Thread: CED M2 Chronograph

bdz65

Question CED M2 Chronograph

Anyone have experience with the CED M2 chronograph?

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    That one was my 3rd choice based on reviews for 2 different vendors. Looked like too many "no likey's" compared to "me likey-likey" on the use, reliability, shooting / weather conditions, etc.

I opted for the Chrony Beta Master (not Master Beta) instead. I find its rather easy to use especially for us technologically challenged guys. If you do get it, make sure you post up some info on it. I'm looking for a 2nd unit to leave at our other place.

Don't forget a good tripod that you can hang some weight on the bottom. Muzzle blast can be detrimental to it's well being.
    Don't ask me how I know that....
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

bdz65
    I bought the M2 last summer. It worked great during the summer months. Now since Late October I struggle with reliable readings. I am sure lighting conditions are my issue, just looking for others with similar experience and possible ideas to improve my results.

Basic Member
    No experience with the chrony you're talking about, but I''ve had great luck with my MagnetoSpeed V3 from .243 all the way up to my .338. Reliable readings in any weather conditions, super easy setup and usage, and sifting through your data is super easy because it can be dropped directly into Excel... Not sure what else you could ask for.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

bdz65
    You may have made a better purchase decsion than I did. My goal now is to make my chronograph reliable in the real world lighting conditions I have to deal with, most of the time.

LongRange
    if its over cast shoot without the sun shades on...if the sun is pretty much straight over head shoot with the shades on if the sun is coming in at an angle try putting it in a box with a cut out in the top of the box with and without the shades...the sun coming in at an angle is what causes the most problems.

bdz65
    I have seen sun angle be a problem. I cannot get reliability on overcast days with the shades off. Where I live we have a lot of overcast days.

LongRange
    and your not going to get reliability with the shades on on over cast days...they do make lighting for the chronys but at that point youd most likely be into it as much as a magneto speed sporter model...the sporter works the same as the V3 but without all the bells and whistles....and worth every penny of $180 bucks because weather does not effect it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdz65 View Post
    I have seen sun angle be a problem. I cannot get reliability on overcast days with the shades off. Where I live we have a lot of overcast days.
    More like doomy gloomy days than just simply overcast. lol
    Ive tried the box idea on the chrony, Id reccomend just shoot the thing and buy a magneto speed.
    For me that would be more satisfying than selling it for 50 bucks.

bdz65
    I was really pleased with this thing when I got this summer, I just did not expect such difficulties when clouds rolled in. Well I am going to try to make my own LED sky screen lights. For some reason I always feel challenged to DIY this kind of stuff.

bdz65
    My LED light strips came tonight. I soldered the wire harnesses up and taped the strips above my chronograph's sky screens. I set up the chronograph in the living room, turned out the lights and turned on the LED's. Seems to work well with spit balls from a straw. I can fire a spit ball anywhere from 65 FPS to 101 FPS. I am anxious to try bullets this weekend, sure hope I have crappy lighting conditions.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by bdz65 View Post
    My LED light strips came tonight. I soldered the wire harnesses up and taped the strips above my chronograph's sky screens. I set up the chronograph in the living room, turned out the lights and turned on the LED's. Seems to work well with spit balls from a straw. I can fire a spit ball anywhere from 65 FPS to 101 FPS. I am anxious to try bullets this weekend, sure hope I have crappy lighting conditions.
    man you have a set of lungs...id be lucky to get one through the chrony without blowing a lung out with it LOL!!

take a box that the unit will fit in with you...if the sun is out and coming in at an angle it MAY still not give good readings...keep us posted im curious to hear how the LEDs work out.

After selling my Beta Chrony to a friend to get him started reloading/shooting, I invested in a Prochrono and am quite pleased with it. I've had zero problems with it in sun, shade or very over cast days. Set up is really easy too.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

bdz65
    I tried my LED lights on Saturday, heavily overcast. The LED's worked with 40 S&W pistol, but would not work with 223 rifle. Returned to the range on Sunday, partly sunny. I had a difficult time at first, could not read pistol with or without the sky screens, never did try the LED'a. Finally when the sun came out I observed that sunlight was low to the left front side of the chronograph and was directly striking the sensor slots. I rotated the sensors so the sunlight was more perpendicular to the sky screens with the slots in the shadow of the sky screens and when the sun was out I had no problems reading 223 @ 3000 FPS. I have now ordered the CED M2 IR light kit, hoping this will improve my situation.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    After selling my Beta Chrony to a friend to get him started reloading/shooting, I invested in a Prochrono and am quite pleased with it. I've had zero problems with it in sun, shade or very over cast days. Set up is really easy too.
    ^ I use this one also with good results. Got to make sure the battery is good as it seems to use a lot of power. If I have a problem with it the first thing I do is change the battery. Sunny = sun shade, overcast = sun shade, no sun shade doesn't matter. I just hate setting it up!
    Someday I'll get a magneto speed.

bdz65
    Well I took the CED out this weekend armed with new IR sky screens. I also made a set of foam shields to block the low sun from the sensor slots. After verifying operation with my 22LR, I fired 20 shots with my 223 ranging from 2980 - 3280 fps. Only missed two shots, the IR sky screens made a drastic improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    ^ I use this one also with good results. Got to make sure the battery is good as it seems to use a lot of power. If I have a problem with it the first thing I do is change the battery. Sunny = sun shade, overcast = sun shade, no sun shade doesn't matter. I just hate setting it up!
    Someday I'll get a magneto speed.
    +1 on using a strong battery. I keep two extras in the box with mine and change batteries after the third range use. I don't mind the set up, much faster than my Beta Chrony was, I hated having to run the cord to the read out box and having to make sure no coils overlapped anywhere or I would get faulty readings.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67