Thread: rebarrel

Basic Member

rebarrel

I'm looking to rebarrel my model 12 and have narrowed the field to a 6 dasher or a 6 creedmoor. it will be used mainly for punching paper but may see some p-dogs and ground hogs. and any ideas for length? thanks for any help.

LongRange
    28" seems to be the magic number with the dasher....with either i wouldnt go shorter than 26".

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTC View Post
    I'm looking to rebarrel my model 12 and have narrowed the field to a 6 dasher or a 6 creedmoor. it will be used mainly for punching paper but may see some p-dogs and ground hogs. and any ideas for length? thanks for any help.
    Can't comment directly on the Dasher, only the Creedmoor.
    As for "popular" powders that are appropriate, arguments about barrel length are mostly semantic. IF you want to stay within SAAMI pressures, the gains with barrel length are very minor. If you are in the crowd that thinks that "pressure signs" somehow are accurate, then yes. Over-pressure and extra length can gain you velocity worth talking about.
    From doing Pressure Trace strain testing, if you use a progressive propellant you can give up VERY little, at significant pressure reductions. The most progressive propellant in the Creedmoor is Superformance. From a 24" factory rifle, 4350 at full SAAMI max will get you essentially 2700 fps. With Superformance you can get 50fps less when only running around 50,000.

Do what makes you happy.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    thanks for the help

Definitely the Creedmore
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    If you want accuracy hands down the Dasher. It does require more work through fireforming as you probably already know. The creed is a great cartridge, a little cheaper to run and can be quite accurate but the Dasher has it beat if you don't mind the work.

I know a lot of guys running them in PRS and 26" barrels will get you right around 3k with 105 hybrids. The creed can run up to 3150ish. While Hornady brass is pretty good it's no lapua.

Basic Member
    Also consider the 6x47 lapua. I would take that over a 6 creed.

Sorry, but I don't understand. If you're using a short action and a quality barrel what's wrong with a 243 win? Lapua brass is available and no fire forming/extra steps. Just gotta be different I guess?
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

schnyd112
    A short, fat powder column has shown to burn powder more efficiently. The long neck and improved shoulder help deter throat erosion. And of course they are able to be mag fed with long bullets seated optimally. Lots of variables, but the short fat benchrest type cartridges are all the rage right now.

The 6.5x47 (and by relation the 6x47) is that length, at least from my understanding, because when small rifle primers were tested, the length from the flash hole to the shoulder was made to match the flame length of an igniting primer.
    Last edited by schnyd112; 04-13-2016 at 02:29 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnyd112 View Post
    A short, fat powder column has shown to burn powder more efficiently. The long neck and improved shoulder help deter throat erosion. And of course they are able to be mag fed with long bullets seated optimally. Lots of variables, but the short fat benchrest type cartridges are all the rage right now.

The 6.5x47 (and by relation the 6x47) is that length, at least from my understanding, because when small rifle primers were tested, the length from the flash hole to the shoulder was made to match the flame length of an igniting primer.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Basic Member
    Thanks for all the help guys