Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 243 to 7MM-08

Basic Member

243 to 7MM-08

Is a barrel the only thing I need to change or are there other required components? What would be a good brand of barrel without spending a fortune?

Basic Member
    Only thing you need is a barrel and go/no go gauges. Savage take off would be cheapest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you'll need a barrel for sure, I went with a new recoil lug and barrel nut as well, and I also had to get the headspace gauges, and action wrench. A barrel vise is a big help as well.

Basic Member
    I believe the barrel nut is a good idea. Never thought of that.

Basic Member
    Another thing, don't they make a special wrench to take the barrel nut off? Probably be a good idea to get something designed for the job rather than try to cobble something up I would think even if it costs a little. Could use it in the future as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    Another thing, don't they make a special wrench to take the barrel nut off? Probably be a good idea to get something designed for the job rather than try to cobble something up I would think even if it costs a little. Could use it in the future as well..
    If you have the smooth barrel nut and are planning on replacing it, then a good old pipe wrench will take it off. If you're going to invest in the action wrench (barrel nut wrench) then I suggest getting the slotted wrench to match the new barrel nut you are going to get.

I recommend Criterion or Shilen barrels from Northland shooter supply.

https://northlandshooterssupply.com/...terion-savage/

Yes, you will need a head space guage to do it right. The .308 family of cases
    share the same guage. .308, 7-08, 243, and the 260 Remington.

I would agree using NSS as your one stop shop. Give Jim a call.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    How much difference in cost would be involved if you just bought another gun?

Basic Member
    ^^^I imagine you could buy an Axis cheaper than a good barrel but probably not a Model 10. Another thing, another gun would need another scope, probably $250-300 for a good, durable one and then there is the rings and base. It would all add up to quite a bit.

Basic Member
    Why 7mm-08? Just curious.

Basic Member
    I'm changing the barrel on mine and I'm surprised more people don't go down this route. If you already have gun, you can turn it into something special for less money than getting yet another factory so so.

I have a 308 and 243. I like the 243 but if not for the 308 the 7mm-08 might be an option.

Basic Member
    Barrel life is much better than a 243. Overall I think it is a better caliber. Less recoil than a 308 although I doubt it is a lot less. I have never shot one but it looks good on paper.

7mm08 is a great whitetail cartridge. and very accurate round for middle and longer ranges
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I support the notion of a few barrels for one gun. I have an older 110 with 243, 308 and a magnum contour 358 barrel. I think the 308 is destined for a trip to JES reboring to become a sporter 358 and that magnum contour barrel will become trade fodder. But I digress.

It is simple for me to move back and forth from a light cartridge to a thumper in the matter of an hour including sight in. These urges are seasonal and I have saved a lot of money by just switching barrels, instead of buying more guns

Basic Member
    7mm-08 is a great cartridge, not only for deer, it'll kill anything a 308 will.

Gun Shack has a McGowen 7mm-08 26" varmint contour barrel in stock. Most other barrels will be a long wait to get.

http://www.gunshack.com/barrels/mcgo...tainless-steel

If you're wanting a sporter contour barrel, send me a PM. I have a factory 22" Savage barrel with factory sights that I'll let you have for the price of shipping. I took it off an action that I bought, it doesn't look like it has been shot much.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    7mm-08 is a great cartridge, not only for deer, it'll kill anything a 308 will.

Gun Shack has a McGowen 7mm-08 26" varmint contour barrel in stock. Most other barrels will be a long wait to get.

http://www.gunshack.com/barrels/mcgo...tainless-steel

If you're wanting a sporter contour barrel, send me a PM. I have a factory 22" Savage barrel with factory sights that I'll let you have for the price of shipping. I took it off an action that I bought, it doesn't look like it has been shot much.

Is a sporter barrel as good as a heavy barrel for accuracy? I know a heavy barrel doesn't heat up as fast and usually are longer, giving more velocity but other than that are there advantages?

Basic Member
    ^^^I imagine you could buy an Axis cheaper than a good barrel but probably not a Model 10. Another thing, another gun would need another scope, probably $250-300 for a good, durable one and then there is the rings and base. It would all add up to quite a bit.
    Also money invested, compared with money spent, as in resale value.
    As for scope, swapping them from gun to gun is no big deal so long as each gun wears the same base.
    Id personally keep the gun and buy another, both are usefull cartridges.

Is a sporter barrel as good as a heavy barrel for accuracy? I know a heavy barrel doesn't heat up as fast and usually are longer, giving more velocity but other than that are there advantages?
    A good sporter barrel will shoot well, but like was said, heats up much faster
    and can start throwing shots. On the other side of the coin, the Sporter will
    cool much faster then a heavy target type. If it's a hunter, heat is a non
    question. As for choosing the 7-08 ?? it's a decent cartridge no doubt. If me,
    I'd do a 6.5 Creedmoor and have a wider spread of utility. I've been shooting
    one for some time. It can get it done. And one of the easiest to tune of any
    rifle I have shot.

See if Midway has one of the Shaw barrel kits in stock for that caliber. They come with with barrel, wrench and gauges to do the job. EABCO may be another place to look for one of the kits.

Basic Member
    I have many deer/elk guns and as many varmint guns and even a few African game guns.
    My go to is currently a hurters Mauser in 6mm rem, but for 35 years it was a cheep savage in 243.
    Literally tens of thousands of shell went through her. 400 shot Pdogs days it is easy to blast away. I have killed GOBS of deer and plenty of elk and a few bear with it. I NEVER felt under gunned. A 75 gr speer for coyote/P dogs and a 85 gr speer for the rest. Push them as fast as you feel comfortable and still keep the group under a 1/2 inch. Just saying.
    PS: It's still shoots as good now as when we worked up the loads 35 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 8mm RUM View Post
    I have many deer/elk guns and as many varmint guns and even a few African game guns.
    My go to is currently a hurters Mauser in 6mm rem, but for 35 years it was a cheep savage in 243.
    Literally tens of thousands of shell went through her. 400 shot Pdogs days it is easy to blast away. I have killed GOBS of deer and plenty of elk and a few bear with it. I NEVER felt under gunned. A 75 gr speer for coyote/P dogs and a 85 gr speer for the rest. Push them as fast as you feel comfortable and still keep the group under a 1/2 inch. Just saying.
    PS: It's still shoots as good now as when we worked up the loads 35 years ago.
    About how many barrels did you go through for tens of thousands of shells ??

Basic Member
    How many shells does a person go through in over 3 decades?
    5,000, 10,000 I think over but I'm on the same cheep savage barrel.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    If you have the smooth barrel nut and are planning on replacing it, then a good old pipe wrench will take it off. If you're going to invest in the action wrench (barrel nut wrench) then I suggest getting the slotted wrench to match the new barrel nut you are going to get.

I recommend Criterion or Shilen barrels from Northland shooter supply.

https://northlandshooterssupply.com/...terion-savage/
    Agree 100%. I spent a lot of time screwing with the "wrench" for the smooth barrel nuts. I'm done with them. If I ever remove another, I'm going straight to the pipe wrench and replacing it with another type of barrel nut.

Team Savage
    Believe it or not, the ultra-thin 20" pencil barrel on my stainless 7mm-08 Lighweight Storm might be the most accurate Savage barrel I've shot, and I've shot a bunch now. But that's as long as I let it cool between shots.

Lightweight barrels can be just as accurate as heavy barrels if you're willing/able to let them cool.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    As for choosing the 7-08 ?? it's a decent cartridge no doubt. If me,
    I'd do a 6.5 Creedmoor and have a wider spread of utility. I've been shooting
    one for some time. It can get it done. And one of the easiest to tune of any
    rifle I have shot.
    Fuji, I don't know where you get the 6.5 CM has more utility than a 7mm-08. Educate me, please!
    I've been shooting the Creedmoor for over 10 years. It's a good cartridge, but there are plenty other's that are as good if not better.
    I have two 6.5 CM's as well as a 7mm-08, given that if the gun's are shooting equal length barrel's the Creedmoor only has an advantage shooting 10 grain lighter weight bullet's than you can get in 7mm.

The 7mm-08 has the advantage when it comes to shooting heavier bullets with higher BC's than the heaviest 6.5mm bullets.
    The velocity differences between the two cartridges really doesn't matter that much, both cartridges will shoot accurately a very long distance

QUOTE=Mr.Snerdly;483111]Is a sporter barrel as good as a heavy barrel for accuracy? I know a heavy barrel doesn't heat up as fast and usually are longer, giving more velocity but other than that are there advantages?[/QUOTE]

For target shooting, I'd choose a varmint contour barrel. For Hunting I'd go with a Sporter or Magnum contour barrel.
    A Sporter barrel usually starts walking shots when the barrel heats up in 3-4 shots. Varmint barrel's with let you shoot several more shots back to back before they do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast