Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A New SavageShooters Shoot!

Basic Member

Sorry to hear you can't make it.

I have a few friends from Louisville coming as well,but they shoot Remingtons..ughhhh. :) and all are welcome even us Amateurs!!!

For those that don't know Thunder Valley is sometimes used by Remington Corporate to test their new rifles. They even have their own really nice bench were not allowed to use.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

It is a really cool place set back in the hills.

I mentioned in another thread that I had acquired a few steel plates, which, in conjunction with Rosco's steel and the assorted steel flashers and gongs at the range itself, will make for a target-rich environment.

Basic Member
    Some of you guys might benefit by being a member at the Ridgeway PA rifle club.
    The range is open every day all day for members for casual shooting except when
    matches are taking place. Its a large facility with several ranges. The main range goes
    to 1000 yds with lots of benches under roof. I would think overnight camping for members
    would be permitted. But there are accomadations nearby also. I am about an hour away
    and I am a member there although I rarly go due to having my own facilities.
    Membership is $50 the first year and $35 a year thereafter. Steel sillouette is the big thing
    there. Shooters from around the country come to compete. They also have a rimfire sillouette range
    and hold matches for that also.

Sounds like a neat place. Rosco and I were just discussing this at our last shoot, but really all that's missing from putting on a shoot is someone willing to take the initiative to do a bit of organizing. Of course, having an "in" at a range is nice too. I'm trying to work my way into a club, which might provide another venue in the future.

Basic Member
    Well as I recall there were some people who did put forth considerable effort into organizing Savage events.
    Locations having the proper facilities aren't easy to find. The cost for renting facilities is no doubt costly not to mention availability on the chosen date. Getting people to commit financially is never as easy as getting them to say count me in.
    The simplest solution would be that each person having an interest to join a club having the desired facilities in various regions of the country.
    Then a group in that region could get together on a agreeable date. Wether it would it be worth the annual cost of a membership is an individual call.
    Lets be perfectly honest here, those of us who are really interested in this type of shooting are doing it, and doing whatever is necessary
    in order to do so. It never works that a few people want something for a group unless the group as individuals want it for themselves.

Looks like fun.....

Basic Member
    The forecast is looking good on Saturday (April2) with only about a 20% chance of rain, mostly sunny and a high of 60 degrees!!
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Sounds like great weather for me to make myself look like a fool in front of you guys lol. Seriously though, thats awesome. Hope it stays that way.
    Rosco, Im comin down Friday (obviously) are there any gun shops, reloading places I should check out while I'm down that way?
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Man I wish I was closer to this, and wasn't shooting a match already that weekend. I'd love to meet up with you guys at something like this. Dangit.

It'll be a good time, rain or shine!

Scooter, Bud's Gun Shop is probably on your way, as is Kentucky Gun Co. On my first trip down to Kentucky, I spent some time on the reactive steel pistol range at Bud's, and it was a lot of fun. KY Gun Co was also a pretty neat place with a lot of stuff: Not a great selection of what I was interested in, but the prices were reasonable.

Basic Member
    I agree with dr. Thunder those are probably the two best choices depending on your route. We also have Knob Creek Gun Range which is about 45 minutes north they have the semi annual machine gun shoot out which is pretty popular. They don't really have a great selection of guns and prices are not very reasonable. But it's still a neat place to visit.
    Last edited by Rosco; 03-24-2016 at 08:34 PM.

Ok, thanks guys! Ill try to stop by and check em out! We are gonna be slingin lead long range....we WILL have fun lol
    Scooter

Basic Member
    So what are you bringing to shoot?

Planning to bring my 280AI, 6br Ive recently put together but am not ready for long range with it...but will probably try anyway lol. And my remage 6mmx55 swede thats still a bit of a work in progress.
    How about you?
    Scooter

Basic Member
    Most of my time will be spent getting DOPE on the Savage 6.5 Creedmore, but I have a .243 Axis with about 20 rounds down the tube ,and a Weatherby .223 that only has about 50. Both need to shot some!!
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

That makes me feel better....that at least someone else besides isnt gonna start bangin 1k right off the bat lol. Just got back from shooting my 6x55, I shot the best couple of groups since Ive been messing with it, so thatll be my load for next weekend. My 6br, i just put new glass on it and sighted it in today with some ammo i just worked up, and while not as tight as I want them, my groups are very consistent so far.
    Im pretty stoked about coming down!
    Scooter
    P.S. ALL mine need shot some lol

I'll have Taxis and Maxis along for sure. I was hoping to have a new project to bring this time around, but, without its barrel, it'll be difficult to shoot.

Ahh the Maxis and Taxis...in person! Sweet!
    Ya know Chris, I cant get mine to shoot without the barrel either!
    Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    That makes me feel better....that at least someone else besides isnt gonna start bangin 1k right off the bat lol. Just got back from shooting my 6x55, I shot the best couple of groups since Ive been messing with it, so thatll be my load for next weekend. My 6br, i just put new glass on it and sighted it in today with some ammo i just worked up, and while not as tight as I want them, my groups are very consistent so far.
    Im pretty stoked about coming down!
    Scooter
    P.S. ALL mine need shot some lol
    Post those loads up on the 6x55 thread for others (myself included) to try out Scooter!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

This weekend is coming up fast. I've got to get loading!

Ive been loading up stuff the last couple days, hopefully finishing up tomorrow. Im gettin stoked!
    Scooter

Basic Member
    Both days are looking at being really nice with 0% chance of precipitation and mostly sunny with a high of around 60. All of us better learn to call wind on Saturday though supposedly the winds will be about 20 miles an hour from the West on Sunday it will calm down a little bit and probably only be around 5 or 6.

Basic Member
    20mph isn't to bad. It's the 30+ that really gets rough.

Basic Member
    If the wind was coming in directly from the West at 9 o'clock at 20 miles an hour according to my ballistics app it's pushing my bullet just a little bit over 12 feet to the right at 1000 yards.

Basic Member
    About 4 Mils for me. I stopped thinking in inches/feet a long time ago with concerns to shooting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast