Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stainless 16 Lightweight Hunter 7.62x39 build

Team Savage

Nine? Geez. I don't think I want to live where you live then. :D

Basic Member
    Springfield Mo. Walmart are growing all over here. Stupid hormones in the chicken. Lol
    The 9 isn't even counting the smaller green walmart markets

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newsshooter View Post
    I don't see the interest in this caliber in a bolt gun, why? Seems like a 300BO or 6.8SPC would be a better choice, more velocity, though it doesn't make sense to me in a bolt rifle either. I'd think the 6.5 grendel would be a good choice, good bullets with high BC and decent velocity.
    One of the reasons to chamber a traditional semi-auto carbine cartridge to bolt action (or single shot) is because of the performance advantages of the platform. Semi-autos work in a very narrow power range and pressure curve. If the load is too light it will not cycle, too heavy and it can break action parts or cause abnormal wear and threaten reliability. If the pressure curve is different because of a different powder burn rate, etc. it can cause a failure to eject or jam the action. Also traditionally, semi-autos have more variables to control to make it accurate. Having a bolt action eliminates or reduces many of those problems. You can handload for the performance you want. It makes the cartridge of choice more versatile. Subsonic, supersonic, light loads, light bullets, heavy bullets heavy loads, whatever combination you want.

The 7.62x39 is a slave to the platform it was designed for. The AK and SKS have relatively low pressure rating due to the design of the bolt lockup. Therefore, the spec pressure for the round is low because there are so many AK and SKS out there.

Put the 7.62x39 in a bolt action gives it a new lease on life!

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/762x39.htm

http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/762ProjectRifle.html

BW

Basic Member
    Here is some good reading for the savage 7.62x39 builds and load development http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=144188.0

Basic Member
    Yesterday I ordered my enhanced extractor kit from SSS and today foxx said he packaged up my botom metal/mag and trigger gaurd from being coated ready to be sent to me. I think I'm ordering my barrel and stock this week

Basic Member
    Well I checked the finances and I ordered my AAA grade Custom Rollover stock from Richards Microfit and my X-caliber barrel from Apache Gun Works contoured to Savage Hog Hunter Spec. It's going to be a long 6-8weeks.
    Last edited by futurerider103; 02-10-2016 at 04:31 PM.

Team Savage
    Man, you're not messing around are you !?! Should be one heluva good shooting gun. I can't wait to have a shoot-off with you when you get it all put together. :D

Basic Member
    I'm going to be shooting factory ammo for the foreseeable future because I don't have a hand loading stuff and I'm buying a house here in the next couple months so factory ammo it is.
    But shooting it will surely happen regularly

Team Savage
    That's great. Buying a house means you can make sure you have an area for a reloading bench. LOL.

Basic Member
    I've been living in the house for the last year making sure it was where I wanted to buy and now we are certain. 3.5acres 5bd 2 bath basement. I'm sure I can find somewhere for a bench eventually
    Last edited by futurerider103; 02-10-2016 at 11:59 PM.

Team Savage
    5 bedroom? Dang. You have room for at least 20 kids in there. LOL.

Basic Member
    Well we have 5 kids a doberman and a great dane so we need some room

Team Savage
    I was one of five also. Would have killed for my own bedroom growing up.

Basic Member
    Oddly enough they all want to sleep in the same room and range from ages 3-14
    Last edited by futurerider103; 02-11-2016 at 11:02 PM.

Team Savage
    LOL. Kids these days.

Gonna be interested in seeing what kind of accuracy you can achieve with some of the common factory loads that I've been using. The Hornady SST's are remarkably consistent in my gun - always giving me around 1" and always delivering the round to the same POI, regardless of whether it's the first shot or 15th on a hot barrel. Can't ask for much more than that.

The Winchester soft points were the most accurate, but over my chrono, fall about 50 fps. shy of the Hornady which means they are a 150-yard round for me. The TulAmmo with it's impressive 2200 fps. with a 154-grain bullet carries the most energy - a legitimate 1000 ft. lbs. at 200 yards, while maintaining reasonable accuracy, so they may be my deer hunting rounds (or my wife or daughter's) going forward.

I'm really trying to resist the urge to hand load for my 7.62x39, but I know myself and eventually I'll give in. Esp. since the dies are only about $40 and I can use the same bullets as my .308. If I do take the plunge, I'm really hoping that the 150-grain Nosler Ballistic Tips shoot well out of my 7.62x39. Since most of what I've been shooting are .310 bullets, it will be interesting to me to see what .308 bullets do.

Basic Member
    Did you read post I sent to the guys Stevens 200 7.62x39 build? He has some awesome groups out to 300yds and gives his load. If you search his name he has another thread as well showing more

Here is the second part
    http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-312308.html
    Last edited by futurerider103; 02-12-2016 at 11:09 AM.

Basic Member
    There is a fellow on Greybeards who's handle is Gendoc that routinely "shoots for pinks" with his H&R/NEF Handi-Rifle in 7.62x39. He has won several expensive guns. I don't think he has lost yet!

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.p...msg#1099693146

BW

Team Savage
    That can't possibly be true. Everyone and their brother knows the 7.62x39 russian isn't an accurate round. :D

Basic Member
    Well I know that to be the truth

Basic Member
    Wooo hooogot some toys. I had Foxx do some work for me and now I have a complete bottom metal. Only 7 and a half more weeks until my stock and 5 and a half for my barrel!!!!

Boys getting ready. The rounds like to pop out so I need to squeeze the lips in a tad

Last edited by futurerider103; 02-12-2016 at 11:42 PM.

Team Savage
    Alright. I want to know how you got 4 rounds in that mag. I can only get 3.

Also, not to question your logic, but you're using a LWH action and then putting "real" bottom metal on it? Pls. splain'

Basic Member
    I got 5 in there. I also am putting a hog hunter profile barrel and a wood stock on it too. Neither of which are light.....I just really liked the milling on the receiver because it's just a little different than most and the fluted bolt is awesome so I bought a LWH from someone in the board.

Oh BTW Deadpool was awesome
    Last edited by futurerider103; 02-13-2016 at 02:28 AM.

Team Savage
    I figured that was the case. Well you have expensive taste sir! But bravo to you for doing something original. That is going to be a one-of-a-kind rifle alright.

And please 'splain how you get 5 rounds in that mag. I cannot even squeeze 4 into mine. Is it a stock magazine? I would LOVE to get 5 in mine!

BTW, I was at the range again today and a guy asked what I was shooting. When I got to the 7.62x39, he kinda chuckled and asked "what can you hit with that?!?" LOL. He had the same idea that most people have - that the round is just not accurate. The look on his face when I said "actually, it's my most accurate rifle" was priceless. So I let him handle my scout rifle and he said (like a lot of folks have) that he never knew a bolt action existed in that caliber. I told him he needed to do his homework because it's one of the best shooting, light recoil rounds you can put in a bolt action. Then he asked if the steel case russian ammo shot in it, and I showed him a 1.5" 5-shot group I shot at 100 yards with that 154-grain TulAmmo. The guy was speechless. He had a lot to process. ha, ha, ha.

Love my 7.62x39 bolt gun!!!

Basic Member
    My magazine is a stock magazine with a .243 follower. Pressed into the magazine says Std. Short.

I have made a deal for a Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40 for $130.

I totally love the face on people when they regurgitate some nonsense that they have no personal experience with. I can't wait until I get mine together

Team Savage
    Oh, he was a nice guy. It's just that the only experience he had (like most folks) was with the AK platform and FMJ surplus ammo. In a way, I was glad I could help him see that round in a new light.

Okay, so your mags are .243 then? That may explain it. Mine are the Savage 7.62x39 mags with the block at the back ( same as the .223 mags ). My bolt has an extended "tab" (for lack of a better term) on it that keeps the throw short. It's a short-action, but that stop on the bolt makes the throw even shorter than a standard SA. I guess they do this for the 7.62x39 and the .223 rifles.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast