Thread: 110 Hunter factory ejector versions

110 Hunter factory ejector versions

I just purchased a new 110 Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor from Cabela’s. This is the Accu-stock/non-axis style magazine version. I believe it was manufactured around summer 2018. It’s not feeding well. It has an extractor that is shaped differently than the other six Savages I own (the left and right sides are shaped differently). However, it has the typical ejector that I’m used to seeing that has a slight 360 degree bevel.

I looked at a new display model 110 Hunter in .308 and it definitely had an ejector that was not the typical I’m used to seeing. Rather than a typical 360 degree bevel, the .308 had a single angled slice shape (for lack of a better description).

Are these angled ejectors new for all short actions or only for .308 and possibly some others?

If this angled ejector is a newer solution for better feeding, I’d prefer to go that route than achieve marginal success tweaking feed lips of the mag. Please know any help is greatly appreciated.

Basic Member
    While playing around trying to get better ejection with shorter cases i discovered the farther the ejector protrudes the better the cases ejected. Drawback was if the ejector was too long then it would catch on the case when feeding before entering the chamber. As a remedy i cut a ramp like Savage did on the side of the ejector plunger. After fabricating and heat treating a few different styles of plunger i gave up because i ended up pretty much where Savage was.

I did notice however that some of the factory Savage plungers have the notch for the retaining pin cut too wide and the plunger notch will catch on the bolt head during compression. This will screw up feeding also.

Hope you get it figured out.

mnbogboy2: Thank you so much for your input & experience. Do you have any approximate idea when Savage started to use the ejector with the directional ramp? My initial thought is that if I obtain several of those, that may help because if one has the retaining pin notch cut too wide, hopefully the others wouldn’t. Has anyone ordered these from Savage and are they difficult to obtain? Thank you!

Just a few extra details: The magazine is always inserted rearward first. Additionally, this is happening approximately one out of every four rounds (this is whether I put three or four rounds in the magazine, but it jams less often with three in the magazine). This happens with Hornady American Whitetail, Federal Non-Typical, Winchester Deer Season XP, and Remington Core-Lokt. Any further input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 111FHNS View Post
    mnbogboy2: Thank you so much for your input & experience. Do you have any approximate idea when Savage started to use the ejector with the directional ramp? My initial thought is that if I obtain several of those, that may help because if one has the retaining pin notch cut too wide, hopefully the others wouldn’t. Has anyone ordered these from Savage and are they difficult to obtain? Thank you!
    If sharpshooter chimes in, he would be the one to know when and why Savage made that particular ejector. All the ejectors i have ordered have been through midway usa and are the standard style. The ones i made are basically one of a kind and only "case hardened".
    Hopefully Savage will sell these parts (you never know till you try).
    Tweeking the feed lips on your magazine may just get you where you want to be, especially if it feeds better with 3 than 4. It may not have anything to do with your ejector at all.
    Hopefully others will give their input.
    Good luck

Basic Member
    The reason for the oddball ejectors and extractors are all related to the 6.5 Creedmoor and AI style magazines. The extractors are the old controlled round feed versions with the bottom corner beveled off. These seem to work on a controlled round feed bolt head where the rim can slip under the extractor lip, but on a standard feed bolt head, it doesn't work any better than a standard extractor.
    The angled ejector was added to solve a feeding problem with AI style magazines for the Creedmoor. Then at some time they used this combination for any rifle chambered in Creedmoor, whether it used a standard mag or an AI. Most of the time it didn't solve any feeding problems, mainly because the problem lies in the cartridge case having very little taper.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."