Thread: Response to 'ATTENTION: PayPal Payments "

Response to 'ATTENTION: PayPal Payments "

It has not been resolved as if this point, but USPS MO are not fool proof either. I usually send my money order certified mail and have not had issues, until now. I sent a letter with a MO in it to Walnut Creek. It left the Oakland facility at 7:56pm for delivery. It is stuck in the system as such since Jan 15th. I have filed a complaint with the Consumer Affairs dept of the Post Office. The local Post office is useless and gave me a phone number to call. So far I have had no luck but have found out that I will have to pay a $10.00 fee, to find out if it has or has not been cashed, the money order that is. Then if it has not been cashed, for a $6.10 fee they will send me a new MO for the $31.00..That THEY lost. There is no way to talk to someone in person about this, ou have to call that number and they call you back...if at all. As of this writing I can do nothing because it in in the system as being in transit to be delivered. No one can tell me how long before they will admit that it has been lost. And if they do say its lost, I still have to pay them even if it is their fault it is lost.

I wil go back to PayPal and eat the 4% rather than deal with the Post office... YMMV
    if this is in the wrong place , please delete or put it where it should be..

Robert Hohman

I had the same thing happen and months later they refunded my money after their fees. Then two weeks later the vendor got the check and cashed it so the USPS sends me a bill for the check. Talk about insult to injury....
    355th TFW

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WV338 View Post
    I had the same thing happen and months later they refunded my money after their fees. Then two weeks later the vendor got the check and cashed it so the USPS sends me a bill for the check. Talk about insult to injury....
    i hope you got YOUR FEES before you paid them! LOL their rip-offs!

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Basic Member
    Isn't the Post Office run by the U.S. Government? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhohman View Post
    It has not been resolved as if this point, but USPS MO are not fool proof either. I usually send my money order certified mail and have not had issues, until now. I sent a letter with a MO in it to Walnut Creek. It left the Oakland facility at 7:56pm for delivery. It is stuck in the system as such since Jan 15th. I have filed a complaint with the Consumer Affairs dept of the Post Office. The local Post office is useless and gave me a phone number to call. So far I have had no luck but have found out that I will have to pay a $10.00 fee, to find out if it has or has not been cashed, the money order that is. Then if it has not been cashed, for a $6.10 fee they will send me a new MO for the $31.00..That THEY lost. There is no way to talk to someone in person about this, ou have to call that number and they call you back...if at all. As of this writing I can do nothing because it in in the system as being in transit to be delivered. No one can tell me how long before they will admit that it has been lost. And if they do say its lost, I still have to pay them even if it is their fault it is lost.

I wil go back to PayPal and eat the 4% rather than deal with the Post office... YMMV
    if this is in the wrong place , please delete or put it where it should be..

Robert Hohman
    I agree with you whole hog! The P.O. is a royal pain to deal with concerning lost MO's and lost packages. If I can't pay a seller with check or Paypal(gift), no sense in wasting my time.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Quote Originally Posted by TORCHRIDER View Post
    Isn't the Post Office run by the U.S. Government? ;-)
    Yup, therein lies the problem. The "guberment" is incapable of grabbing it's butt even with instructions written on their palm.
    Last edited by GaCop; 02-07-2016 at 07:17 AM.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Of all the payment methods out there the absolute WORST for protecting the buyer is mailing off a Money Order. It is however the BEST for the seller of course since they risk nothing if they get cash for the MO at the post office. This sure seems to be a lopsided arrangement to me.

USPS or ANY money order mailed off for payments offers ZERO protection for the buyer in most cases. If you get ripped off and you paid with a USPS money order, get in line because there are thousands of people ahead of you and most likely none of them, including YOU will ever get their money back or the product if the "seller" gets the MO and cashes it somehow. The police are too busy to bother with your problem and the US Postal Inspectors are more concerned with significantly larger theft / fraud than your $100 barrel transaction.

Same deal with PayPal Gift - The reason there is no fee is because the sender of the money (Buyer) has no recourse what so ever if they never get the item they purchased or if it isn't as described.

As for the US Mail, I have dealt with the US Post Office on insurance claims and they never ended fairly. I will never ship anything worth more than about $50 by the US Mail as that is my comfort zone for throwing money away. Your comfort zone might be higher or lower than that. UPS/FedEx cost more but they have covered me 100% on every loss / damage over the years and they don't charge you "fees" to cover for their mistakes.

I have passed up on some really good deals on various gun selling web sites because the seller would only accept a USPS Money Order. Sorry Mr. Seller I will ONLY pay with a method that covers my six 100% or very close to it on higher dollar items. Discover, Visa/MasterCard, American Express, PayPal - in order of preference though I really don't like to use PayPal if I can help it, and if you sell a gun with it, you are 1 - being dishonest, 2 - risking having your money held and your PayPal account locked up and 3- dealing with an anti gun company, but sometimes that is the only option for me for non firearm purchases, when the seller doesn't take credit cards.

I received an email from PayPal this week about a class action suit against them for improper account holds placed on some of its customers :

http://www.lowcards.com/paypal-reach...nt-holds-39027
    Welcome to my home.....FYI..... That locked door you kicked down was for your protection.... not mine!!

Quote Originally Posted by geezerhood View Post
    Of all the payment methods out there the absolute WORST for protecting the buyer is mailing off a Money Order. It is however the BEST for the seller of course since they risk nothing if they get cash for the MO at the post office. This sure seems to be a lopsided arrangement to me.

USPS or ANY money order mailed off for payments offers ZERO protection for the buyer in most cases. If you get ripped off and you paid with a USPS money order, get in line because there are thousands of people ahead of you and most likely none of them, including YOU will ever get their money back or the product if the "seller" gets the MO and cashes it somehow. The police are too busy to bother with your problem and the US Postal Inspectors are more concerned with significantly larger theft / fraud than your $100 barrel transaction.

Same deal with PayPal Gift - The reason there is no fee is because the sender of the money (Buyer) has no recourse what so ever if they never get the item they purchased or if it isn't as described.

As for the US Mail, I have dealt with the US Post Office on insurance claims and they never ended fairly. I will never ship anything worth more than about $50 by the US Mail as that is my comfort zone for throwing money away. Your comfort zone might be higher or lower than that. UPS/FedEx cost more but they have covered me 100% on every loss / damage over the years and they don't charge you "fees" to cover for their mistakes.

I have passed up on some really good deals on various gun selling web sites because the seller would only accept a USPS Money Order. Sorry Mr. Seller I will ONLY pay with a method that covers my six 100% or very close to it on higher dollar items. Discover, Visa/MasterCard, American Express, PayPal - in order of preference though I really don't like to use PayPal if I can help it, and if you sell a gun with it, you are 1 - being dishonest, 2 - risking having your money held and your PayPal account locked up and 3- dealing with an anti gun company, but sometimes that is the only option for me for non firearm purchases, when the seller doesn't take credit cards.
    I agree with every word above. A Postal or any Money Order is useless. I was told by the bank that people are forging money orders like every other form of payments. They put a hold on a Money Order just like they do for a personal or business checks. The money order has to clear the FRB first before your account is credited.

Out of all the payments above, Credit Cards are about the safest. If you are paying for an item and state so when sending a PayPal Payment, your pretty well covered as well.

Any credit card payment I have had issues with usually is taken care of the same day, or by 9am the next morning. I haven't had an issue with PayPal yet!

Now filing a claim for a lost item, well I don't care which one your using, it's a pain to get it paid. You have to wait at least 30 days before filing a claim so they can make sure it's truly lost.

JMO, Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    I use the Post Office at every opportunity. Had a couple claims over the years. Not quick, but settled fairly. Never had any problems with PayPal either but I sure don't appreciate their stand on firearm related items.

As with any transaction between a buyer and seller, it's YOUR responsibility to protect yourself. I pointed out why PayPal Gift's are a very bad idea, but if you're willing to take the risk feel free, but it's on you. Same with trying to sneak a non-gift PayPal payment through for a gun.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I look at it like this.

People can pay me however they want. I'll take cash, certified/personal checks, and USPS MO all the same. PayPal, I'll accept it either way, gift or goods. I'm not out to screw anyone over and I know that.

When it comes to paying people, however, it really comes down to the amount for me. Anything ~$200 or less, I'll usually take a chance and send it as a gift (or a check if they prefer). Anything over that, it's gotta be face to face, CC, or legit PayPal. No exceptions. It's really the only way that offers the buyer any sort of protection.

Biggest thing, use common sense.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]