Thread: I Don't Want to Beat a Dead Horse, But I Have a Question on Barrel Swapping

hairbear21

I Don't Want to Beat a Dead Horse, But I Have a Question on Barrel Swapping

I did a search, and there is tons of information, but I couldn't find anything definite.

What I am looking to do is convert my 110 pre-accutrigger (left hand) .270 to a .243. I would rather convert it than sell it or trade it.
    Besides a barrel, wrench, clamp, and go-no go gauges, what else will I need, and what kind of problems or issues can I expect?

Thank you!

That is the usual suspects.

The most common issue is NOT removing EVERYTHING first. Countless people leave scope bases on, shear a screw into the receiver, then lock the barrel in place. Don't be those people.... I'll lend you my T-shirt from the club :)
    Next is the nut it's self. They can be Sweet-baby-jesus tight. I have had to get a dremel and cut them off.
    Otherwise, the only real *trick* is properly holding things when you tighten the lock nut(barrel nut). Lots of hillbilly engineers don't properly hold the action/barrel properly, and when they tighten the nut; inadvertantly change headspace.

You may or may not, have magazine feeding issues. That gets chocked-up to Savage crap QC. I've changed a 7mm Rem Mag to 22-250 and everything was fine. I've taken a 30-06 to 264WM and had to tweek things.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    If You search enough on this site, You will find everything there is to know about barrel removal, and instillation, both definite and otherwise, because it has all been covered many times.

I would still like "Bill PA" to do a FAQ or "stickie" on the subject. Being in the frigid, snow bound, north east, he surely has plenty of spare time on his hands? ;-))

Basic Member
    Maybe this will help. I had the same questions.

http://savageshooters.com/showthread.php?t=38091

BW

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hairbear21 View Post
    I did a search, and there is tons of information, but I couldn't find anything definite.

What I am looking to do is convert my 110 pre-accutrigger (left hand) .270 to a .243. I would rather convert it than sell it or trade it.
    Besides a barrel, wrench, clamp, and go-no go gauges, what else will I need, and what kind of problems or issues can I expect?

Thank you!
    im going to remove mine in a couple days when I get anti-seize in mail. Mines a new build and I used oil on threads not anti-seize so when I remove it I can send you a video. It's a stainless barrel nut and barrel so it's important I get the stuff on it... Plenty of videos are on YouTube so I suggest watching them before you attack yours. Action wrench makes everything easier too. I didn't need a vise to install the barrel since I I'd the action wrench and barrel nut wrench... And an extra set of hands

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    That is the usual suspects.

Next is the nut it's self. They can be Sweet-baby-jesus tight. I have had to get a dremel and cut them off.
    Otherwise, the only real *trick* is properly holding things when you tighten the lock nut(barrel nut). Lots of hillbilly engineers don't properly hold the action/barrel properly, and when they tighten the nut; inadvertantly change headspace.
    Don't have a barrel vise. My barrel nut wrench has half inch squares near each end and I have an ancient Snap On 18" breakover bar in half inch drive. Using these with an action wrench, I haven't found a barrel nut that I couldn't get moving.

Since the factory blues everything assembled, I've had a couple nuts that didn't want to come off the barrel. The threads were caked with bluing salts. Just take the recoil lug out of the way and thread it back in the action. The nut will move when the barrel touches the bolt lugs.

And yeah, guess I'm a hillbilly. Sometimes the barrel turns when you don't want it to. Double check your headspacing after the final tightening. Ideally, you won't feel the go gage when you close the bolt.
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

I've had them move too, that's why I said hillbilly As long as you know it moves, and headspace changed; you can check/correct.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

hairbear21
    Thank you for the information! I found a Model 11 .243 barrel, other than the 11 being for a short action, that doesn't affect the swap does it?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hairbear21 View Post
    Thank you for the information! I found a Model 11 .243 barrel, other than the 11 being for a short action, that doesn't affect the swap does it?
    As long as the shank is the same you should be good. I believe thread pitch is same for small shanks. You can measure diameter of shank on old barrel to guarantee you're getting the right shank.

headspacing trick for installation: cut out sticky note so it fits the back of go gauge. place it on the back of the gauge, insert gauge, close bolt, thread barrel down til it lightly stops on go gauge, lock nut, remove gauge then torque. The extra thickness of the sticky note should help for when the barrel turns slightly inside the action during torquing. Remove sticky from gauge and recheck headspace. Hope that works for you it helped during my installation.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    If'n you're worried about the barrel turning whilst you tighten the barrel nut, a couple thick (1/4" or so) swatches of leather like from an old belt, to wrap the barrel about 3-4" from the nut, lock a pair of vice grip - the kind with the roundish jaw - on the leather clad barrel, pucker up good & tight and lock them shut.

As you push on the barrel nut wrench you can push the vice grips in the opposite direction so it doesn't move.
    I've yet to mar or damage a barrel using the vice grip & leather method and since we all know barrel swapping never happens once, you'll have your "special tool" for the next swap job.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Stand the rifle up on the butt and spray some Kroil penetrating oil where the top edge of the nut meets the barrel. Let it soak down into the threads for a day or two.
    The model 11 barrel should work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Russmerle View Post
    As long as the shank is the same you should be good. I believe thread pitch is same for small shanks. You can measure diameter of shank on old barrel to guarantee you're getting the right shank.

headspacing trick for installation: cut out sticky note so it fits the back of go gauge. place it on the back of the gauge, insert gauge, close bolt, thread barrel down til it lightly stops on go gauge, lock nut, remove gauge then torque. The extra thickness of the sticky note should help for when the barrel turns slightly inside the action during torquing. Remove sticky from gauge and recheck headspace. Hope that works for you it helped during my installation.
    Good bit of information there!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    If'n you're worried about the barrel turning whilst you tighten the barrel nut, a couple thick (1/4" or so) swatches of leather like from an old belt, to wrap the barrel about 3-4" from the nut, lock a pair of vice grip - the kind with the roundish jaw - on the leather clad barrel, pucker up good & tight and lock them shut.

As you push on the barrel nut wrench you can push the vice grips in the opposite direction so it doesn't move.
    I've yet to mar or damage a barrel using the vice grip & leather method and since we all know barrel swapping never happens once, you'll have your "special tool" for the next swap job.
    Another fine pearl of wisdom!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Another fine pearl of wisdom!
    I was thinking more like:

Necessity is the mother of invention.
    And when you get a barrel all tightened in & locked down ONLY to find it moved when you were tightening it, finding the appropriate sequence of curse words can be difficult.
    Sometimes you have to make up a few new ones.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    3-4 swift raps with a dead blow will make sure she's tight enough.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post

... finding the appropriate sequence of curse words can be difficult.
    This seems to come easy to me.
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    I would still like "Bill PA" to do a FAQ or "stickie" on the subject. Being in the frigid, snow bound, north east, he surely has plenty of spare time on his hands? ;-))
    43 years after uttering those immortal words "I do" spare time is only a distant memory!
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

hairbear21
    Thank you for the awesome advice! I ordered a 243 take-off barrel with the recoil pad and nut. Once I do it, I will make a video.

I never torque my bbls very tight - maybe 40ft/lbs by feel
    never had one come loose or change headspace and all have shot very good if not better.
    Just dig in and you'll get the feel for it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 750k2 View Post
    I never torque my bbls very tight - maybe 40ft/lbs by feel
    never had one come loose or change headspace and all have shot very good if not better.
    Just dig in and you'll get the feel for it.
    That is pretty close to spec for what my instructions said. Northland Shooters Supply precision barrel nud stated 45ftlbs I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by dfrosch View Post
    This seems to come easy to me.
    I was going to say the same thing. My wife says I cuss worse than a sailor.

If there is any Axis work in your future I recommend a barrel vice. Things go a lot easier with the barrel bolted firmly to the work bench. Here is the one I have and for $70 you cant go wrong.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/226...-wood-bushings

hairbear21
    I got everything swapped, and it went great! I did do the leather trick (had and old belt), and that helped in keeping anything from moving. I did, however, cheat and use a little heat to remove the shank. It was a mother f-er, and it was cold in the garage, so I threw some heat on it (only enough to remove condensation), and it popped loose instantly!
    You all have been great, and check out the video I made with some thoughts on the 270 to 243 conversion!
    https://youtu.be/PRhM-K23qmo