Thread: Need a new rangefinder...

ajlandis

Need a new rangefinder...

For the last couple years, I have had a bushnell elite 1500 and have been very happy with it. This week, I found out it doesn't work very well when it is left outside in a bucket for a week. A very rainy week. So, before I order another just like it, is there any others I should check out in the same range of price and quality? I haven't kept up with the new stuff for a couple years, so I don't know if there are any new kids on the block that should be considered. Thanks for suggestions.

Idahojoe

Re: Need a new rangefinder...

I made the mistake of using a Sworovski rangefinder, bought one & have no regrets. It works better than advertised. Good luck, Joe

pa hog

Spend the $100.00 or so extra and get a Leica CRF

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ajlandis
    For the last couple years, I have had a bushnell elite 1500 and have been very happy with it. This week, I found out it doesn't work very well when it is left outside in a bucket for a week. A very rainy week. So, before I order another just like it, is there any others I should check out in the same range of price and quality? I haven't kept up with the new stuff for a couple years, so I don't know if there are any new kids on the block that should be considered. Thanks for suggestions.
    Not sure how bad it is but here is something you can try to dry it out.

I have tried this trick after reading about it. I have done it to electronics that have gotten wet. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Go buy some dry oatmeal, it needs to be plain with no flavoring at all. Take the electonic device and wrap it in a paper towel to keep the oatmeal dust from getting everwhere. Place that item in a ziplock bag. Next fill the bag with the oatmeal and seal it. Let it set for a week or two then remove the item and try to power it up. The oatmeal draws out the moisture pretty effectively.

In most cases when it doesn't work it is because it was powered up while still wet. When it did work it was allowed, in most cases, to sit in the the oatmeal before it was powered up.

It is cheaper than buying a new rangfinder and might work for you. Ohh and don't eat the oatmeal afterwards no matter how hungry you might be :).

Dolomite

Don - LongRangeSupply

The Elite 1500 is still the best rangefinder for the price. Granted it is larger than the Leica and isn't as clear optically but it blows it out of the water on the distance it will range. (over 500 yards further)

The new Bushnell Fusion binoculars will range almost as far as the Swarovski (1800 yards) plus you get the benefit of fairly decent binoculars for observation / spotting.

I would rate them as follows for the under $2000 price range

1 Swarovski - longest range unit made in that price bracket
    2 Bushnell Fusion - best all around rangefinder / observation dual use unit for the money
    3 Bushnell Elite 1500 best rangefinder under $700
    4 Leica 1600 (haven't tested one yet but for the money the 1500 will at least equal it in distance
    5 Leica 1200 Its strong point is SIZE, it is small. Kind of anemic on distance. Rarely goes past 900 yards, will hit 1K sometimes. If you don't need long distance they are very small and light.