Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308 Shilen Select Match Decision

Basic Member

.308 Shilen Select Match Decision

I really had my heart set on a 26", but I can have one shipped to me tomorrow thats 28" long. Bull contour. This rifle will be used for F-T/R and plates 1000+ yds. Am I being silly hesitating because this barrel is 2" longer than planned? Sheesh what a monstrosity hangin off my chassis when compared to my 20" snub nose. First world problems, I know. Thoughts?
    Some people want to make a difference in the world. I'm just here to howl at the moon.

Basic Member
    Well, if it were me, and I already had a short .308, I might go 28" but in a different caliber. Nothing against the .308, but why not try something different? One of the main reasons I have a .308 (it was the last of about 8 different cartridges/calibers I ever bought) is I wanted a good shooter with a short barrel. If going long, why not try something that really shoots better with a longer barrel? How about some kind of 6.5mm??

Edit:
    oh, maybe 'cuz you said you want it for F-T/R

Basic Member
    Yep, FTR only allows .223 or .308. My next build would be a straight .243 or .300 WM
    Some people want to make a difference in the world. I'm just here to howl at the moon.

Basic Member
    Ooh ooh; go 28". The FT-R fellers at my range tried talking me into the 30" barrels. I went Shilen select match 26" in 300WM because I'm not shooting FTR and didn't want the extra length. I sure could have used the weight though.

Basic Member
    "FR", if you don't mind, where do you shoot up there ?

Thanks...Jim :-)

Basic Member
    It's going to be doggone heavy.

But if you're looking to shoot FT-R exclusively/competitively, that'd be the ticket...
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

LongRange
    FR you will appreciate the weight and length when you shoot it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    "FR", if you don't mind, where do you shoot up there ?

Thanks...Jim :-)
    Right now I'm having a hard time finding a place to regularly shot beyond 100 yards. I looked into Peacemaker but with my schedule id only be able to use the 1000 yd range once a month if I'm lucky. Im calling 340 Defense today to speak with them, they have 300 yard lanes. Right now I'm using the 100 yard indoor lanes at Elite shooting sports in Manassas. It's getting pretty expensive at $25/hr, I go probably two hours a week for practice. I just finished up a class at bangsteel.com and that was the first time I've shot beyond 250 yards. I'm trying hard to find some local private property to use regularly, and might have something lined up for up to about 300 yards. Just need this snow storm to melt and can go take a look.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Russmerle View Post
    Ooh ooh; go 28". The FT-Rfellers at my range tried talking me into the 30" barrels. I went Shilenselect match 26" in 300WM because I'm not shooting FTR and didn't want theextra length. I sure could have used the weight though.
    I bet. Do you have any problems sitting down and slinging 50 rds in a session? Your shoulder I mean. Or is it pretty tolerable for you?

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    It's going to be doggoneheavy.

But if you're looking to shoot FT-R exclusively/competitively, that'd be theticket...
    Agreed-more weight=bigger muscles. And less recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    FR you will appreciate the weightand length when you shoot it.
    Did I see you say in another thread you're going Krieger next time? Any advantage over the SSM, all other things being equal?

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Front Royalty View Post
    Did I see you say in another thread you're going Krieger next time? Any advantage over the SSM, all other things being equal?
    im shooting a bartlein on my comp rifle now and can tell you i will only shoot cut rifling barrels from here on out...im going to try a kreiger next on my comp rifle but only because i want to see if some of the things ive heard are true about kreigers...i have a bartlein blank in my safe im going to have chambered in 260AI when i get my reamer...i was going to go kreiger but i already have the bartlein and am VERY impressed with them.

but yes i think there is an advantage...shilens are great barrels ive shot several but the cut rifling barrels are better IMHO...just know that a kreiger or bartlein is going to cost you about $600 bucks for a blank and chambering...southern precision is doing bartlein small shank prefits but im pretty sure hes backed up.

Basic Member
    ...southern precision is doing bartlein small shank prefits but im pretty sure hes backed up.
    Probably so, as I have an order in for trueing a Rem 700SA single shot and 6MMBR remage bartlein barrel and don't expect delivery until sometime late March.

LongRange
    thats not to bad though...and thats why i buy my own reamers...i take a barrel and my action in and have it back in 3 days then i set the head space myself.

Basic Member
    thats why i buy my own reamers
    You mean there are more things for us to spend money on?!?! This little hobby of mine will probably have me selling my dirt bike and skydiving gear. Ive been doing both for a couple years and have managed to stay in one piece so far... time to quit while I'm ahead. Like any hobby, this ish aint cheap.

Basic Member
    You mean there are more things for us to spend money on?!?! This little hobby of mine will probably have me selling my dirt bike and skydiving gear. Ive been doing both for a couple years and have managed to stay in one piece so far... time to quit while I'm ahead. Like any hobby, this ish aint cheap.
    A street legal dirt bike can be a handy thing to have for finding shooting/hunting spots. Just sayin.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    A street legal dirt bike can be a handy thing to have for finding shooting/hunting spots. Just sayin.
    And so could a skydive with a rifle strapped to my chest! Hahahaha

LongRange
    sell or trade the wife and kids first...i did.

honestly if ida known when i started this i would of started with a custom action...i love my savages dont get me wrong but in the long run i would of saved myself a lot of money.

I have a bull barrel on my 308 that's 28" and I don't have any issues with it on the bags when shooting. If you find you don't like it, you can always have it chopped and re-crowned.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    And so could a skydive with a rifle strapped to my chest! Hahahaha
    Skydivng with a rifle strapped to your chest to a drop zone with a waiting dirtbike....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Russmerle View Post
    Skydivng with a rifle strapped to your chest to a drop zone with a waiting dirtbike....
    The thought has crossed my mind.

Basic Member
    Just a thought: with the 28" you may want to check your total weight. F/tr has a lower limit than F Open. (18.2 ??)
    When I built a new wood stock for my F/TR .223 with 28" bull barrel, it came in at 17.9 when checked at a match.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Solo View Post
    Just a thought: with the 28" you may want to check your total weight. F/tr has a lower limit than F Open. (18.2 ??)
    When I built a new wood stock for my F/TR .223 with 28" bull barrel, it came in at 17.9 when checked at a match.

My first question was "how much does that thing weigh???" I'm at 13# now, so I have 5# and change to play with, but yes: sage advice!

Basic Member
    Pulled the trigger on this today. Should be here this week, when load development will begin!

Basic Member
    Right now I'm having a hard time finding a place to regularly shot beyond 100 yards. I looked into Peacemaker but with my schedule id only be able to use the 1000 yd range once a month if I'm lucky. Im calling 340 Defense today to speak with them, they have 300 yard lanes. Right now I'm using the 100 yard indoor lanes at Elite shooting sports in Manassas. It's getting pretty expensive at $25/hr, I go probably two hours a week for practice. I just finished up a class at bangsteel.com and that was the first time I've shot beyond 250 yards. I'm trying hard to find some local private property to use regularly, and might have something lined up for up to about 300 yards. Just need this snow storm to melt and can go take a look.
    Hey man I just moved to Springfield, VA and I'm also looking for places to shoot in the NOVA area. I'm hoping to check out the Quantico range one of these days. I'll let you know how it turns out. I've never shot any centerfire rifle matches but I'd like to get into one and see how it goes.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
    Hey man I just moved to Springfield, VA and I'm also looking for places to shoot in the NOVA area. I'm hoping to check out the Quantico range one of these days. I'll let you know how it turns out. I've never shot any centerfire rifle matches but I'd like to get into one and see how it goes.
    I plan on joining 340 Defense this spring, they are remodeling their 400 yard range. I'm interested in F-T/R and any paper punching beyond 100 yds. Let me know how quantico turns out, Ive never been.

Basic Member
    have a 30" bull barrel on my lrpv in 308 and just pulled thr trigger on a 28" bull barrel in 6.5 creedmoor today for my f open class rifle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast