Thread: Chronograph Comparison Article; where did I see it?

Basic Member

Chronograph Comparison Article; where did I see it?

A few months ago I stumbled across a link to a very well researched and written article comparing consumer grade chronographs for accuracy and dependability. Trouble is, I can't find that link anymore.
    The author, a woman if I recall properly, compared various chronographs to a scientific grade chronograph and provided various points of measurement, errors in speed readings both in quantity and relative to the standard, fast or slow.
    Some chronos suffered from placement errors of the sensors, resulting in gross speed errors, some had poor shades, and some did very well with large bullets but had trouble picking a consistent place on a small bullet to use as a measuring point. Tip or base of the bullet is equally good unless one sensor picks the base and the other the tip of the passing bullet, then you get measurement errors.

I do remember that of all the tested units, the one with the smallest error spread and with the spread centered around the zero point of the standard, was the magnetospeed barrel mounted chrono.

Do any of you guys, you know, the ones with the memory like an elephant, remember reading this article and where you found it?

Would make a great sticky.

Thanks for any help.

I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    If anyone could remember where to find this, I figured you'd be the one to remember that article, Darkker. Thank you!

Now I just got to work up the coin to buy the magnetospeed

They should post it as a sticky. Very good read.

Thanks again!

Basic Member
    Wonder if the MagnetoSpeed Sporter is as accurate as the V3 they tested. I've certainly enjoyed mine and really enjoyed the lower price.

Interesting to note that they do not experience POI shift with the MagnetoSpeed, while I get about 8" POI (almost directly up) shift on my gun. We got less on my friends Kimber and I will be interested in seeing what happens on my heavy barrel 25-06 when it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hair_Boxers View Post
    Wonder if the MagnetoSpeed Sporter is as accurate as the V3 they tested. I've certainly enjoyed mine and really enjoyed the lower price.

Interesting to note that they do not experience POI shift with the MagnetoSpeed, while I get about 8" POI (almost directly up) shift on my gun. We got less on my friends Kimber and I will be interested in seeing what happens on my heavy barrel 25-06 when it's done.

Interestingly MZ5 also had the same POI issues.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Interestingly MZ5 also had the same POI issues.
    I talked to MagnetoSpeed and they said it might be to muzzle blast being deflected by the arm. I haven't tried shooting it at say 3 or 9 o'clock to see if POI shifts in same direction, but will do so. May also try the different shim and/or distance from muzzle.

I just load 8 rounds for each test load. I can run them 4/4 over chrony and for accuracy or 3/5 or whatever. Not ideal, but setting the MagnetoSpeed up is so darn easy it balances out I think.

bdz65
    Why would it be surprising that clamping the MagnetoSpeed to the end of your barrel might change barrel harmonics and POI???

I had a shooting croney. Gave it away when I got my magnetospeed.

I do my load development. Pretty much know what the velocities will be from the load data. Once I find my load I shoot ten with the magnetospeed and that tells the tale. I don't even bother looking at the group.

If I am not happy with the velocity, ES or SD then I try seating depth, different powder or different bullet.

For me finding that magic combination that brings out the best in a rifle is the most fun part. Once that is done I often lose interest in that rifle.