic?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Bill, I am not following ya. Very interested in what you're saying, though. Can you post a pic?
    I don't have one but Fred posted his detailing it some time ago. Maybe he'll pop in and re-post his but if you follow the lug race to it's end in the ring with a finger you can feel it.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.