Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor loads

6.5 Creedmoor loads

Big brown truck brought my goodies today. Dies and bullets. But turns out all my reloading manuals are to old and don't contain any creedmoor info. I'm going to order a new one but want to start as soon as the brass gets here.

Powders on hand=
    Reloader 17
    IMR4350
    Varget
    H4198
    H4831

Bullets=
    Sierra 107 smk
    Speer 90 tn

What would be some good starting loads with these combos?
    Last edited by 03mossy; 12-31-2015 at 07:06 PM.

Basic Member

Basic Member
    here's another good tool for loads: http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...ge-data-lookup
    Holy Crap!!

http://www.nosler.com/load-data
    RL-17 and IMR 4350 are the most appropriate for heavy match bullets, Varget for the lighter things in life. The current Hornady manual has more data than Hodgy does.

Start at the starting loads, and don't expect to be able to reach the max. I've got LOTS of Pressure Traces in the Creedmoor. DO NOT use "Classic Pressure signs" to know your max. Those signs typically show-up when you are north of 70,000 psi. Velocity is how you tell if your powders burning rate is different than what was tested in the data. When you surpass book velocity at ANY load amount, you have passed book pressure.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

P.M. me your email and I can send you pics of the hornday manual data to get ya started.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Was able to get out and shoot yesterday in the cold and snow. I finished adjusting the scope then shot 3 groups of 3 with the factory 120 amax. 2 of the groups were some of the smallest groups I have ever shot!! The old overused saying "can be covered with a dime" is true in this situation. This barrel has potential! My handloads on the other hand were an epic fail!! After I shot the factory ammo i shot the 3 groups of 3 different handloads with the 107 smk's and Reloader 17. smallest group was probably 1.5", not good. Its back to the drawing board this weekend to try again. But at least I know its not the barrel or the gun because I see what its capable of with the factory ammo.

Sounds good! Well...the factory load part of it lol. Ive not shot the CM but they seem to be easy to load for, so Im sure youll find something that works.
    Dont they put the load data on the CM box? I might have another cartridge in mind.....
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Team Savage
    OP I went through that. Had great factory load results and not reload results for a while. I almost started thinking "why am I doing this". But if you approach it systematically, you can find what your rifle shoots. Im hoping that all those different powders are not for working up the CM. I would think that would add confusion running so many different variables at once. Do you NOT have reloading manuals? If not, I would leave everything on the shelf until you get them. The bullet manufacturer will have a known accuracy load that would be a good place to start and then start adjusting a single variable at a time noting your changes. I was really new a few months ago. Read my threads here and on the range thread so you can see the load aspects and results. You will get the picture. My rifle loved the winchester box ammo and I drove away several days thinking I should just stick to shooting those but I found a load that works even better finally. Win shot well at 100-300 but there was a pretty large spread in values over the chrony. This would have shown itself past 500 for sure. Now most of my spreads are single digits.