Thread: Weaver 6-30x56

Team Savage

Weaver 6-30x56

I know weaver doesnt have a good following and in the past their quality slipped a bit. I received my new weaver tactical yesterday. I owned the 5-20x50 and sold it for two reasons. 1. wanted more zoom 2. cross hairs were solid in center covering up small targets at distance. Well I got the new one in and let me tell you from what I am seeing they have really stepped it up. Although my other one held zero and tracked perfectly the elevation knob was slightly mushy compared to the vortex line. The new one is nice in that department and I completely love the zero stop feature. No shims to jack with. I does have an open center so nearly every problem is solved with the new one. It is a tank of a scope. Had to re order rings because I had wrong height so will be a few days before I can test it but I bet it does well. My old one I sold is being shot in a prs match this sunday and the new owner said he was surprised at the quality. If they offered an ebr reticle, this would be my go to scope. For now anyway its going on my 338 where it will be slow methodical wind calls and dont need the ebr reticle for fast reactions on this rifle. I am sure they would sell a ton of them if they offered that however. If you want a quality scope in enhanced mil dot.... I think this scope is worth the money and the look.

Basic Member
    I own 5 Weaver scopes one Super Slam and four Classic Extremes. While the Japanese Weaver's don't compare to the old El Paso,TX Weavers,they aren't too far off on build quality. I run Sightron SIII's on all my long range rifles currently,but hope a Kahles K624i will be had shortly.

I've bought four Super Slams in 3-15 x50 in the past few years, one EBX reticle, two illuminated dot crosshairs, and one plain duplex reticle. I gave two as gifts, but I mounted and sighted them in. I still have the EBX and one of the illuminated dot models. I also originally bought a Nitrex TR-Two (sadly discontinued) in a 4-20 target dot w/fine crosshairs. This was a supposed entry-level model that was offered before the Kaspa series came along. For all intents and purposes, it's indistinguishable from a Super Slam, except for the markings. Made in Japan like the others as well, and was offered at about $100 or so cheaper than the Super Slams- probably why they discontinued it and moved to the more cheaply made Kaspas as their entry-level scopes.

I've had zero issues with any of these. I love them all. They offer good glass, side focus, 5-X magnification range (3-15 is IMHO an unbeatable hunting setup), pop-up turrets that are very easily resettable to zero (another huge plus) and lock securely when popped back down. Clicks are positive and repeatable, markings are very clear. EBX reticle is easy to use. Illuminated dot really shines- pun intended- at dusk when trying to put a hit on a big coal black hog that makes normal crosshairs disappear. Illumination is selectable as red or green and has varying intensity settings, from Off, to barely noticeable, to welding arc bright. The dot is very small and doesn't obstruct the target, even when shooting paper. Glass is clear and bright, eye box is good especially from 10x down. Build quality is good, and warranty is lifetime. Price is excellent at $350-$375 if you catch them on sale- which is pretty much all the time at Natchez Shooters Supply online. Only minor complaint, is that they're on the heavy side for their size. But actual size is relatively compact. Also limited adjustment range. But for a hunting scope at normal distances, no issue there for me either. I've used the 4-20 on a 20 moa rail on my .308 to shoot targets at 600 yards with no problems at all.

It's obvious I guess that I'm a big fan of these scopes, especially for hunting. I own a couple Leupold VX-1's (never again), various Bushnells, several Burris Fullfield 2's which used to be my favorite hunting scopes, Millet TRS-1, Weaver T-36, and Nightforce NXS and Competition models. The Weavers are second only to the Nightforces at the range,, and for my hunting style honestly they're superior to them. Smaller size, more useful reticle, easier to manage adjustments, glass is just as good to my eyes, and cost is about 1/4 to 1/5. What's not to like?
    Granted if I were sniping deer at 1000 yds, the Nightforce would get the nod, but that's just not reality where I hunt. 100-250 yards, on a usually nervous target, in low light conditions, is most common down here. For that the Weavers get the nod.