Thread: Scope base and rings... yes or no?

Scope base and rings... yes or no?

I just picked up a Model 11 trophy hunter in .308. I'm considering upgrading the bases to a single unit and even putting some money into better rings. I've heard that the single piece base reinforces the receiver a bit. Truth? Or does it even matter?

Does anyone have problems with the included two piece bases or rings. They quality seems okay, but I haven't had a chance to sight it in yet.

I really don't want to waste time sighting in if I'll end up swapping out soon. I guess I'm just looking for input on if the included bases and rings are good enough to use long term with the included Nikon.

Thoughts?

Inebriated
    Can't tell you if a single-piece will increase rigidity, but I can tell you that the forward edge of the slots in my factory bases on the .30-06 rounded over after about 2-3 years of recoil. It probably only has 300 rounds through it, which isn't much at all, so I say it's worth upgrading to better bases. I upgraded to Leupold Dual Dovetails.

ottawacats
    I picked up a Model 11 in .243 the other day, I also picked up weaver one piece base # 99495 for it. This way when I mount my Vortex viper on it I can assure myself that it will fit, I had difficulty mounting it on a Axis with the two piece base. I guess it depends on the scope and rings you wish to upgrade to if the one piece is necessary or not.

jfksc
    My rifle started out as a 110 package gun. The provided bases are decent but the rings are not. Had good luck using the factory bases and Burris signature z rings. What bugged me was that the weaver style bases hang over the receiver. Eventually switched the two piece base/rings to talley lightweights and wish I did it sooner. Less to come loose and a very simple, clean look. Best setup in my opinion as I don't like one piece rails, but there is nothing wrong with them and plenty of guys swear by them. optic mounts won't improve the strength of a receiver and the receivers are plenty strong, so I'd just go with whatever you like. Long winded response but my advice would be to swap out at least the rings.

Great feedback. Sounds like better quality bases and rings are a good idea. I don't like the idea of base that hangs off the reciever, but I do like the idea of being able to better adjust eye relief. Going to have to shop around a bit!

I just got back from picking up more ammo. I hope to have something that she likes. So far I have 20rds each of:

Winchester 150gr Power-Point
    Remington 150gr Core-LOKT PSP
    Hornady 150gr Whitetail Interlock (I used the .223 of this last season. Was impressed w/ the groupings. Worked well on a doe, then again with the shot (forehead) I put on her I think anything would have worked)
    Fusion 150gr
    Federal Premium 168gr Gold Match
    Hornady 168gr Match

I don't want to waste ammo sighting in to only swap out base/rings later. I was planning on shooting this weekend but I think I'll research some more to figure out exactly what I want then site in.

I know it varies between rifles and between different cartridges, but I'm interested in seeing how much variance i get between POI on these rounds. I'm planning to keep a log so I will provide feedback on here.

Basic Member
    My 300WinMag Hunter XP's original hardware went south after 40 rounds... The two piece base started rounding at the notches as the rings and base looked as if they were slightly buckling at the recoil. I don't fault savage but for my build I really wanted steel for all components. Added weight and rigidity of the parts themselves is a plus. I imagine a steel one piece base certainly adds to the rigidity; bridging the gap over the ejector port...

doodedge
    I would recomend a red loc-tite upgrade and call it good. I have a 223 and a 308 with some <10$ amazon rings/bases set ups. Proper clean on the hard ware with rubbing alcohol, some torque with loc-tite red and a 24hr set and I haven't had any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by doodedge View Post
    I would recomend a red loc-tite upgrade and call it good. I have a 223 and a 308 with some <10$ amazon rings/bases set ups. Proper clean on the hard ware with rubbing alcohol, some torque with loc-tite red and a 24hr set and I haven't had any issues.
    I think you are the first person I can recall to ever recommend red LocTite for use on any scope mount $10 or $200. If you don't mind I am going to suggest for the OP to do his homework. Quality bases and rings are always a good idea if you want to realize the accuracy and consistency of your rifle. I like Warne. Some like Burris. Talley is a great option. QD rings from a quality manufacturer is always good. For someone who does not mess with their stuff often I would recommend Talley in steel. Bed them if you must. Use blue or purple LocTite if you must.

Loctite
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

MGMorden
    I don't think a one piece mount is going to increase rigidity any.

On my .30-06 110 I personally upgraded to Weaver Grand Slam Bases and Warne vertical split rings (both steel). Weighs a few ounces more than the package stuff that came on the rifle but worth it IMHO.
    On my long action I had trouble with the rings being too far apart to mount the scope so for the front base I ended up going with an extension base. It hangs over the action opening a tad to extend out but a nice solid steel base won't flex any there. On a short action I doubt it would even be an issue.

If you're concerned about weight I'd look into the Talley lightweights. Less points of failure there since you're effectively just screwing the rings onto the receiver.