Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hornady's new releases and new tips

Basic Member

Hornady's new releases and new tips

Well there had been a lot of talk on the new releases from Hornady over the past week as they keep it hush hush over the past week after releasing the news of an announcement. Well here it is www.hornady.com/new-products

This doesn't just effect the hunting line of bullets but the match bullets as well. Not just Hornady's tipped bullets were showing issues in flight but any company out there who uses polymer tips will show the same. Now with the new heat resistant tips you get a higher BC and more consistent. As an example The 6.5mm 140 AMAX with a BC of .585 had a tested 800 average at .545. The new 140 ELD bullet has a doppler tested 800 yard average at .610. This is huge.

As for price, the street price per box shouldn't go up more than $1-2 per box. It will still be well below other makers. There is added cost as the new tips do cost more than the old ones but they also give better performance and the cost will still be well below other bullet makers as Hornady has always tried to give the shooter the best value for their money.

The 140 AMAX will be discontinued but will be replaced with the 140 ELD and they will also be loading the 140 ELD in the Creedmoor ammo which is great. These new upgrades are a new for 2016 product line so they should be out in the first part of 2016 is not sooner.

Any questions let me know and I will help with what I can and try to get answers if I don't know. I don't work for Hornady but I do shoot for them.
    Last edited by Rob01; 10-27-2015 at 11:07 AM.

Basic Member
    getting server error from link.

Basic Member
    They might be updating as it doesn't seem to be going through for me now either. I will check back in a little while.

LongRange
    thats awesome...ill give them a try when they come out...i like the price but have never been able to get them to shoot well.

They were showing some discrepancies in BC numbers depending on which page you were looking at I think they are probably updating things. That being said the new 143 in 6.5 has my attention.

Basic Member
    The 143 is being worked on now and it should say tbd in the BC. There will be a hard tested BC out before they are introduced and I am sure you will like it.

Basic Member
    It'll be interesting to see If Bryan Litz tests the BCs soon, and what he comes up with. I'm eye balling the 200 & 212gr 30 cal bullets.

Basic Member
    I would be surprised if he gets much different results with the way Hornady is testing these bullets using doppler. They are using 800 yard averages for their BCs numbers.

Basic Member
    Ya, your right. And looks like they tested Bergers and others using their method. The bergers look like they were as advertised and the noslers way exaggerated

Basic Member
    im very interested in the 143 ELD-X

I knew I wasn't crazy. I never could get any a-max pills to shoot consistently.
    I guess Im gonna give there new version a try as well.
    Last edited by eddiesindian; 10-27-2015 at 11:37 PM.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

LongRange
    i couldnt get the link to work earlier but its working now and must say i to am very interested in the 143s...the only problem i see is unless hornady floods the market with these bullets they are going to be hard to get for awhile...a bullet that shot as well as the bergers and sierras at almost half the price?? im in!!

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    So a 6mm variant will be coming out as well? The 105AMAXs have been treating me quite well.

Im curious if Sierra knew about the polymer tip issues before they developed there tipped version. Not a scientist, but it looks different from hornady,s.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

They sure make the new tips sound good, though I would expect nothing else from a promotional video. Given the already reasonable prices of Amaxes and seemingly fair increase for the new material, I'll definitely give them a shot.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    So a 6mm variant will be coming out as well? The 105AMAXs have been treating me quite well.
    I will check as I like the 105s in my .243 as well. I went to the 105 BTHP for a little more BC but if they get an ELD 105 out I would definitely go with it.

Basic Member
    Well LoneWolf some bad news for you. There isn't a plan to make the 105 AMAX into one of the ELD bullets. Some bullets would not get enough BC jump due to their use and type to get any significant advantage in using the ELD tip/design.

Basic Member
    So my 6mm tips aren't melting on their way down range huh? Sounds like marketing hype.....

Basic Member
    No not hype but the 105 Amax does not have a high enough coefficient to be significantly affected by the aerodynamic heating. They are doing the same thing but the amount of the effect on the BC isn't as drastic as the others.

If the AMAX work in your rifle then keep running them as this discovery isn't going to make them all of a sudden shoot worse. I still plan on shooting my AMAX bullets I have on hand.

Basic Member
    I know I have 1k on hand right now. All data has put me consistently on target without issue.

I would have really liked to see them step up the weight to 168gr on their 7mm offerings too. Litz has already said that the 162 Amax has one of the lowest drag coefficients of any bullet he has tested and if it had the extra 6 grains of weight would be one of the highest BC 7mm bullets available. Makes you wonder why they didn't just go ahead and maximize the potential with a complete new bullet design. Bullets look good though thats for sure.

So I wonder if they'll trade out the new design for old A max bullets since the video basically admits it's a faulty product that doesn't perform as advertised?
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    So I wonder if they'll trade out the new design for old A max bullets since the video basically admits it's a faulty product that doesn't perform as advertised?
    I highly doubt it. The product isn't faulty but at longer ranges, 800 yard average, it was found the BC degraded faster than they thought. The BC listed in the 200 yard held true. AMAX bullets still very accurate and work at long range.

As I have said on other sites, there is nothing wrong with the AMAX and a lot of people love them, including myself, and I have a bunch of them that I will continue to shoot. My factory Creedmoor ammo is very accurate in my rifle and I have been shooting it since 2008 and happy with its performance. I have won matches with it so I won't be complaining about the 140 AMAX but if they can make it better I am all for that too and will take advantage in the future of the new bullets and ammo.

300 yard groups from two different lots of factory Creedmoor ammo

Same lots at 400

Basic Member
    If anybody gets there hands on some could they check consistency from lot to lot. I'd be interested to see the results. Last 140 amax I used were among the batches that base to ogive length was out of spec. (.030 difference) between lots. They shot really well and then went to crap. I didn't want to redo my load testing for each lot. Switched to sierras since then and have been very happy. But would give Hornady another shot if they corrected this....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast