Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which scale do you use?

Turbolung

Which scale do you use?

Hey Fellers, I'm going to get a kit and wanted to know how reliable the scale that comes with the Lee Challenger is. Or do I need to get a digital one, and if so can I get by with a cheap one from a headshot or eBay? Which leads me into the main question,,, are the powder dispensor that comes with said kit reliablly consistent and accurate? Or would I still need to weigh each round to ensure match grade quality? My thoughts are if I still gotta double check and top off each round I may as well just get one of those spoon kits and a trickler..know what I mean?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCBS-Model-R.../281878572020.

You could find a Scott Parker Tuned scale.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Turbolung
    The link says item no longer available..is it a digital? How much was it?

Basic Member
    The dispenser from lee kits works very well for me. The scale leaves a lot to be desired. I bought a Dillon beam scale very happy with it. As far as it dropping the same powder charge every time I'd say mine for most powder is around 95%. When loading bulk I just check every ten or so to double check. Digital scales are not near as accurate in the cheap market.

RCBS 10-10 or 5-05. They need to be cared for properly and some used ones have been left assembled and that is bad. There are other quality beams out there.

Basic Member
    Mywiegh Gem pro 250 is what I use extremely accurate

Basic Member
    I use the Hornady digital scale and don't have any complaints with it. Got it from Cabela's on sale for like $75.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    A spoon, a trickler and a good old balance scale you can buy on ebay is as good as anything you can buy as for accuracy.
    Im still using a Redding balance scale that is over 60 years old. Digital scales can be affected by certain type lighting so
    keep that in mind.

Basic Member
    I use a 5-0-5 with a trickler.
    Its dampening is decent in fact awesome really. Which is one of the primary (but not only) complaints against the Lee mentioned.

I would like.to do some volume vs weight tests. 223 is about the only throw and go loading I do. Reloder7 meters so smooth it works really well.

Have both a RCBS Digital and a 10-10 beam both work very well.

Which scale do you use?

Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

I personally use a Gem Pro 250

I use a Frankford Arsenal LOL works great for me. I was recently going to upgrade the cheap scale but can't find any reason why I need to, it is repeatable, get's me very small groups and high scores ,, including 5 clean 40 round match's last year, 1 with .223Rem and 4 6br.

The thrower from the Lee kit is good like said it throws accurate about 95% of time but I haven't tried the trick of tapping on it 3 times before throwing a charge. I use a Redding trickler that works good too.

If I had enough cash to spend freely I would def get a scale with the auto trickler just to save time.
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Basic Member
    I just got a chargemaster from Brownells, was using a 505 then range master 750 and never had an issue but gave in and went fully automated . I can see why a lot of folks say they count not go back to a scale and trickler or scoop. Still will use powder measure or auto disk for pistol as the CM can be used as a plain scale as well.

You can spend a lot more and get a lot less. The Lee scale will accurately measure down to 1/10th of a grain and will indicate down to 1/20th of a grain.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Kenhwind
    The best beam scale or one of the better ones was the old style Pacific/Hornady. For some reason I became disenchanted with mine and bought a new Dillon, which is an Ohaus. I works quite well, but I haven't loaded any rifle rounds lately.

I also have the Lyman digital. It is a nice scale for the money, but I'm inclined to think that the digital scales are erratic to some degree. Not necessarily inaccurate, but maybe too accurate which would account for the deviation.

Which scale do you use?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XL105 View Post
    It really comes down to what you are loading for. How accurate and consistent you Need to be.
    I'm personally loading for F Class and long range shooting. Consistent and accurate scale is must. Along with many other precision tools.
    So im just assuming youve noticed a major improvment in your scores based on the way you load now as compared to how you used to load?
    But none of that can be attributed to more experience? Dont answer on my behalf, but answer yourself on your own behalf.

Which scale do you use?

Yobuck is a f in idiot
    Last edited by XL105; 08-27-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Yobuck is a f in idiot

A good vid all around but listen closely starting around 11:45 for a clue of how a national team shooter thinks regarding accuracy and consistency of powder charge weight.

Which scale do you use?

Yobuck is a f in idiot

Turbolung
    Definitely appreciate every word of advice you Fellers have shared. To be honest I'm liking that I can get by with the spoons, a trickler and a cheap scale. It doesn't sound like not having a high end scale is going to prevent me from reaching my goal..which is accuracy without dropping $100 on a scale or $300 on a dispensor. There's little doubt I WIlL not be able to resist the urge to upgrade I'm te. Especially for a dispensor I can rely on the automatically throw the exact amount of powder I want and not have to worry it its what it was supposed to be. But I don't plan to shoot competitions other than for braggin rights and ammo bets lol I also doubt I shoot well enough that a grains difference will cost me a shot. I hunt and target shoot for fun. Thanks for letting me know the dispensor that comes with a Lee kit isn't gonna give the results I want so I don't waste money buying one. If it comes with the kit so be it but if I can get by getting components I won't get it. BTW, is there a section on here for being used equipment?

A balance beam requires a little care to maintain consistency and accuracy. Follow those guidelines and you will do great.

Which scale do you use?

Yobuck is a f in idiot

Turbolung
    Oh yeah, thanks for sharing which ones are good especially which disprnsors are reliable enough to set it and not really have to weigh it to make sure its dead on. If I wasn't using a stupid cell i d be able to throw a shout out to the one who shared that... I do hope to be able to shoot on your levels one day and it would be cool to have the experience to notice the effects of not using equipment that costs more than what I drive lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast