Thread: Mueller Target 8-32x44 vs. Swift Premier 8-32x50 vs. others?

Basic Member

Mueller Target 8-32x44 vs. Swift Premier 8-32x50 vs. others?

Alright guys, so I've fallen into the trap of buying too many rifles and not enough optics as of late, and I'm needing to get a few of them up and running before the nice weather rolls around. I'm looking for relatively cheap scopes with high magnification and decent quality glass. I have access to shoot 1,500 yards regularly, and I'm curious what might suit me best for some of those longer range shots.

I've come across a couple of interesting high magnification (but cheap) scopes in my search. I know, I know, it's better to spend the same money on less power because the glass quality is better, yada yada. I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with either the Mueller Target 8-32x44mm or the Swift Premier 8-32x50mm.

I included the links for both of them.

Anyone have experience with either of those scopes? Are they worth the money? Would you suggest any others? Or am I just better off spending another $200 and getting a Viper?

Any insight is appreciated.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

scopeeye
    I have both of them and the Mueller is a 30mm with side focus, and the Swift is a 1 inch with AO. They are both good scopes, not to be confused with "good scopes for the money" good scopes period.

Dean

Basic Member
    Would you give the edge to one vs. the other?
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

scopeeye
    No I would not I do like my Swifs though, but I can save you some money.
    http://www.thesportsmonkey.com/swift...8-32x50mm-cao/

And if you can swing they extra 50 bucks that you were going to spend on the Mueller this is the one to get.
    http://www.thesportsmonkey.com/swift...ope-6-24x50mm/

Dean

Basic Member
    My son recently bought 2 used Nightforce scopes from a friend who used them on quite a few different rifles.
    He had piccitiny bases on all the guns, and the scopes had rings with levers in lieu of the normal nut arraingment
    for attaching to the base. On and off in seconds and with a record of the zero for each gun it wasent an issue for him.
    They are so nice we left them on just to see how we like them.
    Id sooner have one good scope rather than a bunch of not so good ones.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scopeeye View Post
    No I would not I do like my Swifs though, but I can save you some money.
    http://www.thesportsmonkey.com/swift...8-32x50mm-cao/

And if you can swing they extra 50 bucks that you were going to spend on the Mueller this is the one to get.
    http://www.thesportsmonkey.com/swift...ope-6-24x50mm/

Dean
    I just can't stand 1/8 MOA adjustments. Would rather have milrads, or 1/4 MOA at the very least. Internal adjustment on those can't be more than like 20 MOA, and if I'm looking to stretch the legs on either of those, well... it probably wouldn't end up too well. I may also go with the PA 4-14 FFP since, at the very least, I'll be able to take it out to 1k.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    My son recently bought 2 used Nightforce scopes from a friend who used them on quite a few different rifles.
    He had piccitiny bases on all the guns, and the scopes had rings with levers in lieu of the normal nut arraingment
    for attaching to the base. On and off in seconds and with a record of the zero for each gun it wasent an issue for him.
    They are so nice we left them on just to see how we like them.
    Id sooner have one good scope rather than a bunch of not so good ones.
    Oh yeah, 100% agreed. Was just curious about some of the cheaper ones. I'm going to hold out for a Viper to go on the RPR... Might consider the Swift for my 6.5 Grendel.

scopeeye
    I never worry about not having enough elevation, I never have that much bullet drop.

Dean

Basic Member
    Whats the plan for the Viper?

Basic Member
    Going on the RPR .243.

Just need something that's not going to break the bank. Will probably end up with a Viper HS-T but still weighing my options.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by scopeeye View Post
    i never worry about not having enough elevation, i never have that much bullet drop.

Dean
    lol!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    Going on the RPR .243.

Just need something that's not going to break the bank. Will probably end up with a Viper HS-T but still weighing my options.
    Ive not heard any complaints with Sightron, and i know a few guys who use them pretty well.
    Might be something to consider looking at.

Basic Member
    Well my initial thinking was to find something on the cheap as the rifle already set me back $1,200. I like the PA 4-14 FFP that I have on my Grendel, so I was just going to grab another one of those (still might), but then I found some of these other higher magnification scopes from Mueller and Swift... So then I got to researching them more and essentially it led me back to Vortex/Sightron in that $7-800 range. It's a vicious cycle.

I'm looking for decent magnification range, glass quality, mil/mil turrets and reticle, FFP, etc. and not trying to break the bank. So I'm essentially describing a unicorn. It's looking more like another PA or step up to the Vortex realm. Decisions, decisions.

I have the Mueller on my 6mmAI and has held up well,no problems so far.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    I got the same Mueller for a year. Got it mounted on a Savage Mark ii FV, great value for the price over 1000 rds on that rifle. Have moved it over to a Savage Model 12 FV .223 for 150 rounds and replaced it back on 22lr with no issues. Great glass from 50 - 100 yards very clear. 200 yards and up you don't have a lot of play on the side focus and the turrents the clicks are just ok. But for 200 bucks or less who's to complain.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrvideostore View Post
    I got the same Mueller for a year. Got it mounted on a Savage Mark ii FV, great value for the price over 1000 rds on that rifle. Have moved it over to a Savage Model 12 FV .223 for 150 rounds and replaced it back on 22lr with no issues. Great glass from 50 - 100 yards very clear. 200 yards and up you don't have a lot of play on the side focus and the turrents the clicks are just ok. But for 200 bucks or less who's to complain.
    That's what I was concerned about. It sounds like the Viper and PA 4-14 FFP are going to be the better options for long range plinking. May still grab one of them just to try out for myself, but probably not on any of these rifles.

Thanks for the comments.