Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stainless 16 Lightweight Hunter 7.62x39 build

Basic Member

Stainless 16 Lightweight Hunter 7.62x39 build

Well I just got my stainless Model 16 LWH today in 7mm-08 so I can start building my take on what a 7.62x39 bolt action should be.
    A few months ago I started putting together a list with links so I had a plan and a budget

Here is what my build should be withing the next couple months!

These prices reflect when I put them in my list and may have changed.

$525 for gun from Quarterbore

$320 X-caliber Stainless 7.62x39 barrel #18 light Palma contour
    http://www.x-caliber.net/savage-pre-fit

http://www.x-caliber.net/contoured-blanks

$30 7.62x39 bolt head(may not need this)
    http://www.gunshack.com/index.php?ro...product_id=252

$199 Richards Microfit Custom Roll Over stock
    http://www.rifle-stocks.com/rollover.htm
    $149
    http://www.rifle-stocks.com/factory_seconds.htm

$118 Ptg bottom metal
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/164...aluminum-black

$33.20 AICS PMag
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231...-polymer-black

$38 EGW 20 MOA Base
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/egw-sava...flat-back.html

Anyways here's the good stuff you cane for and check back for more pics as I get more stuff. Also the 7mm-08 barrel and the factory stock and magazine will be for sale when I upgrade my membership

Last edited by futurerider103; 01-23-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Team Savage
    Your Base is for a flat back savage it will not work
    no need for a 20moa base for 7.62 x 39 ,

Basic Member
    I will overkill on the base that way for the future I have room to grow if I need to. Any quality optic will be able to zero with the 20moa base

Basic Member
    tag

Basic Member
    Howa are bringing one out in a micro action in a few months

Basic Member
    I've not handled a Howa before but I've had savages for the last 17yrs and I love the accuracy and price point so it's hard for me to stray

Team Savage
    FWIW - here's my Savage 7.62x39 bolt action "lightweight build" of sorts...

I bought a Savage scout rifle in 7.62x39. It has a 20" barrel that is tapped for a steel forward scout rail. Originally, without a scope, that rifle weighed 7 lbs. 5 oz.

I removed the Accustock with the bottom metal and replaced it with the tupperware stock from my model 11 TH XP (-18 oz.). I replaced the metal bottom from that 7.62x39 magazine with the plastic "axis" style mag. bottom to fit the tupperware stock (- 2 oz). I then swapped the oversized tactical bolt handle out for a lighter stock handle (-2 oz.). Last - I removed the iron sights from the barrel and receiver (-2 oz.)

Then I topped the scout rail with lightweight Weaver aluminum quadlock rings (3 oz.) and one of the lightest scopes on the planet - the excellent 4x Weaver scout scope (9 oz.)

End result is a scoped rifle that weighs 6 lbs. 12 oz. with a nylon sling and it gives me sub-MOA accuracy with just about anything I feed it, to 200 yards and beyond. The rifle is so accurate it's almost boring to shoot, and so light and quick-pointing that I reach for it every time I head to the field.

Good luck with your build. I just wanted to throw those figures out there to give you some options to consider. I personally like that 20" barrel that comes on the original Savage model 10 scout, but I'm sure you will find that a well built bolt action 7.62x39 will be very accurate and very enjoyable to shoot.

Oh, one other thing - you WILL need the SSS extractor to pull those steel 7.62x39 cases. I just swapped mine out and my rifle has never cycled so well.

Basic Member
    I am subscribed to your thread about your gun so I've been watching. I'm not as weight weight conscious on this build as you were with yours being that I'm going to have a medium contoured barrel and Woodstock I just want something that's nice that I will like to shoot
    I emailed SSS but I haven't received a response yet whether they still sell that longer extractor because I haven't found it on their website.

Team Savage
    It may take some time for them to respond. I emailed them my cell phone # and Lisa called me to take the order over the phone, so if you didn't give them your number, you might want to send that along too.

I get where you're coming from on the build. I wanted a super light brush/truck pig gun that I could literally run with if I needed to (and I have). When I am chasing pigs, anything goes, so the rifle has to be up to the task. I've jumped fences, literally sprinted through tall grass, crawled on my hands and knees, waded creeks, etc. to kill pigs, and that cheap tupperware stock and light rifle are just the ticket for that job. Only thing I'd add is a larger cap. magazine, but I'm working on that too.

If you wood stock your build and use a medium contour barrel, you will end up with a rifle that kicks like a .22 magnum. :D That will indeed be a fun one to shoot all day long.

Basic Member
    So here's some updates on what's going on.
    1. I have sold the factory stock and magazine.
    2. I've traded the barrel away for a factory bottom metal setup with mag and .243 follower which is now with Foxx being gun coated with one of his trigger matching trigger guards to match.
    3. I've checked on the barrel and unfortunately the prices have gone up on the X-Caliber barrels from $320 for the matte stainless barrel to now $380 so at that price point I can buy a McGowan custom barrel for $340 so as of right now I'm thinking I'm going to go with the Apache Gun Works for the X-Caliber barrel from them since I just found out they have the 7.62x39 reamer since its only $275
    4. I'm going to be buying the SSS enhanced extractor set this week.
    5. I have also decided I'm going with the factory seconds AAA Rollover stock

I'm a little irritated because I thought that since i was not using the PTG or other aftermarket bottom metal setup I was going to be saving a lot of money but the barrel price increase sucks but it is what it is.
    I'll post again when I have pics or something of substance to report
    Last edited by futurerider103; 02-07-2016 at 12:58 AM.

Team Savage
    Looking forward to it. Not sure what ammo you plan to run through yours, but I'm getting the best accuracy from mine with Winchester 123 soft points, followed closely by the Hornady SST 123's which are usually at or under an inch at 100. The best "bang for the buck" ammo I've tried so far is the TulAmmo 154 grain soft point, usually stocked by Bass Pro in their stores, for just $11/40 rounds. It groups well and chrono's at 2200 fps from my 20" barrel, giving it over 1000 ft. lbs. of energy at 200 yards. I am very impressed with the performance for that price.

Basic Member
    I'm already stocked on the sp tulammo

Basic Member
    Honestly I'll be fine with 1in groups but since mines going to have an aftermarket barrel hopefully I'll get some better groups

Team Savage
    Do you have the 123 or the 154 grain? I wouldn't expect 1" out of either, honestly, but you'll probably be closer with the 154 than the 123. I routinely get 1.5-2" groups at 100 out of the 154, which for me is just fine. Best I ever did with the 123 TulAmmo was probably 3". If you want sub-1" groups at 100, you'll probably need to shoot the Hornady SST 123's or Winchester 123 soft points, or roll your own.

Now, having said all that, I am shooting mine with a 4x weaver scout scope. It's a very nice scope with very precise reticle, and I've managed sub 1" groups multiple times with it, but it's still just a 4x. Maybe with a higher mag. scope you could do a little better.

Basic Member
    I have about 500 154 sp

Team Savage
    Well stocked. You will like that round a lot. I don't think it can be beaten for the price.

FWIW - I set up my chronograph at 200 yards yesterday, and shot my 154 SP TulAmmo over it, just to see what the velocity would be at that distance (and to work out the BC of that bullet).

My MV from a 20" Savage barrel is 2200 fps. nearly every shot. At 200 yards, the bullets were traveling on average 1730 fps. That came out to a BC of .32 for that bullet, which is about what I was expecting. That round from a 20" barrel retains 1000 ft. lbs. at 200 yards, which is what I was wanting for deer out to that distance.

A relatively accurate, incredibly inexpensive and potent round for deer and pigs. What's not to like?

Only question I have long term is what affect those steel cases will have on my SST extractor over time. I have had good luck so far, but steel on steel has to wear eventually.

Team Savage
    Incidentally, nowhere does any load data show 2200 fps. for a 150 or 154-grain bullet in the 7.62x39. I have no idea what powder they are using, but it's a hotter load than you can find in any of the data.

Basic Member
    Well its awesome to know others are are as interested in this round as I am

Basic Member
    I don't see the interest in this caliber in a bolt gun, why? Seems like a 300BO or 6.8SPC would be a better choice, more velocity, though it doesn't make sense to me in a bolt rifle either. I'd think the 6.5 grendel would be a good choice, good bullets with high BC and decent velocity.
    Last edited by Newsshooter; 02-08-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Team Savage
    Newsshooter, I wasn't sure how much I'd like the 7.62x39 in a bolt gun, but I can tell you that after having one and hunted with one now for a few months, I will always own a 7.62x39 in a bolt gun. It quickly made it to my "never sell" short list of guns, and that list only includes 4 so far.

Very managable recoil, plenty of energy for hunting deer and hogs out to 150 (easily) and arguably 200 yards with the right load (see above notes). The availability of inexpensive ammo was a huge plus for me, since I on occasion get into large bunches of feral pigs and frankly don't want to spend 100's of dollars killing the vermin. But I still want something that will drop them on the spot without beating me up or taking me too far off target with recoil.

So far, I've shot about 10 pigs ranging from football sized to 200 lbs. and one white-tailed buck, and the round performed perfectly on all of them. My Savage factory scout is ridiculously accurate (I've shot under .5" at 100 with winchester factory ammo) and sends every brand of ammo I feed it into the same group at 100 yards.

It's by far the best truck gun I've ever owned. So those are my reasons. And I was a bit skeptical when I bought it. I didn't think anything could ever replace my pre-64 Winchester 30-30 as my go-to truck gun for hogs, but this one has. And that's saying a lot.

Basic Member
    The ammo price was a huge plus and inspiration for me building this gun

Team Savage
    For example (and at the risk of cutting my own supply) this stuff shoots 1.5-2" groups all day long from my gun at 100, and easily under 4" at 200 yards, carrying a measured 1004 ft. lbs of energy at 200 yards. I'm not sure how that isn't ideal for shorter-range whitetail and hog hunting, esp. considering how light the recoil is. My daughter's .243 kicks way worse than my 7.62x39, if you can believe that.

http://www.luckygunner.com/7-62x39mm...ammo-40-rounds

Check that price. It's $11.50 for 40 rounds, not 20.

And I know they list the MV at 2100, but surely that's out of short-barreled AK's or SKS rifles, as my 20" bolt gun gives 2200 every time.

Basic Member
    At my local Walmart they have those 40rnd boxes for $9.87
    I try to do my best to buy a box or 2 a week
    Last edited by futurerider103; 02-08-2016 at 11:23 PM.

Team Savage
    Seriously? Of the 154's!?! That's great. I may have to ask my Wal-Mart to order some for me. :D

Basic Member
    We literally have 9 super centers in my area so I have a large selection

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast