Thread: Alliant propellants

Alliant propellants

I've taken note as to the "out of stock - no back order " posted on several site's that sell Alliant powders.
    Apparently there's a shortage? ......... have I missed something?
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

No, you haven't. Just remember that "Alliant" doesn't own any facilities, nor actually makes any powders.
    Alliant fell under the ATK flag. They HAD the contract to run the Radford Arsenal, and therefore had capacity for some of the Muurican made powders. Well ATK done-did get chastized by the G for not keeping up with demand a few years back, and lost that contract. So now BAE(British AeroSpace) is running the Radford Arsenal.
    Call me cynical, but my guess is that BAE is concerned with contracts, and not a semi load order of something for the people they replaced.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

That pretty much sums it up. That and temperature sensitivity has kept me from buying ANY Alliant powders.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    vihtavuori N560 & N570 look interesting. Just not a fan of the price. But at least ya can buy it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    I've taken note as to the "out of stock - no back order " posted on several site's that sell Alliant powders.
    Apparently there's a shortage? ......... have I missed something?
    Also. Try finding some Ramshot Hunter or Magnum!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by sixonetonoffun View Post
    vihtavuori N560 & N570 look interesting. Just not a fan of the price. But at least ya can buy it.
    Just started using Viht 570 in a couple of my 300 Shoulder Dislocators.

I like it a lot. Spunky and burns clean.
    Not crazy about the price but, it is what it is.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    vihtavuori N100 powders are still available for people concerned with the coating caused fowling. I don't shoot enough volume to care. The coating on the N500 powder can't be any worse then Hodgen extreme powders.

Another thing to remember about "Temp sensitivity" and coatings.

Being "Insensitive" is certainly NOT a universal property. They are such only under specific conditions. Although Hodgy won't directly tell you what they are built around, Varget was built to be such with 145-155gr bullets in the 308. For that it does very well. In the 223 with 55gr bullets specifically, it is MUCH worse than the old H335/Bl-C(2). None of this means that you can't get good accuracy with it, just that it isn't as magical as some would wish you to believe. Looking at the limited data Hodgy puts out, many times the Extreme series isn't statistically any different than a very old competitor. So don't live an die by the marketing, do what works for you.

The coatings used on extruded powders to give them stability, can/do have a real side effect. Varget specifically has a nasty side effect of creating Hard Carbon fouling. This is greatly exaggerated when used in small caliber bores. In the 204 the accuracy is very nice, but the accelerated HC fouling can be a real devastator... Been there, have that T-shirt. This side effect has been well known for some time. When I first ran afoul with it, I thought I had cleaned properly and the throat was torched. Until I spoke with Sierra. They were very good about not calling out any one in particular, just informed me of the coatings side effects. Get some JB bore paste and REALLY get with the scrubbing, and you can rid yourself of the problem. Lets you know that "traditional" carbon solvents won't deal with it.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

I use Alliant propellants more so for all my pistols and shot guns. Id much rather not have to re-develop loads again. Looks like I may have to.
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Another thing to remember about "Temp sensitivity" and coatings.

Being "Insensitive" is certainly NOT a universal property. They are such only under specific conditions. Although Hodgy won't directly tell you what they are built around, Varget was built to be such with 145-155gr bullets in the 308. For that it does very well. In the 223 with 55gr bullets specifically, it is MUCH worse than the old H335/Bl-C(2). None of this means that you can't get good accuracy with it, just that it isn't as magical as some would wish you to believe. Looking at the limited data Hodgy puts out, many times the Extreme series isn't statistically any different than a very old competitor. So don't live an die by the marketing, do what works for you.

The coatings used on extruded powders to give them stability, can/do have a real side effect. Varget specifically has a nasty side effect of creating Hard Carbon fouling. This is greatly exaggerated when used in small caliber bores. In the 204 the accuracy is very nice, but the accelerated HC fouling can be a real devastator... Been there, have that T-shirt. This side effect has been well known for some time. When I first ran afoul with it, I thought I had cleaned properly and the throat was torched. Until I spoke with Sierra. They were very good about not calling out any one in particular, just informed me of the coatings side effects. Get some JB bore paste and REALLY get with the scrubbing, and you can rid yourself of the problem. Lets you know that "traditional" carbon solvents won't deal with it.
    Roger that. I found that out while cleaning my Model 10 FCP in 308 that I exclusive run Varget out of. I bored scoped it and realized what I was in for, at least I thought so. After scrubbing and really getting after it, I bore scoped again and found out otherwise. I ended up placing the barrel in my solvent take at my the dealership I work at which is 40%solvent and 60% clean transmission fluid. I shoved the solvent hose in the chamber, turned the machine on, closed the lid and let it run for days on end. It cleaned it alright. I had to do the same thing cleaning my gas tubes on my gas guns. Ive run Varget on 2 of my target gas guns rigs for years so in there defense, I expected them to be at least partially congested. They've probably had upwards of 1K of rounds go thru them if not more.
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    I just seen this thread today and it got me kind of concerned, as I use Alliant powder for my gas guns and haven't needed to restock. So now I want to work up a new load for my 6.5-284 and RL26 was at the top of my list. Now I go down to the store and they've got lots of Alliant and you guessed it. RL26.
    So I guess there really isn't a shortage.
    Just like on another thread about bolt heads and how nobody was able to get them. After I posted my problem trying to get one I got help from some of the members on here and they were in stock at three different suppliers!

Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    I just seen this thread today and it got me kind of concerned, as I use Alliant powder for my gas guns and haven't needed to restock. So now I want to work up a new load for my 6.5-284 and RL26 was at the top of my list. Now I go down to the store and they've got lots of Alliant and you guessed it. RL26.
    So I guess there really isn't a shortage.
    Just like on another thread about bolt heads and how nobody was able to get them. After I posted my problem trying to get one I got help from some of the members on here and they were in stock at three different suppliers!
    me too....Ive been using rl-15 on one of my gas guns and have been extremely pleased with that combo for that rig . luckly its in 223 so it doesn't eat that much so hopefully my 5 lbs should last.....least I hope so
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    I wish I had more info on rl26 for the 6.5-284 but I'll find out for myself in a couple of weeks.
    The rl15 has been really good in my AR10 (308) and AR15.
    So far haven't had any problem getting the alliant powder. Hope it stays that way.