Thread: 1st Glass Bedding job...

Basic Member

1st Glass Bedding job...

Wasn't really satisfied with the results I was getting with my 260 Remington so I had to try something to make it better... Like my Dad always says, "If you keep doin' what ya been doin', your gonna keep get'n what you been get'n..." I went with Devcon and used Kiwi Neutral shoe polish as a release agent. I did apply a bit of powder graphite to the action after the kiwi polish just before I set it. Modeling clay to cover up and block with.. Pretty tense moments while I waited to see if I had stuck my mess in the stock... LOL... I learned several things that I'll do different next time I try one...

Looks great. You've got bigger balls than I do though. I stuff paper or cardboard into the action and block off both the bottom and the ejection ports with clay so I don't even give it a chance to be able to lock over in there. Haha

Great looking bedding job though, especially for your first! Congrats on a job well done!

Basic Member
    I was lucky there.. That was one of the lessons learned also... I got most of it out of that area about an hour after I set it but I had some cleaning to do inside the action after I was done which was kind of a PITA... I really need this thing to tighten up the groups at least 1/4 moa or better...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowtownup View Post
    I got most of it out of that area about an hour after I set it but I had some cleaning to do inside the action after I was done which was kind of a PITA...
    Next time mix a little vegetable oil in the clay. It will still stay put, the goop won't stick to it and will tons easier to remove. Oh , and another old trick. Cut and shape a piece of styrofoam to fit into the mag well the top of it maybe a 1/8" below the well inlet then cover it with the clay, plumbers putty or whatever.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Thanks for that insight BillPa... I'll log that in the memory bank...

Basic Member
    I'm jelly. I kind of wish I would have picked up a laminate stock so I could try a bed job. Picture number 4 got a little scary but the whole thing turned out nice.

Basic Member
    looks like you did a good job. I'm trying to work up the courage to do my first bedding job.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkTC View Post
    looks like you did a good job. I'm trying to work up the courage to do my first bedding job.
    X2, going to try it on my Marlin X7VH 223 at some point.

Nice work, hopefully you get the results you are looking for.

Basic Member
    Yours turned out better than mine. I didn't use enough bedding compound. I'm going to have to go back and grind it down some and rebel the areas that didn't get covered.