Thread: adding washers to action screws

Basic Member

adding washers to action screws

I have a 93r17 TR that shoots pretty good but throws a flier a large amount of the time. I know it needs bedded. The way this action sits I'm not sure about how to do it, here is an article where a guy made his own custom pillars but it seems like a lot of work.

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/sav...r-bedding.html

that article will at least give you a good idea of what the underside of the action looks like.
    I was thinking of adding some small washers inside of the stock so the wood would be sandwiched between the bottom metal and the washers inside the stock. My thought is if I find washers of the right size and preferably thin so then bend and form to the stock having the effect of pillars. If this doesn't work I'm going to go full marine tex but I'm not sure where it needs it and where it doesnt.
    Any ideas?

22BVGord
    I don't think the idea of using washers next to wood is such a good one. With pressure, the wood will compress because it is not very hard - not good. Best is to look at doing metal pillars - I did mine out of pieces of lamp rod and there is metal to metal contact from the action bolt head right up to the barrel. One rifle had a very hard plastic block around the recoil so I ended up using two pieces of lamp rod - one on each side of the block & not likely the plastic will break or compress. It needs the stock to be drilled out and at first this was intimidating - didn't want to screw up a stock. If you are not changing stocks, this shouldn't be a problem. I was changing stocks so more challenging was to get the pillars sized so that everything fit and the rifle functioned 100%. Check other threads for pillar bedding.