Thread: Question about ER Shaw barrel

Basic Member

Question about ER Shaw barrel

I just picked up a 110 long action in 30/06 I am wanting to rebarrel into a 358 winchester. I have been looking at ER Shaw's kits on midway but I am concerned about barrel conture. I am wanting to get a new stock but not sure if I am gonna need a stock for bull barrel or if standard barrel channel with be ok. Anyone out there that knows? Also, I have been considering making it a detachable box mag since it's currently a blind mag. Is all I have to do is buy a LA D/B mag stock and get the D/B mag kit such as CDI's. Thanks for the help.

Basic Member
    You have the right idea... But I would recommend Apache GUn WOrks for the barrel. He will make a better shooter and can contour it however you like. Might not cost much more.

As for the dbm, if it's going to be a sporting rifle, I would recommend you go with a factory dbm set. Less expensive and flush with the stock. Just better for hunting.

http://apachegunworks.com/reamers.html

Also, if you just go sporter / factory contour stock, you can always ope it up yourself to whatever you want to match the barrel. I think all Shaw barrels are same contour as factory sporter, though. And APache can do the same if you want.

Basic Member
    Thanks foxx, yeah this will be mostly a hunting gun. This is my first barrel swap and I didn't want to go too crazy. I am gonna get an aftermarket stock such as Boyd's ( been looking at the platinum walnut). To get a factory dbm set who would I go through. This is a stagger feed with bolt release on top.

Basic Member
    Oops. Sorry. Factory Stagger feed dbm is pretty much impossible to do. The bottom metal for that just isnt available from anyone. I just happen to have a couple projects i have been working on for a couple of years now and cant finish because of it. If you want dbm you would be better off to sell what you have and buy newer center feed model.

Basic Member
    Thanks.

Basic Member
    The Shaw 358 barrel in the Midway kit is heavier than a sporter barrel and lighter than a bull/varmint barrel.

I'm lost on your actual question.
    If you are concerned with a barrel fitting a stock, don't.
    You are talking about changing barrels for crying out loud. If that proposition isn't daunting to you, then buying $0.20 worth of sandpaper to make sure it does fit should be the least of your problems.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by klr View Post
    The Shaw 358 barrel in the Midway kit is heavier than a sporter barrel and lighter than a bull/varmint barrel.
    Anything over 30 bore Shaw will only chamber a barrel in a 2-1/2 contour or heavier.
    http://www.ershawbarrels.com/scb-con...nd-weights.php

This one is similar to your intended build.

A Shaw 338 Fed, 22" 2-1/2 SS, Boyd's JR, 3-9x40 Buckmaster and now with Burris bases. As you see it plus a web sling and three rounds of ammo it tips the scale at 9-4.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    I measured my 358 Win Shaw barrel:
    Muzzle - 0.720"
    12" back from the muzzle - 0.865"

schwackerfox67
    Hi'

Just replaced my barrel on my model 116 30-06 with a 35 whelen shaw barrel kit from midway usa. The barrel is a lot heaver than the standard. Had my gunsmith flute the barrel to remove some weight.
    Shoots sub moa with 200 gr. barnes tsxfb bullets at 100 yards using reloader 15 with 56 1/2 grns.
    Cant believe the accuracy for a cheap barrel.

Harts in nescopet[sp] pa. is world famous for their guns. They wanted over 900$ to put their own barrel @ i would not of been able to swap back to my 30-06 barrel.

Cant believe the recoil from a 30-06 case necked up 35 caliber. Great bear gun now.

Basic Member
    Cool.

Pics?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bam_bam View Post
    I just picked up a 110 long action in 30/06 I am wanting to rebarrel into a 358 winchester. I have been looking at ER Shaw's kits on midway but I am concerned about barrel conture. I am wanting to get a new stock but not sure if I am gonna need a stock for bull barrel or if standard barrel channel with be ok. Anyone out there that knows? Also, I have been considering making it a detachable box mag since it's currently a blind mag. Is all I have to do is buy a LA D/B mag stock and get the D/B mag kit such as CDI's. Thanks for the help.
    You might want to get the 35 Whelen instead of a 358 Winchester if you have a long action receiver. The 358 Winchester is a short action round,just a 308 case necked up to 358.

Basic Member
    If you had a stagger feed would it be possible to run the cdi detachable magazine system then.