Thread: Model 1907 front sight?

Drac0nic

Model 1907 front sight?

I have a 1907 coming to me, the reason why is I reload and I wanted something I could shoot that would stand its own on cost with .22LR ammo. I think I can actually get cheaper than .22 with the right .32 ACP loadings so I think it'd be a fun project/plinker.

That out of the way, it is missing the front sight. This seems to be a very common problem with these guns, does anyone actually make a replacement? My plan B is to buy a front sight from a 1911 or a piece of steel stock and see if I can stake it on. Dimensionally a 1911 seems pretty darn close based on the info I can find, I may have to either enlarge the opening on the slide for the pin or file down the pin on the stake. I think it's something that could work with a bit of file action.

Otherwise, what is everyone else doing with their front sights? Is it possible to dovetail one of these and retrofit some regular 1911 sights on it?

One more thing, it looks as if the safety is loose which is supposedly common on the early guns (This one's in the ~10,000 SN range, metal grips) How does one fix this? Is it something where you peen the safety or retrofit a spring like the later guns? If so, any pics by anyone of the retrofit?

Thanks

I'd say to go ahead and try making another sight fit. Front sights are harder to find then hens teeth for the Savage pistols. I had one spare that I sent to a buddy that needed it for his gun, never did hear from him to see if it fit or not.

I wouldn't be able to help you out on the safety problem, all mine are tight and I've never had anything that early to fidget with.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    Apparently, the 'early' ones were just that way with the Safety seeming to be loose or floppy when in the 'FIRE" position.

I have one in the low 3000 serial range, and it is that way.

Not sure when, but at some point, the interior part of the Safety was changed ot have a little Spring Detent gismo, which kept it snug against the edge of the Stock, when in "FIRE" position, and those there is no looseness.