Thread: Confirming that rifle is an early production 110.

Basic Member

Confirming that rifle is an early production 110.

Picked up a 110 yesterday that I am beginning to believe is a rather early 110.

Serial Number: 12xxx
    Caliber: .243Win

The lack of a letter in the s/n, aluminum Indian buttplate, and black insert in bolt cut lead me to believe it may be an early short action 110. Does this sound correct?

Thank you for any information.

It's possible, measure the distance between the action screws. If it is a long action it will be 5.062 if it is an older 110 short action it will be 4.522.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dpfelton View Post
    It's possible, measure the distance between the action screws. If it is a long action it will be 5.062 if it is an older 110 short action it will be 4.522.

A bit confusing, as there are three screws, but if I measure from the two screws at each end of the magazine, I get approx. 4 1/2".

I have done some more reading, and this rifle also has the 'band type'(probably the wrong name) extractor and the ejector comes up from the magazine box.

If Wiki is correct, this rifle was made between '59 & '65.

Don't know if this helps, if you asking about the year made I would call savage. Here is a link or the two action screws the third screws is just to hold the trigger guard in place. Fourth post down.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/thre...vs-110.142385/

Basic Member
    Thank you for the link.

The exact year of production isn't as important to me. Mostly trying to determine if the features on this rifle are from the early version.

Wiki says:

"In 1959 a short-action version was introduced, chambered in .243 Winchester and .308 Winchester ....

The Model 110 was significantly altered in 1966 in order to improve the design and reduce production costs. This included a new adjustable trigger and a new bolt including a plunger-type ejector passing through the bolt face rather than the magazine-mounted, spring-loaded ejector that was part of Brewer's original design. This new ejector allowed the use of a detachable box magazine, which was also introduced in 1966, along with a hinged floorplate model."

This rifle lacks plunger type ejector in the bolt, and has the magazine mounted ejector.
    If this Wiki description is correct, this would be one of the early short actions, before the bolt modifications.

Yep, that's an early one which would put it in the 1958-1965 range with that bolt style.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

i have a first year 110L left-handed bolt in 308, yours sounds like yours is one of those early rifles too... great shooter, no modern stuff will fit though...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slam45 View Post
    .. no modern stuff will fit though...
    Ammunition or rifle parts ?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hill View Post
    Ammunition or rifle parts ?

Rifle parts. You will have a very very very hard time finding an aftermarket stock for that action.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idunham View Post
    Rifle parts. You will have a very very very hard time finding an aftermarket stock for that action.
    Why would you want to replace the stock?

It is one of the slimmest and best handling stocks from that era I have seen. Not fat and clunky like so many others.

yes the stock on my 308 was broken... it now has a custom glass stock that cost much more that a new savage... great rifle though...

Basic Member
    Gotcha.
    The implication I took from your first post was there was some reason to replace the existing, unbroken stock.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hill View Post
    Why would you want to replace the stock?

It is one of the slimmest and best handling stocks from that era I have seen. Not fat and clunky like so many others.
    There isn't one really, unless you want to customize it.