Thread: Magazine for the axis

Basic Member

Magazine for the axis

Hi folks, I am thinking about getting either a 22-250 or a 243 axis.

If I do, it would be a possible switch barrel down the road.

When I looked up the cost of getting spare magazines, I noticed that the 22-250 is its own magazine, but the 243, 308, and 7/08 are all in one magazine configuration.

My question is this:

If I got the 243 platform, and decided to change it to a 22-250, would the 22-250 magazine fit into the original 243 stock?

Or vice versa, if I got the 22-250 and switched the barrel to a 243, would the original 22-250 stock accept a 243 magazine?

Is the axis stock magazine specific?
    Hunt hard, shoot straight, drink GOOD beer!

Basic Member
    Just buy a gun in each caliber.....it will cost less in the long run.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Just buy a gun in each caliber.....it will cost less in the long run.
    That's the 2nd or 3rd time I've noticed you recommend buying one in each caliber. I'm starting to think maybe perhaps you've taken a part time gig as regional sales exec or something....

Fact of the matter, you're right. It'll never stop at one.
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 01-20-2016 at 08:21 AM.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Hey sharpshooter, since you have been around here 2006 and I have been around since 2007, I take it that neither you nor I have fully taken advantage of that advice. :-)

The axis platform is new to me. If someone can answer my question(s) it would be very helpful.

I trolled the forum and I could not find the answer I am looking for but I am sure my question has been asked before. A link to the question/answer would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thank you barrel nut brotherhood. :-)

Basic Member
    To answer your question, the two magazines will work in the same platform. THe only difference between the two rifles is the barrel and the mag.

However, I, too, think it would be a whole lot easier and pretty much the same cost to just get two rifles. Why pay $100-300 for a second barrel to switch back and forth with when a whole new gun, dedicated to a specific cartridge can be had for that price, especially when you consider the hassle of switching and re-doping your scope each time you do so? In short, setting up an Axis as a switch barrel is kind of a good example of "false economy".

Basic Member
    As I recall, the Axis 308 7mm-08, 243 are the same. The 22-250 has feed lips about 3/8" longer (recalling from memory, after schnozola surgery Tuesday morning, in orbit from medication - I think I have that right) but the basic body dimensions and latch and everything else is the same. You can snap a 22-250 mag in a .308 and it'll work.

I found the 22-250 mag was a little more user friendly and feeds more reliable than the .243 & up.

So, to summarize:
    It's the same only different....
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 01-20-2016 at 08:23 AM.

Basic Member
    To all, thank you, and greatly appreciated.

Fgw_in_fla, hope you feel better soon!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allgrainbeer View Post
    To all, thank you, and greatly appreciated.

Fgw_in_fla, hope you feel better soon!
    You're welcome.
    And, trying to. Did ya ever notice if you have an injury or some sort of boo-boo you'll always smack it or bump it continuously throughout the day?

Hit the rack at 0300 or so. Rolled over and whopped myself in the mug. Still bleeding. I could hear my very unsympathetic wife snickering every time I grumbled about it.

I think this will be a good day to lock myself in the house so I don't hurt myself. Or is it too late for that?...

Basic Member
    kick the wife out and have a day alone :)

the .223 mag also snaps right into my 22-250 rifle

Basic Member
    Yes. ALL Axis short action mags will fit into an Axis short action stock. Likewise, ALL Axis long action mags will fit into Axis Long action stocks.

The mags will fit. The only other consideration is whether the bolt face is correct for the cartridge you choose. Even then, the stock is the same.

So, if going from 22-250 to .308, all you need to do is switch the barrel and mag. (all else is the same).
    If going from .223 to .308, you need to change bolt face, barrel and mag. (bolt face is different).

Basic Member
    Thank you

Basic Member
    I hate to go though all that work changing one over when, IF you watch and catch a good deal you can just pick up another rifle in the caliber you want :) got my new Axis 22-250 HB for $217 after the $50 rebate

Basic Member
    I currently have a .22-250 barrel on a gun that came from the factory as a 7-08. To get the .22-250 to feed I have to make sure the cartridges are seated at the front of the mag or they will nosedive on feeding and hit the bottom face of the barrel. This is a model 11 with internal mag box. I plan on getting a .250 Savage mag box and swapping out with the season. It will be a .22-250 for 9 months and a .250 for three months. Unless I find a deal on a .22-250. Grin