Thread: substitute for go/no-go guages

Team Savage

substitute for go/no-go guages

I recently read somewhere of a way to set head space on a re-barrel without the use of high dollar go/no-go guages.
    But with the amount of forum I have been visiting lately, I cannot remember where I saw it
    Got any clues?

A once fired case full length resized.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    I like to use a full length re-sized case (using the dies I am going to reload with) to set headspace.

Then put two thicknesses of clear tape (like the tape you use to tape a picture into a photo album) on the case head (same case used above) and use that for your no-go gage. Clean case head, dry, apply two thicknesses of tape, place on hard surface and trim tape flush with a sharp knife. Headspaced action should not close on this case.

Try several cases after headspacing to make sure your chamber is not too tight.

Note that this might result in your rifle being head spaced too tight for factory ammo to chamber. Not a safety problem, but that could ruin a hunt if you forget your reloaded ammo.

Don't headspace using a live round!

If you don't know what you are doing, please get help the first time you screw on a barrel.

Keith

Like scope, I say use a FL sized(thus min spec) case. The only *trick* is to NOT be ham-handed. It is easy to Crush down on, whereas a official guage won't. So go slow, and FEEL what you are doing.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

And if you are going to use tape actually measure the tape, to make sure you have the right clearance.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.