Thread: Plastic bottom "metal" and Boyd's stocks

cttb

Plastic bottom "metal" and Boyd's stocks

I have a Trophy Hunter XP in .308 (short action model 11). It has the plastic bottom "metal" and trigger guard that are separate from the plastic stock. I'm thinking about switching the stock to a Boyd's featherweight thumbhole model. Of course, Boyd's says you have to buy bottom metal. I don't see why the plastic bottom "metal" that comes with the plastic stock won't work. Has anybody tried using the plastic bottom "metal" with a Boyd's stock?

Also, if you have the plastic Trophy Hunter stock with the separate bottom "metal" and trigger guard and switched to a wood or laminate stock, did you see any change in accuracy? That particular stock is actually not bad from a purely functional standpoint, and I'm curious what kind of difference a wood or laminate stock actually makes. This rifle shoots very well (my last three-shot group to confirm zero was .638" at 200 yards), and I'm hesitant to mess with it.

Team Savage
    Funny how many configurations that Savage made that rifle in. I bought a .308 Trophy Hunter XP back in November from Bass pro. It had no "bottom metal" pieces, just the plastic "Axis" style magazine bottom with the tab that fit directly into the stock. Later, I bought bottom plastic pieces for an Accustock - to lighten up the gun, so I know what you're talking about.

Bottom line for me with my .308 TH XP is that every stock I've had it in has shot sub-MOA for me. Accustock with bottom metal, Accustock with bottom plastic, and Tupperware stock with built in bottom and Axis mag. I can tell no difference in accuracy among them. They are all very good.

You can mess with that gun, but I really don't think you're going to improve it over what you have. In fact, all you'll do is make it heavier.

Since getting my TH XP, I've taken that rifle from 6.5 lbs. up to 8.5 lbs (Accustock and real bottom metal) and now back to 6.5 lbs. I see no reason to carry the extra weight when even the lightest configuration produces sub-MOA groups at 300 yards.

Basic Member
    The plastic "bottom metal" you have will work just fine in the Boyd's stock. You were fortunate to have one with removeable "bottom metal".

Team Savage
    The plastic bottom parts (BBR trigger guard and plastic bottom cap) from a Savage SA TH XP model will work with any Savage SA stock (4.40") with the CF, SA DBM inlet including a Boyd's stock. When the Savage TH was first released, the DBM frame assembly (surround) was a separate part. Several years ago, Savage started molding the DBM frame assembly into their synthetic/plastic stocks. Therefore, you will need to purchase the plastic SA DBM frame assembly if you want to use the DBM with a plastic bottom cap in a Boyd's Savage SA, CF, BBR stock.

My experience with the plastic bottom parts are they are relatively weak and tend flex and crack if you apply too much torque on the action screws. I've also had my accuracy go south only to find out the rear action screw had loosened over time due to the plastic flexing under recoil. The advantage of the plastic bottom parts are the 8-9 oz in weight savings over all metal bottom parts. The best compromise I've found is to use a metal BBR trigger guard with the plastic frame assembly and plastic bottom cap. I also bed the plastic frame assembly under the front and rear action screws for more support and less flex.
    Last edited by jpdown; 02-04-2016 at 02:10 AM.

savage11223
    Sorry to butt in but i was wondering where I could purchase the metal "bottom metal for my savage model 11 trophy hunter XP short action with axis style centerfeed dbm?

Basic Member
    Savage Arms Customer service- parts dept