Thread: 22 tcm build

bro.betterley

22 tcm build

I have been really intrigued with the 22 TCM, a handgun rifle combination using the same bullet. I purchased Rock Island 1911 22 TCM, and I did the forbidden and purchased one of their rifles as well what a mistake!

But I want to make this rifle handgun combination work, does anybody know if I will get the 22 TCM feed and eject on a savage action. And does anybody know a barrel maker that has the reamer to do it 22 TCM

Basic Member
    Gunsmith I don't know. The round should extract and eject fine. The 22tcm is a really short .223 case. Since the Savage is a push feed it's likely that it will feed ok You can check this really easily. Find someone that has a Savage in .223 and run some 22tcm through it.

I'm not sure if there is anything to be had over the 221 Fireball. The 221 Firewall is the same case just a bit longer so it should have better ballistics than the 22tcm out of a rifle. If I were going to make a rifle like this...I would go for the .221 but if you have a 22tcm pistol I can kinda sorta see the efficiency of only having one cartridge to load.

bro.betterley
    Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    Gunsmith I don't know. The round should extract and eject fine. The 22tcm is a really short .223 case. Since the Savage is a push feed it's likely that it will feed ok You can check this really easily. Find someone that has a Savage in .223 and run some 22tcm through it.

I'm not sure if there is anything to be had over the 221 Fireball. The 221 Firewall is the same case just a bit longer so it should have better ballistics than the 22tcm out of a rifle. If I were going to make a rifle like this...I would go for the .221 but if you have a 22tcm pistol I can kinda sorta see the efficiency of only having one cartridge to load.
    i thought the same thing, but read on a 22 tcm forum of a guy that did one on a axis action and has to extract them from the chamber with tweezers? So i figured i would come here and see if there is more information.

And yes i already have the handgun, the dies, brass is easily available and cheap for the 22tcm, basically a modern hornet, with a potential one caliber handgun/rifle combo

Basic Member
    Ok, so I have a two 1911 22tcm's, a new target with the ramped barrel and an older one without the ramp. Believe me, the new one works better. I finally got the first one to work but it was a real effort. I still can't get it to lock open after the last round.

Anyway, I also have a Savage Model 16 stainless in .223 with a Shaw barrel. You can get one round in the magazine but that's about it. They're just way too short. As soon as I push the bolt forward the round pops up and bounced around the magazine area.

I checked how the 22tcm fits the .223 bolt face. It fits just like a .223 does. I can find no reason why it wouldn't load, extract and eject single rounds. I'm positive it would. I couldn't actually chamber the 22tcm case because it is so short that the bolt just pushes it up in to the longer chamber. If the chamber was the right size the extractor would clip over the rim just as the.223 does.

So yes, it will work but it's going to be a single shot. I have no idea if Savage ever made a rifle in 221 Fireball but if they did I'm pretty sure you could use that magazine.

The 22tcm, as far as I know, is a proprietary cartridge so getting a reamer could be a real issue. You'd have to contact the folks that designed the cartridge. Heck, they're gunsmiths, they may chamber a blank for you...

I've always wanted a bolt action in 221 Fireball but just haven't gotten around to it. The 22tcm should be fairly close the performance of the 221 and get stupid velocity with very little powder. The 221 Fireball is extremely well thought of in the varmint shooter community.

bro.betterley
    Not sure if mine is the newer ramped barrel or not will have to check

bro.betterley
    Thanks for the info abitnutz, I did find a way to get a barrel made, and I'm sure I could get it to shoot, but it sounds like it'll be a single shot gun from what you're telling me.

Team Savage
    As far as the 22 TCM feeding from a Savage action? Don't waste your time trying to get it to work. Case is WAY too short. Go single feed with the ejector rod and spring removed. Case will stay on the bolt head till you pick it off. Extractor will hold the case in place. Just like dealing with the .221 Fireball case. Same same!! Single feeding solves the problem.
    A few guys are working/thinking about necking down the 22 TCM case to 20 or 17. As far as a reamer? Build a dummy round, send it off to the reamer maker and have your own cut to your specs.
    A reamer for the 17 or 20 TCM is what we'll be working for.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Try this article on the 22TCM http://www.shootingillustrated.com/