Thread: what scope should i get for my new 17 hmr, and wat ammo should i shoot? thnxs

tkdkid37

what scope should i get for my new 17 hmr, and wat ammo should i shoot? thnxs

i just baught a new 17 hmr at bass pro and im pickin it up this friday. it comes with a scope and my rifle is all cam0flauged. it is an alsome gun. i would lik to know what would be the best ammo to shoot out of it for varmints and small hogs tht come into my feeders. also, wat scope should i buy if the scope my gun is coming with is not good. thnks ;D

yanici

Re: what scope should i get for my new 17 hmr, and wat ammo should i shoot? thnxs

Sometimes the air gunners are ahead of the curve on this. I know that I learned about a scope made by Hawke. It is a Varmint II model that adjusts in power from 6 to 24 and has an adjustable oblective lens that you can focus in at the exact range you're shooting at. It focuses in close too. When I shoot at 100 yards I can see my 22 cal holes in my paper targets. I found the clarity to be as good as some expensive scopes like the Bushy Elite 3200 series. The elevation and windage knobs clicked right back in on repeatability when clicking in different ranges. And, they have great customer service and lifetime warranty. All that in a $150 scope.
    http://www.hawkeoptics.com/

Team Savage

Re: what scope should i get for my new 17 hmr, and wat ammo should i shoot? thnxs

a vortex crossfire

KajunKat

tasco 2.5-10x42 gets a lot of great reviews for a $60 scope. Local rimfire shooters at the club swear by them. I am getting one myself here pretty soon.

http://www.opticsale.com/tasco-targe...8_d_VAR251042M

Jay22

Just put a Mueller 4-16x50 AO Sportdot on my BSEV 22. Has to be the nicest combo I have had in my hands. Scope is clear, paralex down to 10 yds. Sportdot is a great reticle.

Team Savage

I would say a good quality 4-16x with fairly fine crosshairs.
    Maybe a Mueller, Nikon or something like that.
    I would not get a mildot scope.

I have a Pentax 4-16x on mine mostly because it was cheap, but its okay.

There are about a million 4-16x scopes out there, so buy the best one you can afford.

I had a Meuller 8-25 on mine for a while and it was too much scope.
    Nice at the 25x for target but too hard to pick up game at 8x.

I get the tightest groups out of 17gr Vmax ammo.
    Shot CCI and it did pretty good. Just ordered some winchester 17gr vmax
    bullet because I read they are very accurate, but have not tried them yet.

Forget the CCI 17gr TNT round. They shoot about 3" - 4" in my rifle while the vmaes shoot about 1" - 1.5"

I just bought a 6-24x50 Vortex Crossfire from SWFA a site sponser and it is great.

I shoot hornady 17gr V-Max and it does great in my Ruger 77/17.

Mr. YACYAS

Nikon Prostaff is the best bang for buck in my opinion in the 150 range but if your willing to pay more I would go with the monarch series. You won't regret it.

Basic Member

I have a Crossfire 6X24X50 on my CZ 22LR and I think the 50mm scope is just too big for a rimfire. I had a Mueller 4.5X14X44 APV on my 17HMR and I think that is just about perfect although the 4X16 should be great also. I think the APV is around $100.00. A lot of scope for the money.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

rez187

first i would spell check my post...............im not a great speller either but wow! then i would get a cabelas or bsa sweet 17, scopes are bullet drop calibrated out to 300 yards for the 17hmr. glass is not great but adequate to 300 yards.

leftyboy

I own 4 mueller scopes and other than the Pentax Pioneer I don't think there is any way to get more scope for your money in that price range. ;D The guarantee is the best too.

Curt