Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which scale do you use?

Turbolung

Thanks XL105

The Lee dispenser is absolutely fine,, the problems come from the type of powder being used. Stick powder will not generally meter as well as a ball type powder. Ball powder is finer and will be more consistent. Stick powders like Varget and 4064 just through your charge a little low on the scale pan, place pan on the scale then trickle to where you want it.
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XL105 View Post
    Isn't that the point when shooting long range. Point being you want to ensure that everything from trigger forward is constantly the same. You want to take as much out of the equation as you can. Leaving only the guy pulling the trigger to be questioned and the wind. I think It would be hard to evaluate Your performance when you are questioning the tools you are using.
    But you didnt answer my question. Its easy to say whatever we wish, but again, ask yourself the question.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    The Lee dispenser is absolutely fine,, the problems come from the type of powder being used. Stick powder will not generally meter as well as a ball type powder. Ball powder is finer and will be more consistent. Stick powders like Varget and 4064 just through your charge a little low on the scale pan, place pan on the scale then trickle to where you want it.
    Or if its a little heavy just dampen the end of a finger and take some back out?

Which scale do you use?

Yobuck is a f in idiot
    Last edited by XL105; 01-31-2016 at 09:16 AM.
    Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

Basic Member
    Lol wow. Not only did I answer your question. The video did too.
    Not sure what you are trying to argue. But to take yourself through the levels of "scoring" consistently. If you are not using the proper equipment your scores will be stage net. Consistently n accuracy can Only come when ALL the tools (including shooter) are of quality n and consistency. If your bullet isn't seated exactly the same depth of the same weight from shot to shot the shooter Cannot compensate for its inconsistency. Same with powder weight brass capacity etc.
    I am not advocating for people to spend money on "higher end" equipment when only shooting 100 to 400 yards. Be happy with your equipment your consistency. It's about You. Not Me or any one else.
    I am no where near my potential but I can say that the tools I'm using are pretty darn close. I'm very happy with All that
    Hopefully I have now cleared up any questions you may have.
    You have, and since your an experienced shooter you can no doubt understand the nature of the questions.
    That being, the best equiptment wont make you the best shooter. And not having the best wont make you a bad shooter.
    Someone just starting out loading really dosent need the so called very best and may well never need it to produce good loads.

Which scale do you use?

Yobuck is a f in idiot

Which scale do you use?

Yobuck is a f in idiot

Basic Member
    He asked which scale you use. I told him And explain why I use it.
    As did all of us, but now the question becomes, did the answers answer the op's question?
    Did the poor quality video answer his question? Did the poor quality video really answer (any) questions? lol

Which scale do you use?

Yobuck is a f in idiot

yobuck. I posted the vid. It was in response to the "precisely weighed powder charges are not important" mentality. Not necessarily and exact answer to the OP's question. However, as you know, one simple question turns into a plethora of questions when you get responses from the variety of posters you find on this forum.

Since many can claim to be an authority, sometimes we simply let the professionals speak. Nothing is incontrovertible but success adds legitimacy to the argument. Therefore; A good balance beam scale like and RCBS or any Ohaus manufactured scale can be the foundation of great reloads if it is good condition and has not been abused. Not a lot of money but with proper understanding and care it will do the job.

The Poster did not ask how he could become the best shooter with expensive or cheap equipment. With this brand or that brand equipment. He asked "which scale do you use"? He received several replies and several people decided to muddy the waters. Sometime you need to add a weir to remove the turbidity.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Or if its a little heavy just dampen the end of a finger and take some back out?
    I use the snort trap,, you put a little screen in your nostril and use the straw that comes in the kit and snort a kernal or two out if necessary.

Which scale do you use?

Yobuck is a f in idiot

Basic Member
    While those two old goats fight it out I'm using the new old stock 505 I tuned last year after my son "permanently" borrowed my old tuned D5!

It doesn't drift, doesn't need a power source, doesn't need warmed up an hour before use and its as accurate /repeatable/consistent as a Rolex or a cheap Timex. I do have two digital scales, a RCBS and a Gem Pro 250 but seldom use them.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Your fine XL 105,, accurate scales is a good thing,, especially if your going to get into the long range game, every bit helps.

Turbolung
    Lol my question was answered and thanks to all who took time to help a brother out. I know better equipment will not make me a better shooter but also understand the importance of consistency, and how better equipment provide that. I'm a big fan of Yobucks practical approaches and easy to understand verbage. Also all the little tips Bill and others that shared..sorry if I missed any names..like I said..this tiny screen makes it hard to everyone. Xl105,, thanks for the vids and your information. I know I will need to know more. Big DanSavage also uses practical approaches like Yobucks..that's the stuff that's easy to remember for a rookie like me lol but seriously, I appreciate all the tips and low downs on products. I hate buying something trying to pinch a PENNY and end up spending twice as much having to replace it with a good product. I wouldn't have known about the issues with digiscales. And it's also good to know the Lee disprnsors isn't garbage. Nice to meet all of you and hope I don't annoy any of you with my questions, cause Lawd knows there will be more bahahah

Basic Member
    Heck, I've been using an RCBS 505 for 38+ years. It's reliable & magnetically dampened.
    I use it to validate my powder measure, the old school RCBS measure, also 38+ years old, and my Dillon and Lee measures.
    The volume measures are great with ball powder, but when it comes to extruded powder (4064, 3031, Varget) I use the RCBS since it'll "chop" the powder grains.
    Even cutting the grains, I've never seen more than 1/10th of a grain in variation.
    It's all in a consistent motion.
    :-)
    Last edited by orcldba; 02-04-2016 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Missed a work

Basic Member
    I am replacing my RCBS (PACT) and Lyman auto dispensing electronic scale with a SmartReloader ISD. If you get one, be sure you tweak the settings with each powder you use (And SAVE the settings) to really speed things up without overcharging very often. Once set for that powder, you are golden. You CANNOT do this with the Chargemaster. You can adjust the speed / trickle settings but you can't save multiple settings so it only works the best for the one you set it with. Some guys add a small piece of plastic tubing (McDonald's Soda Straw) at the opening of the tube to prevent powder stackup.

I will keep my old 10-10? Ohaus as a backup for when there is no power or to verify the electronic from time to time, but I DETEST loading with it. In fact I pretty much hate using a balance beam scale for anything. I guess I am one lazy old guy. My Lyman auto dispenser has produced ammo that shoots in the teens, but it is too slow for me and tends to drift over an hour or so.

Whatever you get if it is an electronic scale, consider putting ferrite chokes on both ends of the power supply wire. They usually eliminate odd behavior and drifting if done right.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geezerhood View Post
    Whatever you get if it is an electronic scale, consider putting ferrite chokes on both ends of the power supply wire. They usually eliminate odd behavior and drifting if done right.
    The 'drift' of an electronic scale over a few hours, plus the increased sensitivity is the reason that I volume load, checking every 10th load when in the top 20% of the charge weights. Under normal circumstances, I can see that a fraction of a tenth of a grain difference makes as much as 15-25fps difference. Yes it can make a difference but I haven't found that it was worthwhile.
    I used to shoot high power, weighing every single charge, but overall loading technique and shooting technique overpower the difference of a fractional tenth of a grain, but then I'm no longer a bench rest shooter or high power shooter... I just enjoy it!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orcldba View Post
    The 'drift' of an electronic scale over a few hours, plus the increased sensitivity is the reason that I volume load, checking every 10th load when in the top 20% of the charge weights. Under normal circumstances, I can see that a fraction of a tenth of a grain difference makes as much as 15-25fps difference. Yes it can make a difference but I haven't found that it was worthwhile.
    I used to shoot high power, weighing every single charge, but overall loading technique and shooting technique overpower the difference of a fractional tenth of a grain, but then I'm no longer a bench rest shooter or high power shooter... I just enjoy it!

I have heard of drift being eliminated with some scales using the ferrite chokes. I plan to try them with my new scale once it arrives.

I throw most of my charges from a good measure and get quit good accuracy from those loads with most powders, but for the 1000 to 1500 yard stuff in 50 BMG and 338 Lapua, I still weigh every charge even though they are just for fun for me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    While those two old goats fight it out I'm using the new old stock 505 I tuned last year after my son "permanently" borrowed my old tuned D5!

It doesn't drift, doesn't need a power source, doesn't need warmed up an hour before use and its as accurate /repeatable/consistent as a Rolex or a cheap Timex. I do have two digital scales, a RCBS and a Gem Pro 250 but seldom use them.

Bill

Biil,

Can you elaborate on how you tune your 505 scale. I have a 10-10 and seems it doesn't always settle consistently.

Ron

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slurpin dog View Post
    Biil,

Can you elaborate on how you tune your 505 scale. I have a 10-10 and seems it doesn't always settle consistently.

Ron
    The 10-10 is a repackaged 5-10. There are a couple things to to look at.
    1. The Vee shafts on center balance must be clean and sharp.They're best cleaned-LIGHTLY sharpened using a stone and a magnifying glass. If they're pitted or beat up either replace the shaft or get a new beam.
    2. The agate blocks(bearings) each rest on a rounded top 'dimple' in their towers. The tops are usually painted the scale color. The paint should be removed and the top polished like a mirror so the blocks can move freely and align to each other.

Which bring us to the pan support hanger, it's shafts and the support itself. They're as if not more important than balance shafts and blocks.

The pan support hanger vee shafts should be sharp, the hanger end loops must be parallel to the beam with minimum outside to outside clearance on the end of shaft nubs. The center of the end loop must be centered on the center of the beam. The 'hook' on the pan support should be clean and polished. A pan that seems to oscillate next to forever is a very good thing!

Just a important keep the scale covered and clean the bearings, vee shafts and pan hanger support occasionally. I use rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip.

There are a few other things to look at and or do and correct but with those I those I mentioned your 10-10 should react to one kernel of extruded powder,~.02 gr and be repeatable across its entire weight range.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

well I have an old scott parker tuned ohaus 10-10, a chargemaster, 2 gempro 250's and a ohaus yj102

I also have a lee perfect powder measure and a Harrell precision BR powder measure

what I do for long range stuff is throw charges, weigh and trickle (I have the omega electronic trickler) on one gempro and then check the weight on the second gempro. If they agree I feel the load is accurate. I can do this faster than my chargemaster and know it is much more accurate.

hunting and other range ammo I set the powder measure up with the gempro and throw charges. This is the fastest method.

TRDFurgesson
    Quote Originally Posted by sixonetonoffun View Post
    I use a 5-0-5 with a trickler.
    Its dampening is decent in fact awesome really. Which is one of the primary (but not only) complaints against the Lee mentioned.

I would like.to do some volume vs weight tests. 223 is about the only throw and go loading I do. Reloder7 meters so smooth it works really well.
    +1 on the 5-0-5, every electronic scale I have had has failed me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12