Thread: Need Better Bipod

Basic Member

Need Better Bipod

I need a solid bipod for my 110 build. I need something that is positively locking, won't fold up in use, and may possibly swivel? My champion swivel bipod keeps loosening at the sling stud mount and it feels to flimsy under my 14.5 lb 110 action build.

Is there something similar to the Atlas bipods that doesn't cost $250-$300?

Thx
    Russ

Well UTG has non folding legs. Or just use an adapter, and properly "load" the legs of what you have.
    Last edited by darkker; 01-31-2016 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Spelling, it's always spelling...
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Well UTG has non folding legs. It just use an adapter, and properly "load" the legs of what you have.
    Properly loading the bipod isn't the issue. Its the wobbly mount. Even using an adapter the champion bipod uses the screw and hooks to connect to an adapter or sling swivel stud. Between that and adjusting position in prone, the legs get on my nerves. Loaded when shooting isn't an issue its the setup and position shifting that is getting on my nerves.

Basic Member
    I have 2 of the UTG Recon 360 bipods, and previously had an Atlas. Found the UTG to work very similarly to the Atlas, but when you load the UTG, you loose a good portion of your cant adjustment(bottoms out rubber bumper). I found I had to keep the legs fairly neutral(maybe not the best for shooting big stuff). Liked it well enough, I sold the Atlas so I could get a second bipod and some other toys.

Hey Russ, check out Tip Top bipods. They have many different options, pivot, pan and stud or picatinny rail mount. I have two, they work great and are reasonably priced.

Harris?!

Basic Member
    +1 for Harris.

They are perfectly fine for the majority of shooting applications.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    Soo, I have decided that the best option for me would be the GG&G XDS Heavy Duty 8-10.5"... However, Ima gonna make one out of my scrap steel, welder and grinders I'll post a pick when I get her done. The wife is super happy about this decision lol

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    +1 for Harris.

They are perfectly fine for the majority of shooting applications.

Don't take my word for it:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/01/05/bipod/

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I trust Harris is top quality and that every body swears by them. I just want a heavier positive locking bipod. The Harris is light and utilizes springs. Atlas is par for my course but the GG&G is more along the lines of what I'm looking for. The price is just high...

Basic Member
    Any experience with these?

Quote Originally Posted by Russmerle View Post
    I trust Harris is top quality and that every body swears by them. I just want a heavier positive locking bipod. The Harris is light and utilizes springs. Atlas is par for my course but the GG&G is more along the lines of what I'm looking for...
    Have you shot with a Harris? A real one, not a knock-off?

Mine is steel, and it doesn't seem light or flimsy to me. With the mounting nut cranked down 1/4 or 1/2 turn past hand-tight, mine doesn't wobble at all. The springs are only there to hold the legs in the "up" position.

Quote Originally Posted by Russmerle View Post
    Soo, I have decided that the best option for me would be the GG&G XDS Heavy Duty 8-10.5"... However, Ima gonna make one out of my scrap steel, welder and grinders I'll post a pick when I get her done. The wife is super happy about this decision lol
    To each his own...

Two thoughts:

1. Having to turn knobs to tighten the leg extensions is bull****. The Harris "notched" leg extension system is waaaay better, IMHO. If you're making your own, you should go that route.

2. I can't wait to hear what your effective "hourly rate" is once you're done with this: The price of a GG&G divided by how many hours it takes you to replicate one!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    2. I can't wait to hear what your effective "hourly rate" is once you're done with this: The price of a GG&G divided by how many hours it takes you to replicate one!
    Its all for fun I'm not worried about that. I have a champion and Harris. The shorter spring bipods are better but not locking in the down position is my turnoff. Getting into position on the 300wm and firing, resetting, firing, etc, I really want the locking legs. for now my champion works fine. Besides the packaging, the champion 6" looks, feels and acts just like the Harris. The longer champion I have seems a little less robust... Harris is on my SIG SSG and she'll prolly stay there.

Basic Member
    Just remembered this one.
    http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...prod35272.aspx

Thought about getting this for swivel stud mounting.

Team Savage
    i have a harris , im shooting from a sitting position,,,, its seems fine to me , i havent shot anything else, it does pivot ,,,,,, if i were to buy another bi pod for shooting from a seated position i would look at Blackhawk,,,they pivot and swivel
    b

Russ, don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure you mounted the Harris correctly? The legs should fold forward, toward the muzzle, not back toward the trigger. It shouldn't fold up in use if it's installed correctly and used within reason.

Basic Member
    I run Harris (have 6 of them) and never have a problem with a solid mount while shooting. That's running 223 up to 338 lapua. I do however like the creativity of making your own. I say push forward and make what you have in mind. You can always dish out the money later if it doesn't work out.

Keep in mind if the legs are adjustable to desing it so you can adjust with one hand, without having to lift the rifle if you want to fine tune it. Also don't use a chinsey set screw design like Harris and others have without the notched legs. It will collapse under heavy guns

I say push forward and keep us updated

For 40 bucks this one isn't bad,just started using one on a new AR build. http://www.ebay.com/itm/311175746066
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    Harris, I know more than a couple that prefer them over the atlas. I have both and while I like being able to reverse the legs on the atlas I don't shoot any better with it shooting prone.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    For 40 bucks this one isn't bad,just started using one on a new AR build. http://www.ebay.com/itm/311175746066
    That actually looks pretty straight forward and solid. I may give it a look thanks for the post.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    Russ, don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure you mounted the Harris correctly? The legs should fold forward, toward the muzzle, not back toward the trigger. It shouldn't fold up in use if it's installed correctly and used within reason.
    I just ran across an ad for a rifle and the guy had it on backwards so I understand how you would think that's possible. My rifle is pushing 16 lbs now and may be getting heavier. The wiggle of me settling in behind the rifle is causing the problems. I shoot from prone only and between loading bipod, recoil, trying to get comfortable, stuff coming loose (I locktited everything after starting this thread), i am just leaning towards a positively locking bipod; when the legs swing down they lock into place. A UTG type or like the one posted by 243LPR. simple and rugged, that's what I'm looking for.

I've got an old SKS bipod I'm going to fab up for fun. Hopefully I can post some interesting pics for you guys to look at. I am guessing it will be the ugly duckling of bipods when I'm done lol