Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .308 Shilen Select Match Decision

Basic Member

here are shots 11-15 shot during barrel break-in

and shots 6-10 all 5 shot groups shot during a down pour at 100 yards wish i didnt have the fliers in each set

i broke it doing
    1 shot clean
    1 shot clean
    3 shots clean
    then shot those in 5 shot clean after that i went to 300 yards and did 10 shots clean it rained so hard it ruined the fclass target i had set up for grouping .

LongRange
    You got a hammer there...I've shot out 5 shilen barrels and every one has produced groups like yours...great shooting.

Basic Member
    Ive only had a chance to fire 10 rds looking for pressure signs. Got 30 rds whipped up for OCW and may have found a local property to get out to 900 yds. I'm thinking OCW results will be better monitored between 200-300 yds. After that Ill be on to depth adjustment but the 10 I shot so far at 100 yds were 1 ragged hole so harmonic interference is definitely reduced when barrel rigidity is increased. I'm curious to see what happens with OCW, as I have a feeling POI vs POA variance will be drastically reduced when compared to my OEM 20" light varmint contour barrel.
    Some people want to make a difference in the world. I'm just here to howl at the moon.

LongRange
    Shoot your OCW at 100yds you will get better data.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    Shoot your OCW at 100yds you will get better data.
    Interesting. Not doubting you at all, as your experience dwarfs mine. Any particular first hand experience would be appreciated, what have you noticed?
    Some people want to make a difference in the world. I'm just here to howl at the moon.

LongRange
    Shooting at 200+ yards can and will introduce to many other variables,wind and shooter to name a few...unless you are I very good shot and can hold extremely steady stick to 100yds your going to see what you need to there and when you find a load that shoots as good as you do or as good as you want it to shoot that load at 2-3-400yds and see how it holds up.

ive shot just about every kind of load development you can think of and can tell you if you follow the OCW to the T it's the fastest way to find a load...take your time and don't get in a hurry.

Basic Member
    Gotcha. Id bet drop variance from charge to charge could be an issue as well at those distances. Good info!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12