Thread: .308 Reloading for Savage Hog Hunter ???

Flipco

.308 Reloading for Savage Hog Hunter ???

Im getting ready to reload for my Hog Hunter .308 20" barrel.
    I've been reading a lot in regards to the powder and bullet combo I'll be using which is.....Varget and Hornady 168gr A-max with Winchester primers on mixed brass that was full length sized.
    Cases are trimmed at 2.005 and OAL will be 2.800

Lee's book says starting load says 42.0 and max is 46.0

I have read from other's that they get good results at 43.5 but they mentioned they have a 1:12 twist with 24" barrel

What load has anyone been using on the Hog Hunter 20" 1:10 twist ???

Is 44.0 pushing it even though max is listed at 46.0 ??

I will ladder test in small increments starting at 42.0 but I don't want to push too far if nobody has been getting good results with the combo I'm using compared to other people's results that I've read about.

I'm shooting paper only at 100 yards to compare with great results that I got using Federal GMM.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Flipco; 09-04-2015 at 01:06 AM.

Basic Member
    Only you will know the answers to your questions as Varget is bad about lot to lot differences and you will have to work up a new load everytime you buy a new batch of powder unless it is minute of deer/hog you are looking for.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Team Savage
    My HH with factory 20" barrel and muzzle brake has a accuracy node between 43.2 and 43.7 gr RL 15. Pet load is 43.5 grains of RL 15 with 168 gr AMAX bullets just touching the lands or 0.20" off the lands. MV=2653. Lapua brass and BR primers.

Earl is spot on.
    Hodgdon only lists a caution about 10%, so believe that the Lots of powder CAN vary that widely.
    The only way to reasonably watch Pressure, short of using a Pressure Trace, is the velocity.

Beyond that, if it is in a manual, it is a safety bet there is some very fine accuracy to be had. Can't ask anyone besides yourself what your wife likes, same with a rifle.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Every canister of Varget I have ever used can produce tight groups with 168 tangent ogive bullets in the 41-42 range and in the 44.5 to 45.5. There may be accuracy in between there but I dont use it. The lower weight recipe is for short range trigger time and the latter is for 600 yards and out. Start low. Load three rounds for every .4grains and go see what happens at 200 yards. There are better(more scientific) ways but that is a good start for the average hand loader.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    This is interesting to me because I'm getting 100 fps slower with 44.2 gr of RL-15 using Winchester brass and Federal 210 primers using the 168 Amax in the same gun (but without the brake).

Team Savage
    I'm enjoying fantastic results with Sierra 180 grain Gamekings, Remington brass and primers, and IMR4064.

Varget is a great alternative to 4064.

Flipco

Reload Update

So I finally got the chance to reload some rounds last week and got out to the range today to test them out.....This is my very first time at reloading after a month of studying how it is all done so I didn't know what to expect with results and forgive me if my description of it all doesn't sound normal speaking...I'm still learning.

I loaded Varget at 42.0 / 42.5 / 43.0 / 43.5 in mixed brass with Hornady 168 Amax and Winchester primers.

Brass was sized 2.005 using Lee Full Length Sizing Die with end COL at 2.800

Upon setting up on the bench at the range, I had to wait a few minutes before I can go down range to place my target. So I shot my first 42.0 grain rounds at whatever target was left up by previous shooter. I couldn't tell exactly where my shots where going since there was so many shots already on old target but I at least got to make sure my first set of reloads were firing ok.

On to my fresh clean target I got to put up.....Shots will be with the Varget loads of 42.5 / 43.0 / 43.5

This is the 5 shot group with 42.5 gr Varget.....I was off point of aim but groups looked good.

This is 3 shot group with 43.0 gr Varget......These were shot after I adjusted my scope to zero it out for point of aim. I only had 3 rounds available for this load as the other 2 didn't look right to shoot.

This is 4 shots with 43.5 gr Varget.....Doesn't look good. I only shot 4 rounds as 1 didn't look right to shoot......Better safe then sorry for my first time reloading and testing them out.

For all the loads, I was using data from Lee's 2nd edition book which starting load was 42.0 and max was 46.0 for 168 bullet but then that data is based off of longer barrel and different twist rate......From what I experienced so far, I believe I should be at 42.5 - 43.0 or maybe even less than that. A friend just sent me a snap shot load data from Hornady book and starts are at 35.5 - 42.7 for 168 gr Amax and Varget.

Overall, I think I did pretty good for my first time reloading?!?!
    Last edited by Flipco; 09-15-2015 at 12:58 PM.

43 it is. there is another node near or above 44, but why have more recoil.

Team Savage
    +1. It looks like 43 gr is in the node for your rifle. Now go 0.1 to 0.3 gr above and below to confirm and fine tune. Nice shooting.

Flipco
    Thanks!!........I didn't know that an increase in grains as much as 0.5 would make much separation in the group or is it possible because when it was time to shoot 43.5, my barrel was already warmed up and dirty from the previous rounds?....I'm not sure if barrel temp makes a difference?....Between all shots, I was giving a minute until I fired the next round since I was inspecting each casing after each shot.

I'm shooting a hog Hunter with 150gr Hornady SPBT with Varget powder, and I'm fixing to start trying to find a good load for it

start at 44.5 grains of varget. You should start seen the group tighten around 45.5-46 with the 150. That is hot but accurate to any distance you would feel comfortable. I would use the pro hunter though and start about a grain lower.

Thanks I'll try that. I've got some cci 200 primers with Winchester and Hornady brass

Quote Originally Posted by Flipco View Post
    Thanks!!........I didn't know that an increase in grains as much as 0.5 would make much separation in the group or is it possible because when it was time to shoot 43.5, my barrel was already warmed up and dirty from the previous rounds?....I'm not sure if barrel temp makes a difference?....Between all shots, I was giving a minute until I fired the next round since I was inspecting each casing after each shot.
    .5 grain splits are standard for OCW work-ups.

Yes barrel heat plays a very large part in pressures, it's called heat-sink, or "cooking" the rounds.

I think a little clarity is needed as this talk of "start at X grains" and "hot loads for X yards and beyond" are wrong, and not helpful to a new reloader.
    Unless you use a Pressure Trace, you don't know where your powders burning rate compares to the book data. So simply using A amount from a book, or some online poster; you should NOT expect the same results. Velocities, and thus accuracy nodes will not be the same, nor will pressures.
    Anyone who tells you that you have to have a "Hot" load to make distance, is flat wrong. I have posted about bullets that do and don't cross trans-sonic. Also shown that reduced loads are every bit as accurate at 1,000 as anything. If you don't call wind well, then I understand cheating it, by pounding out velocity. But to say you need it, is incorrect.

Watch your velocities compared to book data, REGARDLESS of the charge weight. Book data uses SAAMI minimum spec equipment, your mass produced rifle isn't that tight. So at equal pressures, your velocity will be slightly slower. If you are "faster" than book data, it's due to powder burning rate differences and you have higher Pressure.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    You are fortunate to find a load. There are other things normally you have to take in consideration.... You said you had mixed brass. By the sound of the charge weights, you probably used commercial brass. Military brass (LC, WCC,etc.) are usually thicker so your capacity would be lower.... Even different brands of commercial brass will vary. If you can go with one particular brand, it would be beneficial to you. You will get different results with primers as you also will how far you set the bullet from the lands...Welcome to the crazy world of reloading...it can/will drive you bananas and can be very rewarding. I'ts awesome when you find the right combination... The rifle comes to life!!!

Flipco
    Quote Originally Posted by concretus View Post
    You are fortunate to find a load. There are other things normally you have to take in consideration.... You said you had mixed brass.
    Yes I was using mixed brass from Federal Gold Medal, Winchester X and a cheap ammo from walmart called Perfecta.....I did not know that the brass makes a difference but now I will separate the brass I have which isn't much right now.....Thanks!!

birdmove
    I'll put up a youtube video with a gent testing some handloads and some factory ammo in .308. Don't know the gent, but I believe it is a very helpful video, that might help some Hog Hunter owners save some time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9PM...XuWGhIJj4kfUOw

Its worth a look at. He comes up with at least two very good handloads, and a great factory load. I saved it because I'm considering an Axis in various calibers. In his gun, the Remington factory ammo is so good, I'd buy 3-4 boxes of that, and then use the empties to roll my own.

Team Savage
    To go along with darkker's comment, my .308 Hog Hunter shows signs of high pressure way before book max - using three different powders and three different scales.

Read the information in the front of any reloading manual, understand the terms, and be able to recognize the warning signs of high pressures.

My two 26" savages like the 43.5 grain charge. I also load for a 20" Howa .308 and the Varget charge it likes is 44.4 I seriously doubt that would be pushing it in your rifle but if you start @ 42 and go up .5 at a time you'll be fine.

With my Hog Hunter, Boyds stock pillared, Nikon Buckmasters MilDot scope (discontinued model)I'm getting ~ 1/4" (.1130" and .2535" as measured) 3 shot groups consistently with Hornady 155 Gn. AMAX, 44.0 Gn. Varget, Lapua brass and COAL of 2.800"

The only other bullet I've developed a load for was the Speer 130 Gn. HP, using 44.5 Gn. H335, same brass and a COAL of 2.615" yielded .2975" 3 shot group. Temps ranged between 42-48 degrees F- I've yet to get out in warner weather with my Hog Hunter.

I love this stuff!

Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!