Thread: Insane Accuracy .223 Mod 12

Team Savage

Insane Accuracy .223 Mod 12

Here is a Mod 12 FV, .223 I pieced together. It loves the 75 Horn BTHP, 7.5 RP Primers and 25.5 RL 15. Insane for a stock action and barrel.

[img width=600 height=224]http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y350/swspens/IMG_0555.jpg[/img]

[img width=487 height=450]http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y350/swspens/P6260885.jpg[/img]
    MSG, US Army (R)/NRA F Class Match Director/NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    "The Nut behind the Butt is Responsible for the flight of the Bullet!"

possum1

Re: Insane Accuracy .223 Mod 12

what stock ?

ellobo

That target is proof all you lefties are allied with the devil. No wonder the ancients called you "bar sinister"

El Lobo

Team Savage

Possum1 - It's a Choate Tactical Stock. 4.4 inch bolt pattern. Bolted right in. Changed out the parts in the mag to work with .223 and I'm up and running......

The action and barrel were a deal I picked up from a guy who was not happy with the finish on the barrel. There appears to be a few ripples in the exterior contour of the barrel. Who cares!!!!!

El Lobo - Left Handed???????? I'm right handed! However, I've encluded a pic from a family member (left handed) who used it for her first 500 yard shot. She dailed in on the 12 in plate then went after the 7 inch round one.....

[img width=419 height=450]http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y350/swspens/Michelleand7inplate.jpg[/img]

Uncle Jack

The Bar Sinister is heraldic mark of the bassterd, not lefties. We lefties are more often designated by the mark of genius.

uj

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack
    The Bar Sinister is heraldic mark of the bassterd, not lefties. We lefties are more often designated by the mark of genius.

uj
    In heraldic terms, it should be bend sinister, but if you like you can ask for an official interpretation from here..
    http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/index.php
    or here
    http://www.sca.org
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

kweeks10045

Very nice shooting! I would say phenominal actually. I'm sure 2-3 guys will bug you to sell it.

Uncle Jack

".....In heraldic terms, it should be bend sinister"

Bend, Barre, Bar.....they all mean the same thing, a diagonal slash from right to left downward through the coat of arms. It changes depending if you're speaking French or English.

Now, back to the question at hand. What trigger do you have in that rifle? Have you started playing with seating depth yet. Have you tried any other bullets yet?

Please keep us informed.

uj

Team Savage

Uncle Jack - The triggger, action and barrel are all stock Savage parts. Nothing was done too them. The trigger has never been adjusted, nor had the previous owner adjusted it. Hell, he only shot 100 rounds through it (gave me the brass with the deal - I think he had other issues - anyway).

Seating depths - 2.355 was where I stopped based on grouping.

Bullets - tried several different ones, but stuck with Hornady 75 BTHP (Self Moly'd). These have actually printed a 2 inch group at 550 yards. I use this rifle for Mid Range F Class.

Brass - RP with vel average at 2950

Powder - RL 15 (25.5 - please work up to it.......)

Primers - RP 7.5's.

Below are two pics I shot at 500 meters (550 yards) to confirm my load. After these, I never looked back.

[img width=337 height=450]http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y350/swspens/005.jpg[/img]

[img width=337 height=450]http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y350/swspens/008.jpg[/img]

Team Savage

kweeks10045 - Thanks! I'm not sure if I'd be able to part with this one....... However, there is a price tag on everything in life.

Seaweed

What is the twist rate in your barrel?

gotcha

KS, Nice shooting! awesome rifle. looks good too! Where do you shoot F-class so I'll be sure to avoid that range :D

Don - LongRangeSupply

My factory heavy barreled 223, carbon steel barrel, cut to 21 3/4" in a glass bedded old style tupperwear stock, shoots just like that.

Unfortunately after about 50 rounds it goes south and has to be cleaned even with coated bullets.

Team Savage

Seaweed - it's a stock Savage Barrel for a Mod 12. 1-9 Twist, 26 inches

Gotcha - Thank you.... San Antonio, TX area. Come on out and play! I'm a novice compared to the folks I shoot with......

ctrout

Quote Originally Posted by Too many Savages, is that possible?
    My factory heavy barreled 223, carbon steel barrel, cut to 21 3/4" in a glass bedded old style tupperwear stock, shoots just like that.

Unfortunately after about 50 rounds it goes south and has to be cleaned even with coated bullets.
    How did they measure that 21 3/4" on that barrel? Is it measured from the bolt face or just from the breech to the muzzle? Please be very specific.

max

Awsome shooting. Just out of curiousty, did you prep your brass and neck size or full length size? How was your bullet runout?

Team Savage

Hey Max -
    Brass was full length sized, primer pockets uniformed and necks turned. No other prep on brass or bullets. As far as run-out...... I simply moly'd them and loaded them.

FieldRatSniper

yes they do like the 75gr bthp. did you try the Amax? they run about 75-100 fps slower, but are deadly on small critters. honestly though, they dont punch paper as good at 100 yards. they shine farther out.....

my pet load is 24.5gr of H4895 (on the hot side) with a BR4 primer with both the 75 bthp and the amax. The amax runs right at 3000fps, and the BTHP runs 3075.

I neck size my brass until the brass gets tight when chambering, then i use a body die on them. I uniform the primer pockets but dont turn the neck.

and that's a sweet looking rig youve got there!

Team Savage

I tried the A Max but they didn't group well enough on paper at 500 meters, besides.... the BTHP's are less expensive. I've been thinking about a body die...... Hmmmmmmmm.....

bodywerks

I have a choate custom tactical that I am about to bolt to my .223 action. Did you do any skim bedding on yours or just bolt up and go?
    Looking to do mid-range F-class with mine as well. Right now I'm trying to work up a load for Berger 70's with little success. My rifle seems to like the Sierras better. I think I will try the 77BTHP's

Basic Member

25.5gr?.....thats a bit over book max, my future wifes Savage 223 started to come in at 24.7-24.9grs with 75gr A-Max. At 2.355" is it touching the lands?
    Doug

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Team Savage

Bodywerks - I simply bolted it in and changed out the parts of the magazine to work with the .223 round. No other bedding was done, but it wouldn't hurt. I learned from a couple Old Benchrest guys (one of them has a funny name..... Jewel) that it's worth the time.

dk17hmr - Yes, 25.5 is high. As a stated before, use caution and work up your load slowly! I don't mean to be disrespectful, and I'm sorry if that came across sharp. Never expect one rifle to perform the same as t the next. I setup another rifle for a friend, using the same gear...... his stopped at 25.0 and performed the same way.

Please use caution and becareful.

Remember - The Nut behind the Butt controls the flight of the bullet..... not the gun!

wwb

My 12 FV with a Boyd's stock..... glass bedded receiver and free-floated barrel. Otherwise, bone stock, with a cheap Simmons 6-18X50 AO scope. Its favorite load (so far) is a Sierra 60 grain Varminter over 24.5 grains of Reloder 15..... honest 3/8 inch 5-shot groups. I've tried a couple different 69 grain bullets with different powders.... fair accuracy, but sure don't match the 60 grain loads.

???? image won't load for some reason..... here's the link:

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php...5&ppuser=19827

Team Savage

wwb - I've always liked that setup. Is your barrel a 1-9 twist? Have you tried any 68, 69 or 75's?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kschilling
    dk17hmr - ...........I don't mean to be disrespectful, and I'm sorry if that came across sharp.......
    Please use caution and becareful.

Remember - The Nut behind the Butt controls the flight of the bullet..... not the gun!
    I know what you mean, I have a custom (non savage) 300 WSM that my loads are above book max.

Just making sure I read that right
    Doug

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.