Thread: recoil lug help

Quaticman

recoil lug help

I'm in the process of building a rifle using an MDT LSS-XL chassis, Savage SS short action and Shilen select match barrel. The stock Savage recoil lug is 0.200" but not perfectly flat. I'm thinking an aftermarket precision ground recoil lug is the way to go. What thickness would you recommend? Caliber is .260 Remington.

Basic Member
    I recently built a rifle based on a Savage action and Shilen select match barrel. I got talked into buying a fancy nut and fancy recoil lug. Well, I'd have to say they both look real nice, and the price wasn't out of line for a low volume specialty part. Still, the two parts were a chunk of money which could have been spent elsewhere. Since I epoxy bedded the action I'm still asking myself if it was worth it since the factory lug seemed just as true even if it wasn't quite as nice looking. The barrel nut, maybe, but the lug..............I don't think it was worth it.

I can't remember when anyone at the range asked, "Gee, that's a nice looking gun. Would you be so kind as to show me your recoil lug?"

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
    I recently built a rifle based on a Savage action and Shilen select match barrel. I got talked into buying a fancy nut and fancy recoil lug. Well, I'd have to say they both look real nice, and the price wasn't out of line for a low volume specialty part. Still, the two parts were a chunk of money which could have been spent elsewhere. Since I epoxy bedded the action I'm still asking myself if it was worth it since the factory lug seemed just as true even if it wasn't quite as nice looking. The barrel nut, maybe, but the lug..............I don't think it was worth it.

I can't remember when anyone at the range asked, "Gee, that's a nice looking gun. Would you be so kind as to show me your recoil lug?"
    Thanks for making me spit my coffee on the laptop.
    The part about showing the recoil lug was rather amusing....

And yes, you're right.
    Got one of those fancy .250" lugs myself. Not worth the extra cash if it's bedded in place.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Team Savage
    If someone asked to see my recoil lug, they'd probably get a size 14 somewhere they didn't want it. LOL.

Basic Member
    A precision ground recoil lug has nothing to do with bedding, except that the bedding provides a flat surface for the lug to sit on. The stamped out factory lugs are notorious for being thicker at the bottom than at the top, which throughs your action out of axis with the bore. Of the two, your better off getting the precision ground recoil lug and going with the factory nut, if you must scrimp. .240" or .250" lug is heavy enough to handle the recoil of anything I care to shoot, IMO. :-)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaticman View Post
    I'm in the process of building a rifle using an MDT LSS-XL chassis, Savage SS short action and Shilen select match barrel. The stock Savage recoil lug is 0.200" but not perfectly flat. I'm thinking an aftermarket precision ground recoil lug is the way to go. What thickness would you recommend? Caliber is .260 Remington.
    I just recently finished a 300WM build with LSS-XL chassis, Shilen select match and bought a NSS precision nut and recoil lug. I was gtg on the nut since I didn't want the smooth factory nut. The lug is also important because it is sandwiched between the nut and the reciever. So precision here is just as important as in the nut or even having a true square reciever face... It's worth it for $27 IMO. You'll prolly really see the difference when you get it.

Banned
    Just want to chime in guys... Only a couple places for these two little parts. And seems like the are all stainless. I went absolutely nuts looking for cro-moly parts to match my blued Shilen barrel, on my all blackout build. Finally found PTG(Pacific Tool & Guage). They make both a machined barrel nut & recoil lug in cro-moly steel. The barrel nut comes blued. I had to blue the recoil lug myself. No biggie. Here they both are