Thread: Long action, large shank?

Long action, large shank?

Can anybody tell me what all models and calibers I should look for to find a long action, large shank?

Thanks,
    Michael

Basic Member
    They're pretty few and far between. They pop up on here every once in a blue moon but they're gone rather quickly.

As far as I know, RUM factory chamberings (and some of the larger WSMs) have been transitioned to large shank (don't think it's model dependent, but rather, caliber dependent). I know the .300wm and .338 Lapua variants of the 110 BA/FCP/target models are all LA/LS as well to keep tooling costs down. Otherwise, you'll be able to find some SA/LS here and there (I believe the Model 12 LRP, specifically), but that's not really helping you at all.

Not sure of your plans, but one thing to think about is that the majority calibers can be built on the small shank actions. This generally includes .338 Edge and smaller. .338 Lapuas should only be built on Lapua specific factory actions (differences in heat treatment), and anything larger than that... I'd probably be looking at going custom. There really isn't any noticeable difference in accuracy or performance between large and small shank actions all else being equal, so unless you have a specific reason for wanting the LA/LS, I might consider expanding your options.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    They're pretty few and far between. They pop up on here every once in a blue moon but they're gone rather quickly.

As far as I know, RUM factory chamberings (and some of the larger WSMs) have been transitioned to large shank (don't think it's model dependent, but rather, caliber dependent). I know the .300wm and .338 Lapua variants of the 110 BA/FCP/target models are all LA/LS as well to keep tooling costs down. Otherwise, you'll be able to find some SA/LS here and there (I believe the Model 12 LRP, specifically), but that's not really helping you at all.

Not sure of your plans, but one thing to think about is that the majority calibers can be built on the small shank actions. This generally includes .338 Edge and smaller. .338 Lapuas should only be built on Lapua specific factory actions (differences in heat treatment), and anything larger than that... I'd probably be looking at going custom. There really isn't any noticeable difference in accuracy or performance between large and small shank actions all else being equal.
    My plan is to eventually build a 338 edge . I thought I have read that they should be on a large shank, but you are saying they could be built on a small shank?

Basic Member
    Yes, X-Caliber offers small shank .338 Edge prefits here. I'm sure some of the other main barrel manufacturers do as well.

I'm not suggesting that you should do that given that the Edge is based on a .300 RUM case... and Savage has now put all of their RUM offerings into large shank actions... but it is certainly doable. I know of more than a few guys that have gone that route with fine results.

Me, personally, I'd probably be a little hesitant to build something that significant on a small shank, but it can definitely be done.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    There does just happen to be a LA/LS rifle in the classifieds currently... and it wouldn't take much to buy it, keep the action for yourself and part the rest out!

I have talked to him.
    I also found another in a neighboring state for a little less that is said to have less than 50 shots down it.
    I definitely don't need a 338 edge, but I want to build one!

Basic Member
    Well either way, you've got plenty of options when the time comes.

What's the easiest way to tell if it is large or small shank without the barrel off?

The length of the barrel nut is usually a dead giveaway. The large shank actions use a shorter barrel nut. There are side-by-side comparisons in the FAQ.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...el-Shank-Sizes
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 02-03-2016 at 08:04 PM.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I've built a few RUM and WSM based rifles on small shank actions. Many others have as well without problem.

I have heard of large shank barrel nuts splitting from the stress of a hot RUM load.

The 375 Ruger's are long action large shank it you still decide to go that way.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar