Thread: Glass for a .280AI?

Basic Member

Glass for a .280AI?

Hey,

I am building a semi-custom .280 AI and I wanted to see what you all thought about glass for it. The action is a Remington 700 DBM (detachable mag) in .280, which I am rechambering to .280AI. The factory stock is beat to heck so Boyds is making a Circassian Walnut stock with a ebony tip for me. Rings are Talley. Now the big question... what scope? I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 that I like a lot, and I know where I can get another... what about a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40? I want some rugged, classy, and befitting of a nice semi-custom rifle.

Sound off!

--SRS

Quote Originally Posted by sageratslayer View Post
    Now the big question... what scope? I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 that I like a lot, and I know where I can get another... what about a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40? I want some rugged, classy, and befitting of a nice semi-custom rifle.
    I know several online places to get another....
    "Rugged" "Classy" are an individual's taste.
    For my taste: I wouldn't waste a moments breathe on any SFP scope, No exceptions. My Primary Arms 4-14 FFP mil/mil has a 18 moa base made out of tinfoil, it has survived 1500+ rounds and a 4-wheeler crash. That type of ruggedness IS classy to me. So are you actually going to use this, or show off with? What mag range makes you happy? How good are your eyes?
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Hey,

The rifle will be used for Elk/Deer/Moose (if I get lucky and go to AK) in Southern Oregon. I wouldn't mind showing it off, but it won't get carried in the rain... the Savage Light Weight Hunter in 7-08 fits the bill for that. Eyes are good... at 28 years old... I don't expect any shots over 300... if its that far, I'll try my luck at stalking closer. The farthest shot I've had on a deer down here is 32 yards. Last years buck was 20 yards.

http://www.natchezss.com/weaver-supe...cle-matte.html

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/tag/weaver/

http://www.natchezss.com/weaver-3-15...cle-matte.html

Assuming you are building a hunting rifle, and it will be used at distances below 600yds, these are the best scopes in their price range, IMO, and better than many more expensive scopes as well. I own five of these, four on hunting rifles and one 4-20 target dot model on a target rifle, and I've had zero complaints with the scopes themselves. My only gripe is that they don't include scope covers, but I've found that Burris rubber- and elastic covers that come with their Fullfield scopes fit the weavers perfectly, and Burris is very cooperative about getting you a set of them. I wouldn't put any other scope on a hunting rifle for my purposes, which is Southern whitetail hunting, mostly from box stands at ranges from 0-300ish yards. The scopes are bright, clear, well made, and super easy to adjust, with turrets resettable to zero very easily. Lately I've become a fan of the illuminated dot reticle, but the EBX is excellent as well if you want a holdover style reticle.
    These are not Chinese junk. They are well-made Japanese scopes with good glass. They are a little on the heavy side, but that doesn't bother me at all, as I'm not hiking the mountains with mine. I really think you should give them serious consideration. Don't let the Weaver name put you off. These are their top of the line models and are really good scopes.
    I own five of these at $375-or so each, and a couple of Nightforces that each cost more than all five of the Weavers put together. I can without hesitation say that the Weavers were a much better use of my money. And I can break clay pigeons just as well at 600 yds with my Weaver 4-20 as I can with my Nightforce NXS 5.5-22. And I don't worry near as much about it getting knocked off a bench and damaged, either.
    I recently introduced a buddy to the joys of smashing clays at the max range offered at our local club, which is 600. He had never previously shot beyond 200, and not much even at that range. With my help and using my Savage VLP .308 with a Criterion barrel and the Weaver 4-20, he was breaking them immediately on about 5 out of 6 shots. He was astounded, to say the least. Many months later, he asked my opinion about a scope for a Savage hunting rifle he had just bought. Without hesitation I recommended the Weaver. His response indicated that he thought all Weaver products were junk. I reminded him that the rifle he had so much fun with that day, was wearing a Weaver, and his whole attitude changed toward them. He had not noticed the brand of scope on my rifle, only that it was a Savage, which was also a revelation to him as he has been a Remington guy previously.

Not a big fan of exposed turrets that can't be locked down on a hunting rig.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Glass for a .280AI?

These are locked down. You have to pull up to adjust, then pop back down to lock. Also, they can be reset to zero after sighting in, so in the unlikely event that they got moved, it would be easily noticeable because they wouldn't be set on zero anymore.

Basic Member
    Hey,

I am building a semi-custom .280 AI and I wanted to see what you all thought about glass for it. The action is a Remington 700 DBM (detachable mag) in .280, which I am rechambering to .280AI. The factory stock is beat to heck so Boyds is making a Circassian Walnut stock with a ebony tip for me. Rings are Talley. Now the big question... what scope? I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 that I like a lot, and I know where I can get another... what about a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40? I want some rugged, classy, and befitting of a nice semi-custom rifle.

Sound off!

--SRS
    I have three vx3 3.5x10s. One sits on a 7x300 weatherby heavy sporter and is a late 70s era scope. About 10 years ago i sent it back for an elevation knob to be installed.
    When i bought it knobs werent available on Leupolds. I still have the custom reticle i had installed shortly after buying the scope, which was installed by Premier reticles.
    There is a dot @100 yds, Then @300 yds and @ every 100 yds out to 1000 yds. There is also another horizontal cross hair @600 just as a reference.
    So at a glance you know 1 below it is 500 and 2 above it is 800 which is quicker and safer than counting from the bottom.
    I killed a bear at 700 with it before the knob was installed with a first round hit.
    So the dots are dead nuts accurate with the load it was programed for. For a hunting gun where dialing isnt always possible due to time constraints, this is a very good setup.
    A 280 ai is very close to a 7 rem mag balisticly so it would also work well for that.
    I bought one about 5 years back from a friend who had it about as long as i had mine. I sent it back for a reticle change as i didnt want the heavy duplex it had.
    They contacted me and said they had found a problem in the scope they couldnt repair due to no parts for that vintage scope. So they sent me a brand new one free, but i did pay for the reticle upcharge.
    So you can buy one on ebay for $350/450 with a lifetime guarantee.

I would suggest a Bushnell 6500 or a Sightron Big Sky.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    Everyone has their own taste. I first put a Leupold VX-3 3-10x40mm CDS on my Savage 11 LWH with #2 contour 280AI 23" barrel. I have since gone to a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 LR CDS with Side Focus. Love the relatively light weight when compared to similar variable power scopes. The simple uncluttered profile, duplex reticle, great glass, side focus and custom CDS dial work better for me than a ballistic reticle for accurate longer range shooting. I prefer the Leupold Alumina lens caps and scope covers over slip on objective covers. I've tried many other scopes and brands over the years, but I came back to Leupold when they finally got their act together and upgraded the VX-2 and VX-3 models with competitive glass. The lifetime, no hassle warranty and resale value have also been better with a Leupold IMO.

Hey,

The rifle will be used for Elk/Deer/Moose (if I get lucky and go to AK) in Southern Oregon. I wouldn't mind showing it off, but it won't get carried in the rain... the Savage Light Weight Hunter in 7-08 fits the bill for that. Eyes are good... at 28 years old... I don't expect any shots over 300... if its that far, I'll try my luck at stalking closer. The farthest shot I've had on a deer down here is 32 yards. Last years buck was 20 yards.
    Then quite honestly for shots that close, it really doesn't matter much at all with a 280 for you. Drop won't be large enough to dial anyway.

None the less, I won't buy SFP, so I vote either Primary Arms 4-14 FFP, Mil/Mil. or a Weaver #800363
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.