Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A New SavageShooters Shoot!

A New SavageShooters Shoot!

Attention SavageShooters! Our friend and fellow forum member, Rosco, has used his connections at the fantastic Rockcastle Shooting Center in picturesque Park City, Kentucky, to reserve some range time this spring for a SavageShooters Shoot! Rosco has enlisted my help in gauging interest from the rest of the population. (For more about my adventure at Rock Castle, click here).

The plans are tentative so far, but the dates will be April 2-3, 2016. The shooting will mainly be informal shooting on steel at ranges out to 1000 yards. There may be some fun competitions as well depending on what we can come up with. The location will be Rockcastle’s long range, which is quite rustic in its amenities with no shelter or modern restrooms, and there is only one bench. People needing any of those will need to bring their own. Except the bathroom, I mean. There is typically a porta-potty and many, many backs of trees.

Accommodations include the on site hotel at Park Mammoth Resort and several local establishments. Camping may also be available at nearby locations for those wishing to bring their room with them. Food plans are also tentative. A cookout lunch might be in the cards, but brown bagging it is the backup plan. The nearest restaurants are a few miles away.

Range fees for shooters who aren’t members of Rockcastle Shooting Center will be $40 per day. Depending on the number of shooters and how much steel we’ll need to rustle up, we may need to recruit some gongs as well.

But this thread is primarily to gauge interest and get a feel for how many shooters we’re likely to field on the days in question. We’ll ask for confirmed attendees soon. I’ll be making the trip down from Michigan, so I know it’s a hike, but it’ll be a good chance to meet some like-minded Savage fans and stretch your rifles’ legs after a long winter.

Any interest?
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 02-02-2016 at 12:43 PM.

Basic Member
    Doc...great write up as usual. Just to add we should be able to shoot out to 1200 yards, if we can find the steel!! :)

If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask, and if the inbox is full I can also be reached at harrisc70@yahoo.com.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Definitely interested...getting some of us together would make for a good time! Ill be keeping tabs on this to see how things play out.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

I'd love to do something like this, but 8 hrs is a HIKE! It would depend on my work schedule I guess...

Aaaaand I just scrolled back up and saw the dates. That's the date of The Guardian match in NC. I'm already paid and registered for that, so I guess that scratches it for me anyway. Dangit. I'd really love to meet some of you screwballs in person.
    Last edited by upSLIDEdown; 02-04-2016 at 02:23 AM.

Basic Member
    The weekend is definitely a go for those interested barring any crazy weather.

Basic Member
    I'm interested in this. also an excuse to check rockcastle out.

Basic Member
    Very interested in this, but location and timing not in favor of me making it.

Not a lot of options for shooting at places like Rock Castle here in WI that I am aware of so traveling might be in the plans for future. Sick of being confined to 100 yards off a bench as that's not a very realistic hunting simulation for me.

Basic Member
    If something comes up and you find you are able to make it you're more than welcome to attend.

Basic Member
    I think it would be a pretty incredible learning experience for sure.

I hope to get to Winnequah for one or more of their monthly silhouette matches. I believe they only shoot offhand though, so again not ideal for what I am most wanting to improve - my hunting situation ranging and shooting.

Basic Member
    When I get out to the East Coast this summer I would consider this. I'll be in NC, but if I decide to drive back to Ohio for a visit I could always stop here along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    I'd love to do something like this, but 8 hrs is a HIKE! It would depend on my work schedule I guess...

Aaaaand I just scrolled back up and saw the dates. That's the date of The Guardian match in NC. I'm already paid and registered for that, so I guess that scratches it for me anyway. Dangit. I'd really love to meet some of you screwballs in person.
    I look forward to shooting in the GE matches as well since I'll be within 2hrs of these events!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I look forward to shooting in the GE matches as well since I'll be within 2hrs of these events!
    Look forward to meeting you man!

Basic Member
    Rockcastle has their PRS event on April 15th so you can use that as an excuse to practice

I hear you about the long drive. It's no picnic coming from Michigan either, especially having to traverse that state of perpetual highway construction: Ohio. With my route, I'll be there in about nine hours, but I do try to make a road trip out of it. Last time I stopped by Bud's Gun Shop to try their reactive steel pistol range. This time, who knows?

Wow Chris! Didnt realize your drive was that far....ugh! Lookin like a touch over 4hrs for me.
    Upslide...I'll meet yout at the WV/VA border and Ill kindly take your 338 Edge out there if ya think its needs it 😉(at least I think youve built one if my mind serves me correctly ).
    Ill only get to shoot on Saturday but I think itll be a good time.
    Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    Wow Chris! Didnt realize your drive was that far....ugh! Lookin like a touch over 4hrs for me.
    Upslide...I'll meet yout at the WV/VA border and Ill kindly take your 338 Edge out there if ya think its needs it (at least I think youve built one if my mind serves me correctly ).
    Scooter
    Hah! Good memory. I still haven't found a load it likes, or I'm just not shooting it well, one. lol

SLIDER-in-KY
    Following this thread. I'm only 45 minutes from Rockcastle! Might have to head that way!! Then again, I'm new to the long-range stuff. Although I do have twins....Savage FCP-K in .308 and FCP-K in .223!!!

Don't worry, we'll have some closer targets too!

I think, irrespective of who from this forum shows up, there's going to be a helpful bunch at this shoot. SavageShooters has a good group of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    Upslide...I'll meet yout at the WV/VA border and Ill kindly take your 338 Edge out there if ya think its needs it ��(at least I think youve built one if my mind serves me correctly ).
    Scooter
    It doesn't feel that far once you get out of Ohio, but that almost goes without saying. It'd only be seven and a half hours if I didn't want to stop here and there.
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 02-14-2016 at 03:57 PM.

Basic Member
    Would people be open to posting where they would be coming from?

Potential to meet up and split drive time and gas costs might help me make it work.

Basic Member
    I will be coming from Louisville which probably doesn't help much but thought I would put it out their anyway.

I'll be coming from Metro Detroit, but we'll probably need a bigger vehicle if we're going to carpool!

Basic Member
    I would be coming from Madison, WI.

Either via Chicago -> Indy -> Louisville

or

Rockford -> Bloomington/Normal -> Champaign

Folks from WI, MN, IA and maybe MO and KS would all make sense to connect with.

Basic Member
    Is the head count Dr. Thunder, Scooter, Hair Boxer and myself?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    I am probably actually out. I should have a lease signed for my new business location and can't swing being gone when my prime season is approaching fast.

Basic Member
    Interested, but a10 hr drive one way with a 6 year old aint happening. April 9th/10th would be a different story.
    Some people want to make a difference in the world. I'm just here to howl at the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    Im in unless unforseen comes up. Planning to book my room this week Provided you're ok with dealing with an amateur.
    Scooter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast