Thread: Suppressors Legalized for Hunting in MI

Basic Member

Suppressors Legalized for Hunting in MI

To my fellow savage shooters out of Michigan, as of last night we are the 38th state to legalize hunting with suppressors

Basic Member
    Im so in tune to all this i dont even know if PA is one of them.
    What are the major reasons they are growing in popularity?
    Im also assuming having one would rule out having a brake?

Basic Member
    Suppressors do everything a brake does, but better. Reduced noise allows hunting without ear pro and in some cases especially with predator hunting it makes it a whole lot easier to take out larger numbers of coyotes if they are moving in larger numbers.

woot woot,
    I need to go yote hunting next weekend with my suppressed long gun.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    I am in MN. Our laws changed August of 2015.

Just tried to take a form 1 in to get cleo certification. Sheriff was on vacation and officer that came to counter almost laughed at me. He also commented my response to purpose on the form. Apparently "target shooting and hunting" was not a valid reason to him.

I hope that is not a common reaction to others looking to legally purchase or build a suppressor.

I don't hold it against the officer, but it goes to show the lack of information about the process.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adammiddagh View Post
    I am in MN. Our laws changed August of 2015.

Just tried to take a form 1 in to get cleo certification. Sheriff was on vacation and officer that came to counter almost laughed at me. He also commented my response to purpose on the form. Apparently "target shooting and hunting" was not a valid reason to him.

I hope that is not a common reaction to others looking to legally purchase or build a suppressor.

I don't hold it against the officer, but it goes to show the lack of information about the process.
    I may be wrong but I think they just changed it so they don't require Cleo signature anymore. For this very purpose. It was brought up how it isn't right to have a Leo decide, by lack of his signature, that your unable to poses a legal item. I'd check into this if you really want one. Of course he may have signed it anyway. You didn't clarify

Basic Member
    That goes into effect in July 2016. So, if I have to wait, for July to fill my paperwork. And 1-3 months for ATF approval. And say 1 month to get a engraved tube and other parts. September - November of this year I could get to build my suppressor.

Edit,
    I almost forgot, $200 stamp so that I can drill out a set of frost plugs. If I do it, it will be the legal way, but I wonder how many are built without registration. Just a thought.

Edit2,
    Looked up effective date of changes. July 13, 2016.
    Last edited by adammiddagh; 02-13-2016 at 10:14 PM.

You shoot for pleasure
    Sound gives you excruciating headaches
    You need a suppressor for your headaches.

Signed dr deaf

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    You shoot for pleasure
    Sound gives you excruciating headaches
    You need a suppressor for your headaches.

Signed dr deaf
    That made me chuckle lol

What was that again, haf

Basic Member
    I suppose they could be a poachers best friend, legally made and owned or otherwise.

Basic Member
    Just had a chuckle and a thought, a bow could also be a poachers best friend.

Basic Member
    Just had a chuckle and a thought, a bow could also be a poachers best friend.
    Im not an archer, but wouldnt that be tough from inside a vehicle, especially at night? lol

Basic Member
    Point taken. How about I revise my position to say that you can find an illegal use for any(or almost any)legally obtained / built item.

Basic Member
    Point taken. How about I revise my position to say that you can find an illegal use for any(or almost any)legally obtained / built item.
    Well of coarse you can and we all know its done all the time.
    But fear of getting caught is no doubt what keeps some people honest also.
    It will be interesting to watch what happens with things like poaching with these things becoming legal.

Basic Member
    I know what the total $ of my suppressor is, so I will not be poaching and giving it to the DNR....mine if anything will make me more aware that people will Proly report me simply because of the can. And as I said its to much money to irresponsibly loose. That's just my feelings tho

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Well of coarse you can and we all know its done all the time.
    But fear of getting caught is no doubt what keeps some people honest also.
    It will be interesting to watch what happens with things like poaching with these things becoming legal.
    I think someone has watched too many Hollywood movies.

I've owned and been shooting suppressed rifles for the past 3 years - they make shooting "hearing safe" - not silent. You have no idea how loud the supersonic crack of a bullet is until you strip away the "bang"...it's far from quiet, but it's not loud.
    Granted shooting 208gr sub-sonic ammo out of my .300 BLK is fairly noiseless, but it's the ballistic equivalent of a .45acp - not exactly a poachers dream and I'm suspect that terminal ballistics would leave much to be desired.

I'm not of the opinion the we should limit the ability of law abiding citizens because someone "might" break a law.

Im so in tune to all this i dont even know if PA is one of them.
    What are the major reasons they are growing in popularity?
    Im also assuming having one would rule out having a brake?
    Simple solution - get a suppressor with a QD mount on the host weapon - almost all of the mounts come either as a typical flashhider, or can be had as a muzzle brake...suppressor goes on right over the brake - best of both worlds.

Basic Member
    Got my Form 1 back from CLEO. Signed it promptly, and returned promptly. Just the way it should work. Now off to the ATF and a good long wait.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye_dan View Post
    I think someone has watched too many Hollywood movies.

I've owned and been shooting suppressed rifles for the past 3 years - they make shooting "hearing safe" - not silent. You have no idea how loud the supersonic crack of a bullet is until you strip away the "bang"...it's far from quiet, but it's not loud.
    Granted shooting 208gr sub-sonic ammo out of my .300 BLK is fairly noiseless, but it's the ballistic equivalent of a .45acp - not exactly a poachers dream and I'm suspect that terminal ballistics would leave much to be desired.

I'm not of the opinion the we should limit the ability of law abiding citizens because someone "might" break a law.
    The last movie i saw was Forrest Gump, and theres no plans to ever go to another.
    As for the suppressor ive never heard a rifle fired with one and had heard it controlled the noise. if not explain the point to having them
    other than maybe the cool factor?
    As for the sonic crack heard downrange, i am very well schooled on that.
    I would agree that poachers will be poachers with or without silencing devices. But would they sway the opinion of some was my point.
    I could care less what others like or desire to own regarding firearms. I think were all pretty much in unison here regarding gun related issues.

Im not an archer, but wouldnt that be tough from inside a vehicle, especially at night? lol
    Not with a crossbow.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Poaching in MI is like getting a tan in Socal. One cannot ignore tall tales of guys bragging about bagging dozen or so bambi.

It is unlikely that any of the bambis were taken with a suppressed weapon.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    Not with a crossbow.
    You E town guys must have had lots of practice lol.

We collected info from surrounding states and there I'd evidence of increased poaching after approval.

Basic Member
    It only makes sense that if one is poaching, and CAN LEGALLY get a suppressor, he will continue to poach. So it could be they feel emboldened to just poach more. Buying a suppressor legally will not all of a sudden make them want to obey the law. Most of their rifles are bought legally as well.

The big advantage for a poacher, it the sonic crack is almost impossible (with the human ear) to tell what direction it came from. That's the main reason military snipers started to use them.

As for poor ballistics, most animals poached are done so at about 50yds or less, so bullet drop is not a big issue for them.