Thread: Nightforce SHV

schnyd112

Nightforce SHV

I am looking to upgrade my scope. I currently look through a vortex viper hs-t 4-16x44. I bought it in 2012/13 to replace a leupold that did not have target turrets. I have no problems with the hs-t but after looking through some better glass I want to upgrade.

I don't have nxs money right now, but if that is where I need to go I will just put the purchase off for now. I saw a SHV and was shocked to see a Nightforce for less than $1000. I only have been able to look through them at a store, was able to take it out front and look around outside, but not at targets, not on a rifle and it was in full sun. I did get to compare it to a vortex viper and a nxs, but really couldn't tell a difference.

All I was able to look through was the 4x14, I would probably try to get the 5-20x56, MOAR, no illumination. Looking to shoot it as far as my .260 will let me. Will try to compete to 1000, steel or paper out past that when i refine my distance skills.

Any thoughts on the SHV? Worth the money or just save for a high dollar optic?

Basic Member
    If you're deadset on NF, I'd personally hold out for an NXS. If you're not deadset on NF, I'd recommend a Razor Gen I 5-20x50 as you can find them used around or under that $1,500 mark.

If you're considering an SHV, just save yourself a couple of bucks and upgrade to a Viper PS-T 6-24x50. Again, used, probably around that $750 mark. I was not at all impressed with the SHV when I had the opportunity to shoot with one, and certainly couldn't discern a noticeable difference between it and a Viper PST. The NXS on the other hand is an excellent scope, but there are other good options available at or below what you'd be looking at spending.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

schnyd112
    Not set on Nightforce, but I also am not a fan of used glass. I have never really been impressed with the viper ps-t, which is why I went with the HS-t. I just wanted to get some opinions on the SHV. I know there are some really good options if I can get together 1600+ but it will still be a little before I can swing that.

LongRange
    Call me we might be able to make a deal for my ATACR.