Thread: 8 rounds....

LongRange

8 rounds....

well our comp season starts the end of this month...600yd F-class match on the 20th and a long range varmint practice on the 27th and then goes into full swing next month...i think this year im going to stick to the long range varmint and 1000yd F-class matches...id like to shoot some of the PRS matches but i just dont think thats going to happen this year as i dont have a reliable repeater...YET...but i am going to build one hopefully this year.

i havent shot my comp rifle in about 2-1/2 months and have made a few changes to it since i last shot it in November so i thought better get some trigger time and see what effects the changes had...i also am about out of the lot of the berger hybrids i was shooting and needed to check the new lot against the old lot as the new lot has .013 less bearing surface and seats .006 longer before touching the lands.

the other changes are a new SSS comp trigger...some work to the inside of the bolt body to remove a few small burrs around the cocking piece and ramp area and i radius'd the firing pin.....

first 8 rounds at 100yds to check the POI between the old lot and the new lot...and just an FYI...this was one of my better days and normally changes dont work out like this for me LOL....and i only shot 4 each because if the new lot needed some adjusting i still had 70 bullets left from the old lot for the 600yd match...

and the primers...prior to radiusing the firing pin i was getting some cratering and blanking as i run a little higher pressures...the pin is set to .019 protrusion now....crappy cell phone pic but there is no cratering or blanking now...

Basic Member
    Id say your ready, id be affraid to even clean it lol.

LongRange
    that and afraid to shoot it before the 20th LOL!!

ive got 691 rounds through the barrel as of yesterday...i found a load the first OCW i shot and then adjusted seating depth to where im at now...i then cleaned it and shot a 5 round group at 100yds...round 1 was just outside the group but touching the other 4...i then shot 200 rounds and cleaned it and shot a 5 shot group and it was the exact same as the last time i cleaned it and shot a group.

when i first put this barrel on i shot one round and cleaned for 3 rounds...round 1 i pulled one LIGHT blue patch and that was it no more copper...2 and 3 no copper...i shot 10 round then cleaned and only 2 LIGHT blue patches...after 200 rounds i cleaned and pulled 2 LIGHT blue patches and no more copper so im guessing that because the barrel holds no copper the POI dont change from clean to fouled(if you can even call it fouled).

the part i dont like about this barrel is going to be when i have to change it because i think this is one of those once in a LIFE TIME barrels...ive never had a barrel shoot so CONSISTENTLY regardless of environmentals or if clean or dirty...i do have another blank in my safe im just hoping its from the same lot.

D*** son!! That's awesome. I wouldn't touch a thing either!
    Is that the Bartlein barrel you're shooting?

Basic Member
    Mighty nice shooting there LongRange.

It still kind of amazes me that someone can send a bunch of little smashed into shape pieces of copper and lead spewed out of a hollow piece of steel by a contained explosion into one ragged hole at a distance of 100 yards or more.

F-Class sounds like a lot of fun. I wish there were some long distance rifle matches around here. Maybe I will start one.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    D*** son!! That's awesome. I wouldn't touch a thing either!
    Is that the Bartlein barrel you're shooting?
    yes its a bartlein...im wanting to try a kreiger for my 260AI but its kinda hard for me to order one with these results.

Quote Originally Posted by geezerhood View Post

It still kind of amazes me that someone can send a bunch of little smashed into shape pieces of copper and lead spewed out of a hollow piece of steel by a contained explosion into one ragged hole at a distance of 100 yards or more.

F-Class sounds like a lot of fun. I wish there were some long distance rifle matches around here. Maybe I will start one.
    thanks...and what you say above is what got me into long range shooting and STILL amazes me to be honest.

F-class is pretty fun but i prefer the long range varmint matches as they are much more challenging and a true test of shooter skills as well as equipment.

Can you elaborate on "long range varmint matches"? Around here the short-range guys do "Varmint for Score" matches at 100 and 200 yds. These are basically firing 25 rounds over several timed intervals into bullseye-type scored targets at 100 and 200. Max possible score at each distance is 250-25X (25 hits in the 10-ring, and touching the tiny center dot gives you an X as a bonus).
    Is what you're describing similar, but at longer distances? Or some form of silhouette shooting?

Most impressive!

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    Can you elaborate on "long range varmint matches"? Around here the short-range guys do "Varmint for Score" matches at 100 and 200 yds. These are basically firing 25 rounds over several timed intervals into bullseye-type scored targets at 100 and 200. Max possible score at each distance is 250-25X (25 hits in the 10-ring, and touching the tiny center dot gives you an X as a bonus).
    Is what you're describing similar, but at longer distances? Or some form of silhouette shooting?
    we shoot from 220yds to 850yds...targets are actual size AR500 varmint silhouettes that hang on conveyor belt straps...the distances you shoot is determined by your ranking heres a description of how everything works..

Long Range Varmint Silhouette Match Description

Long Range Varmint Silhouette (LRVS) is a fun, challenging rifle match which will test and develop your abilities in the arena of precision rifle shooting. In contrast with many typical “target rifle” games, LRVS is designed to improve technical skills related to hardware and technique within a practical context. Shooters are faced with having to change target and range for each shot. The size of the targets are such that minor corrections for changing conditions are common on a shot-to-shot basis, requiring the shooter to rapidly assess the conditions prior to each shot. Shooters engage targets from 220 to 850 yards, depending on the class qualification. Many competitors find that the most challenging aspect of the match is to assemble and maintain a consistent rifle/optics/load system, as well as pay closer attention to the fundamentals of positioning and trigger control. Suggested minimum requirements for the match are a 1 MOA-accuracy centerfire rifle with an optic of at least 10x magnification which can be rapidly adjusted for impact. Typical competitors use a heavy-barrel bolt-action rifle in 6mm – .30cal chamberings, with a 15-20x target scope and graduated reticle. Triggers with less than 2-lb pull weights are strongly discouraged, as is ammunition which creates reliability problems when cycling loaded cartridges – such things are better left to bench shooters and have no place in the field.

image: http://palominogunclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/DSC_1363-600x399.jpg
    Basic Equipment

• Eye & ear protection.
    • Rifle with adjustable target-type scope or holdover reticle. Heavy-barreled “precision” type rifle recommended.
    • Field bipod or backpack-style front rest.
    • Ammunition – centerfire caliber .17 to .338 (“heavy varmint” caliber or bullet weight recommended). NO ARMOR-PIERCING OR STEEL CORE AMMO IS ALLOWED, FULL METAL JACKET AMMO PLEASE SEE THE MATCH DIRECTOR FOR APPROVAL, if we see FMJ on the line we will inspect the ammo.
    • 40 rounds of ammunition for record, plus another 10-20 for sighters (see rules on sighter classes) and potential shootoffs.
    • Binoculars or spotting scope if available.
    • Fee: $15 Club Member, $20 Non-member, $5 Junior (<18).

image: http://palominogunclub.org/wp-conten...ap-600x534.jpg
    Washoe County Regional Shooting Facility Range Map

Course of Fire

• Squads: Shooters are separated into squads after signup and the safety briefing. Each squad is assigned a firing position.
    • Sighter period (FOR MARKSMAN AND SHARPSHOOTER CLASSES ONLY – Expert and Master do not get sighters): before the start of the match, there will be a 25:00 minute sighter period on hanging gongs at each range. This is provided primarily for a fast check of zeros or estimated drops. Because all squad members need to check zeros, each shooter should attempt to complete this check in less than 10 minutes. Please come to the match with your rifle sighted in and have approximate drop data.
    • Hanging steel varmint targets are shot at various ranges following the scorecard for each class. A total of (4) 10-rd relays are fired by each competitor.
    • A Relay consists of (2) 5-round Strings, each taking no more than 3:00 minutes, with a 1:00 minute rest period between Strings.
    • Competitors will shoot 1 round (single-load) at each varmint type during a 5-round String. Target order is called by a spotter using the scorecard.
    • Each line of targets (approximate ranges): Squirrel at 230 yards, Squirrel at 330 yards*, Crow at 425 yards, Woodchuck at 425 yards, Rabbit at 550 yards, Coyote at 550 yards, Coyote at 650 yards*, Coyote at 850 yards* (*depends on Class qualification).

General Rules

• Arrive by 8AM on event dates to receive the mandatory safety briefing before the match.
    • This is a “long range varmint” oriented match. Approach it as you would if setting up in the field for long-range shots.
    • All firing will be done single-load in the prone position, from a field rest of some type such as a backpack or hunting bipod. Allowances for bad backs, joints, and other physical limitations are made at the Match Director’s discretion. We have benches available for these situations, the rifle support rules still apply.
    • No artificial rear support is allowed – the rear of the rifle must be supported by the shooter’s arms/body only.
    • No mechanical rests or “benchrest” type equipment will be allowed. If you are not sure about your gear, just ask the Match Director to review it. Generally speaking, equipment that would be used in the field is legal for use in the match.
    • The ideal calibers for this are the .243 class and up using long range match bullets, however people have shot this match successfully with everything from a .223 to a .300WM.

Scoring

• Targets consist of hanging steel silhouettes, painted white. Points are scored by “hitting” the target.
    • A “hit” is defined by a bullet strike anywhere on the white steel target surface. Hits will be observed by 2 spotters in each squad using visual target hit indication (violent movement of the target, bullet splash on white paint).
    • Spotting is an essential skill for long range shooting. Participants are expected to aid squad members by spotting and giving accurate calls. This is a good time to hone skills in observing trace, reading hit and miss dust patterns, and detecting correct target behavior for hits.

Classes/Awards

• There are 4 classes in Long Range Varmint Silhouette (highest to lowest): Master, Expert, Sharpshooter, and Marksman. Each class is awarded 1st-3rd Place ribbons at each match. Junior (less than 18 years old) shooters are eligible for 1st & 2nd Junior as well as regular awards at each match. There are additional awards given after each season based on total points earned.
    • In order to advance in class, a shooter has to score a given point count in the previous class. In order to move down a class, a shooter must in three consecutive appearances score below a lower threshold for that class (see Class specifics below).

1. Master Class – Shoots targets at the following yardages: 330, 425, 550, 850. NO SIGHTERS. Qualification: Score 30 or more in Expert Class (score less than 20 three times to move back).
    2. Expert Class – Shoots targets at the following yardages: 330, 425, 550, 650. NO SIGHTERS.Qualification: Score 25 or more in Sharpshooter Class (score less than 15 three times to move back).
    3. Sharpshooter Class – Shoots targets at the following yardages: 230, 425, 550, 650. Qualification: Score 15 or more in Marksman Class (score less than 10 three times to move back).
    4. Marksman Class – Shoots targets at the following yardages: 230, 425, 550.

Read more at http://palominogunclub.org/167/long-...mkxdkKVDXy8.99

Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    Most impressive!
    thanks Doc

That sounds like a whole pile of fun! Nothing remotely close to that available down here. Good reason to move out west..

LongRange
    if you look at the site they have just about every type of match you can think of...the PRS matches where a big hit last year so they stepped those up this year..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geezerhood View Post

Good idea, my father used to say he only drank if he was by himself or with some body.
    No reason you couldnt hold a match the same way.

691 rounds out of a possible life span of 2000?...or more?
    Dave...dude...Id say your set for the comp........but If I had a barrel that's able to keep repeatability such that of the one you have?......Id use it sparingly and hope to hell I don't run out of the same lot# of what ever components Im using. That barrel is just bad ass! What was the cost of the Bart barrel?
    Last edited by eddiesindian; 02-12-2016 at 11:33 AM.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

LongRange
    sorry eddie i missed your post.

as far as barrel life im hoping for 2300 to 2500 before things start going south but expecting 2000 maybe 2200 accurate rounds.
    as far as components goes i have enough to shoot this barrel out and then some but when switching components(powder,primers,bullet lots)most times its just a small tweak and it will shoot the same...i do need to buy some new brass because i was shooting this brass in 2 rifles and it now has 16 loads on it and the pockets are getting a little looser than i like.

barrel cost...are you sure you want to know? LOL...$680 bucks!! and honestly i think this is one of those ONCE IN A LIFE TIME barrels but we will see as i ordered another blank shortly after i got this one shooting so i have a blank sitting in my safe and was told it is from the same lot.

barrels are consumables just like other components...and even if i shoot it sparingly im going to have to re-barrel about mid to late season...
    760 rounds through it now as of yesterday...had to readjust trigger weight,stock and re-zero but have it dialed now.
    480 for the season in the long range varmint matches
    780 rounds if i only shoot one sighter my first string if F-class and only shoot the 1000yd matches
    720 rounds if i only shoot 20 rounds each weekend for practice from now on...so that puts me at approximately 2740 rounds at the END of the season...AT least 240 to 440 rounds past what im hoping to get out of this barrel.

So 680 is total cost after after smithing ,brk,etc...?
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

LongRange
    Sorry I was a little high....$365+shipping for the blank and $250 or so for clambering and threading....so about $600-$650 depending on smith....$120 for the break.

Very nice shooting LongRange! And what a fine barrel you have. I've never seen a Bartlien that didn't shoot,, my freind has one in 6 br and it cleans up and shoots at the very top of the pack.
    There really is an excuse for everything!

LongRange
    thanks Dan...its tuff forking out this much for barrels about twice a year but makes it a little easier with these types of results.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    we shoot from 220yds to 850yds...targets are actual size AR500 varmint silhouettes that hang on conveyor belt straps...the distances you shoot is determined by your ranking heres a description of how everything works..

Long Range Varmint Silhouette Match Description

Long Range Varmint Silhouette (LRVS) is a fun, challenging rifle match which will test and develop your abilities in the arena of precision rifle shooting. In contrast with many typical “target rifle” games, LRVS is designed to improve technical skills related to hardware and technique within a practical context. Shooters are faced with having to change target and range for each shot. The size of the targets are such that minor corrections for changing conditions are common on a shot-to-shot basis, requiring the shooter to rapidly assess the conditions prior to each shot. Shooters engage targets from 220 to 850 yards, depending on the class qualification. Many competitors find that the most challenging aspect of the match is to assemble and maintain a consistent rifle/optics/load system, as well as pay closer attention to the fundamentals of positioning and trigger control. Suggested minimum requirements for the match are a 1 MOA-accuracy centerfire rifle with an optic of at least 10x magnification which can be rapidly adjusted for impact. Typical competitors use a heavy-barrel bolt-action rifle in 6mm – .30cal chamberings, with a 15-20x target scope and graduated reticle. Triggers with less than 2-lb pull weights are strongly discouraged, as is ammunition which creates reliability problems when cycling loaded cartridges – such things are better left to bench shooters and have no place in the field.

image: http://palominogunclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/DSC_1363-600x399.jpg
    Basic Equipment

• Eye & ear protection.
    • Rifle with adjustable target-type scope or holdover reticle. Heavy-barreled “precision” type rifle recommended.
    • Field bipod or backpack-style front rest.
    • Ammunition – centerfire caliber .17 to .338 (“heavy varmint” caliber or bullet weight recommended). NO ARMOR-PIERCING OR STEEL CORE AMMO IS ALLOWED, FULL METAL JACKET AMMO PLEASE SEE THE MATCH DIRECTOR FOR APPROVAL, if we see FMJ on the line we will inspect the ammo.
    • 40 rounds of ammunition for record, plus another 10-20 for sighters (see rules on sighter classes) and potential shootoffs.
    • Binoculars or spotting scope if available.
    • Fee: $15 Club Member, $20 Non-member, $5 Junior (<18).

image: http://palominogunclub.org/wp-conten...ap-600x534.jpg
    Washoe County Regional Shooting Facility Range Map

Course of Fire

• Squads: Shooters are separated into squads after signup and the safety briefing. Each squad is assigned a firing position.
    • Sighter period (FOR MARKSMAN AND SHARPSHOOTER CLASSES ONLY – Expert and Master do not get sighters): before the start of the match, there will be a 25:00 minute sighter period on hanging gongs at each range. This is provided primarily for a fast check of zeros or estimated drops. Because all squad members need to check zeros, each shooter should attempt to complete this check in less than 10 minutes. Please come to the match with your rifle sighted in and have approximate drop data.
    • Hanging steel varmint targets are shot at various ranges following the scorecard for each class. A total of (4) 10-rd relays are fired by each competitor.
    • A Relay consists of (2) 5-round Strings, each taking no more than 3:00 minutes, with a 1:00 minute rest period between Strings.
    • Competitors will shoot 1 round (single-load) at each varmint type during a 5-round String. Target order is called by a spotter using the scorecard.
    • Each line of targets (approximate ranges): Squirrel at 230 yards, Squirrel at 330 yards*, Crow at 425 yards, Woodchuck at 425 yards, Rabbit at 550 yards, Coyote at 550 yards, Coyote at 650 yards*, Coyote at 850 yards* (*depends on Class qualification).

General Rules

• Arrive by 8AM on event dates to receive the mandatory safety briefing before the match.
    • This is a “long range varmint” oriented match. Approach it as you would if setting up in the field for long-range shots.
    • All firing will be done single-load in the prone position, from a field rest of some type such as a backpack or hunting bipod. Allowances for bad backs, joints, and other physical limitations are made at the Match Director’s discretion. We have benches available for these situations, the rifle support rules still apply.
    • No artificial rear support is allowed – the rear of the rifle must be supported by the shooter’s arms/body only.
    • No mechanical rests or “benchrest” type equipment will be allowed. If you are not sure about your gear, just ask the Match Director to review it. Generally speaking, equipment that would be used in the field is legal for use in the match.
    • The ideal calibers for this are the .243 class and up using long range match bullets, however people have shot this match successfully with everything from a .223 to a .300WM.

Scoring

• Targets consist of hanging steel silhouettes, painted white. Points are scored by “hitting” the target.
    • A “hit” is defined by a bullet strike anywhere on the white steel target surface. Hits will be observed by 2 spotters in each squad using visual target hit indication (violent movement of the target, bullet splash on white paint).
    • Spotting is an essential skill for long range shooting. Participants are expected to aid squad members by spotting and giving accurate calls. This is a good time to hone skills in observing trace, reading hit and miss dust patterns, and detecting correct target behavior for hits.

Classes/Awards

• There are 4 classes in Long Range Varmint Silhouette (highest to lowest): Master, Expert, Sharpshooter, and Marksman. Each class is awarded 1st-3rd Place ribbons at each match. Junior (less than 18 years old) shooters are eligible for 1st & 2nd Junior as well as regular awards at each match. There are additional awards given after each season based on total points earned.
    • In order to advance in class, a shooter has to score a given point count in the previous class. In order to move down a class, a shooter must in three consecutive appearances score below a lower threshold for that class (see Class specifics below).

1. Master Class – Shoots targets at the following yardages: 330, 425, 550, 850. NO SIGHTERS. Qualification: Score 30 or more in Expert Class (score less than 20 three times to move back).
    2. Expert Class – Shoots targets at the following yardages: 330, 425, 550, 650. NO SIGHTERS.Qualification: Score 25 or more in Sharpshooter Class (score less than 15 three times to move back).
    3. Sharpshooter Class – Shoots targets at the following yardages: 230, 425, 550, 650. Qualification: Score 15 or more in Marksman Class (score less than 10 three times to move back).
    4. Marksman Class – Shoots targets at the following yardages: 230, 425, 550.

Read more at http://palominogunclub.org/167/long-...mkxdkKVDXy8.99

thanks Doc
    That sounds exactly like the match I would love to shoot. Wish we had some more options here in WI.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    thanks Dan...its tuff forking out this much for barrels about twice a year but makes it a little easier with these types of results.
    This statement peaked my curiousity. If you are buying barrels twice a tear what are you doing with the old barrels, do you have a massive stock pile of old barrels in the closet. or do you sell them off as used barrels with X number of rounds through them and when is a barrel considered out of accuracy. 1/2 moa, 1moa? I don't shoot the calibers I know of that you shoot so I'm not trying to scarf up old barrels just curious.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

LongRange
    my smith gives me $50 bucks toward labor for them...he turns them into pistol muzzle breaks.
    i shot 2800 rounds through a shilen select match and it was still pretty accurate but started throwing random flyers...the difference between that barrel and most others ive shot is IT WOULD NOT shoot anything i tried above 2770 or so so it was never really ran hard...i start watching for a barrel to start throwing flyers right around 2000 rounds...not so much for moa because i have days i can shoot 1 hole and the next day not so much so i look for unexplained flyers.....and when it does i will give it a couple hundred more rounds and then swap it....i wouldnt sell off any of my used barrels because honestly i could see it turning into a problem.
    Last edited by LongRange; 02-29-2016 at 10:16 AM.

cool I was just curious.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]