Thread: 223 wylde ?????

acemisser

223 wylde ?????

Not really a help me decide..But just what is this 223 wylde? I am looking for another 223 in 8 twist.
    Is this basicly the same as 223..Are there different dies needed or what goes here..Will it be an
    accurate shooter as well? Thanks for any added information on this..

s far as I know a .223 wylde has a longer throat in the chamber enabling you to use heavy long bullets and still have plenty of case capacity. Mine isn't a wylde but I wish it was.. It should be just as accurate as any other .223's. Same die set is used.

The HOT thing now is the 6br 8 twist's and the 6Dasher's,, that is if you want to keep up with the Jones's. LOL
    There really is an excuse for everything!

You should be able to use it in the Precision match as well.

Basic Member
    The .223 Wylde is a modified 5.56 chamber designed for AR-15's. There is no advantage to that chamber in a bolt gun.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    The .223 Wylde is a modified 5.56 chamber designed for AR-15's. There is no advantage to that chamber in a bolt gun.
    The .223 Wylde is a chamber demons ion that falls between the 5.56 and .223 and enables you a better accuracy with .233 while still being able to shoot 5.56. The problem with 5.56 being shot from a .223 is that the throat is just slightly longer. So shooting 5.56 out of .223 chamber means greater chamber pressure and a possible canto strophic failure and shooting .223 from 5.56 gets less accuracy than if you shot .223 from .223. That was the info I got from Fulton armory when building my .223 AR. So the wylde chamber can be used in a bolt gun. It does make a difference. However, reloading for the bolt gun takes it out of the equation since you fire form your brass to the bolt gun chamber anyway... its just more common in AR rifles.

Basic Member
    Her is a link to the barrel I installed. Fulton calls it a 223/5.56 hybrid. Same difference. It just allows for the higher cartridge pressure of the 5.56 while maintaining accuracy with .223...
    http://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelf...ainmuzzle.aspx

Basic Member
    IMO, if you're building a bolt gun for match grade accuracy, I wouldn't want a one size fits all chamber. Figure out what you are gonna shoot and chamber it for that, either 5.56, or .223. If you're gonna shooting heavier bullets, have the throat matched to the bullet. The Wylde chamber is nothing more than marketing hype with a built in safety valve for shooters who can't make up their mind.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    IMO, if you're building a bolt gun for match grade accuracy, I wouldn't want a one size fits all chamber. Figure out what you are gonna shoot and chamber it for that, either 5.56, or .223. If you're gonna shooting heavier bullets, have the throat matched to the bullet. The Wylde chamber is nothing more than marketing hype with a built in safety valve for shooters who can't make up their mind.
    +100. I agree completely and was advise the same from another experienced shooter. I went with the hybrid only because I'm not competing and my ammo purchases vary "wyldely" and depend on price

acemisser
    Don't want to keep up with the Jone's or the Jefferson's..lmao

acemisser
    mY REASON IS CAUSE IT HAS THE 8 TWIST WHICH I AM AFTER..FROM JIM BRIGGS

The .223 that I have is a 7 twist and I planned on shooting heavy long bullet's however it was chambered with a standard .223 reamer that has a very short throat. If I loaded a 77 gr. SMK the bullet would be half way down in the case,,, I need a smith to throat it out longer,, or I could do it myself if I bought the uni throat kit.

Looking forward to the 500 yard match's Ace!

acemisser
    I have done a ton of research on the 7 twist and all the guys I have talked to said they wish they
    had stayed with the 8 twist..For reasons to long to post on here..Even the marine rifle team said
    they prefer the 8 twist over the 7 twist..One is a rifle smith and Todd and I both talked with him
    about it..They all went back to the 8 twist...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    I have done a ton of research on the 7 twist and all the guys I have talked to said they wish they
    had stayed with the 8 twist..For reasons to long to post on here..Even the marine rifle team said
    they prefer the 8 twist over the 7 twist..One is a rifle smith and Todd and I both talked with him
    about it..They all went back to the 8 twist...
    What weight bullets are they shooting? Most shooting 80 grain prefer 7 twist, 90 grain even faster. Rem Match chamber is what I'll be reaming in my next barrel.

The faster the bullet spin's the less it is effected by wind.

Due to gyroscopic's.

Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    The faster the bullet spin's the less it is effected by wind.

Due to gyroscopic's.
    Whaaaaaaatt?????

Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    Whaaaaaaatt?????
    Me and Ace joke around a little. LOL

Basic Member
    oops

Basic Member
    Sorry, but I must disagree with this statement. As an F Class shooter, the 80 & 90 gr bullets are a must at 600+ yards. You simply can't load these bullets in a .223 Rem chamber.
    I use Berger 80gr VLD's and have them moving at 3020fps. That's fast & heavy! It bucks the wind as best any .223 can, and yes, I've beaten .308's at the matches.
    I personally use a 1/7 twist in a 28" Shilen Select Match barrel.

from wikipedia:

The .223 Wylde hybrid chamber was designed by Bill Wylde of Greenup, Illinois, to exploit the accuracy advantages of the .223 Remington chambering without pressure problems or compromising the functional reliability of semi-auto weapons like the AR-15 family when using 5.56×45mm NATO military ammunition.[2] Coincidentally, it shoots the relatively long and heavy 80-grain (5.18 g) bullets commonly used in the Sport Rifle Competition very well and is one of the preferred chambers for that use. The Wylde chamber is used by a few rifle manufacturers who sell "National Match" configuration AR-15 rifles, barrels, and upper receivers.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Ok, I gotcha. Inside joke I guess 👌

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    Whaaaaaaatt?????
    I was checking the specs on the rotary girder...

acemisser
    Hey,did you get my 88mag chamber cut yet..You are the slowest smith I ever met..But your work is superb

Quote Originally Posted by Russmerle View Post
    I was checking the specs on the rotary girder...
    Lol, yeah for real. I'm just relieved that they were kidding because my inner OCD would've compelled me to try to explain this, and I just didn't have the time or the energy lol. Guess its time to get off the d@mn phone and go outside like I tell my kids all the time. 😳