Thread: Nosler 30

Basic Member

Nosler 30

Looks like Nosler just released the Nosler 30. They say they took the best parts of the 300 RUM, WM & Wtrby. Looks like beltless, and same length as a WM, advertised as a 210gr @ 3000fps. Anyone have thoughts or know anymore about it?

Basic Member
    I am interested to see more on this round also. I know that the 28 Nosler really has my attention.

Basic Member
    300wm length sounds like a wildcat dream come true.

Nosler took the 404 Jeffery case, and made the 26 Nosler. 95% of their marketing BS about it's ballistics were a flat lie, but it is an interesting cartridge. They then noticed that lots of wildcatters were necking it up to use the Berger 195gr E.H. bullet; So they jumped on board. Now they took another step and have a 30-cal.

All of these offerings are built around the notion of those who get moist about ultimate speed, or those who hunt at extreme distances. Not really much different than the Dakota line of cartridges, just has a bit better timing IMO.

I'm not personally interested in any of them, but because of the BS marketing machine I'm a bit against them. When Nosler launched the 26 originally all the trajectory and ballistic data they compared it to, flew directly in the face of their OWN data in their OWN manuals. That really bothers me. Personally I also don't understand why they continue to post single digit G1 BC numbers, ESPECIALLY for the types of projectiles these cartridges take advantage of. I do like shooting Nosler bullets, but they really need to get their head in the game.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    I have to agree the numbers don't add up to bring much.

The 28 interests me but cost to get there doesn't. Which sux because the case capacity would be perfect for economical surplus powders like wc857.

The 30 should easily and efficiently use all the capacity. I'd expect it to be the most successful of the line.

I'm building a 28 Nosler soon. My reamer showed up last week.

The way I see it, Nosler completed what the 375 Ruger almost did. Maximize the length and diameter so that it fits and feeds in a standard long action. Nosler was also smart enough to send all the standard chamber calibers to SAAMI. Ruger/Hornady fell short here too.

Brass price is the toughest pill to swallow. I don't know if I want to pay the $60 per 25, or make some from some extra 7mmRUM that I have.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Nosler really screwed the pooch with the 30 Nosler when they submitted their specs to SAAMI. The base to shoulder dimension is shorter than either the 26 or 28, which will require some heavy machinery to resize. Or you can buy their special 30 Nosler brass.
    Dave Kiff has all the specs and has been producing readers that allow the use of standard 26 or 28 Nosler brass for those building a 30.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I would suspect that is due to the intended bullet to be used. If they left it long, then you couldn't use the heavies from a standard length action.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Probably the same dumb thinking when Remington made the 338 RUM shorter than the rest.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

The base to shoulder dimension is .050 shorter than the 26 and 28.
    Theres a full write-up on the trials and tribulations here:
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-308-a-145964/
    it starts on about page 3
    Less water capacity than a 300 Weatherby, more efficient case design. It has its benefits, but I'm not equipped to bump the shoulder back .050. There are work-arounds.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways