Thread: Match ammo

Match ammo

Any try any store bought match ammo

Basic Member
    .308 Seirra MatchKing Gold Medal Match does pretty well. 168 grn or 175 grn. I can get 1/2 - 1 MOA with my Savage 10P depending on day.

Vanilla Gorilla
    I am with Russmerle on the FGGM. Also heard that Black Hills Gold is some good ammo too. I would also recommend Nosler Match ammo. Sometimes you can find it on sale at www.shootersproshop.com so that would be the first place i would look for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Any try any store bought match ammo
    Unless you need the brass, factory ammo is Sacrilege
    Can be great, can be just another box. All about where the tollerances of mass produced rifles fall, compared to mass produced ammo.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    I have a hard time significantly improving FGMM with hand loads.

I've had very good luck with Eagle Eye 175gr through my Hog Hunter .308. As good or better than FGGM, leaning more towards the better side.

Basic Member
    The only way I have improved on it was to duplicate it first, then play with the OAL to fine tune it to my rifle. I was able to do this using a Hornady match bullet too, which saved me some money on the bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by nso123 View Post
    The only way I have improved on it was to duplicate it first,.
    Copy the velocity you mean. Duplicating it is impossible, they don't use canister-grade powder, nor load by weight.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Copy the velocity you mean. Duplicating it is impossible, they don't use canister-grade powder, nor load by weight.
    Dark,

I saw you mention in another thread that you haven't weighed a charge in years, and that you load by volume. This piqued my interest. I guess I'm just imagining that you throw charges? Or is there another way? Would you mind elaborating?
    Some people want to make a difference in the world. I'm just here to howl at the moon.

No problem at all.

Yes I throw charges in CC's, but don't do it for a weight only to get a specific volume.
    What I do is when I get a new keg of powder, I'll take a VMD measurement on it. So for me what this means is that I will throw a fixed volume, say 3 CC's. I weigh each one and take an average, and do some math. So for example, If:
    3 cc = 45gr. 3cc/45gr = VMD is 0.066666 gr/cc.
    This gives me a way to approximate, not a direct translation, to loading data where the manuals only list charge weights.

Remember that all powders have a variance in BD, that is why a consistent volume cannot ever give an exact weight. At least with a consistent volume your case fill will never move and fool with burning rates further. This will also provide a consistent BR with extruded powder, since it's BR is directly tied to it's BD.
    The only folks who will actually list nominal powder variations in VMD, BD, BR, is the powders that Western sells. That is why I do my own VMD calculations, otherwise you don't know what you are working with.

Basic Member
    No problem at all.

Yes I throw charges in CC's, but don't do it for a weight only to get a specific volume.
    What I do is when I get a new keg of powder, I'll take a VMD measurement on it. So for me what this means is that I will throw a fixed volume, say 3 CC's. I weigh each one and take an average, and do some math. So for example, If:
    3 cc = 45gr. 3cc/45gr = VMD is 0.066666 gr/cc.
    This gives me a way to approximate, not a direct translation, to loading data where the manuals only list charge weights.

Remember that all powders have a variance in BD, that is why a consistent volume cannot ever give an exact weight. At least with a consistent volume your case fill will never move and fool with burning rates further. This will also provide a consistent BR with extruded powder, since it's BR is directly tied to it's BD.
    The only folks who will actually list nominal powder variations in VMD, BD, BR, is the powders that Western sells. That is why I do my own VMD calculations, otherwise you don't know what you are working with.
    Interesting! This is new to me, but I'm a newb to reloading anyway. Would you say that your extreme spreads match and/or beat the conventional powder weighing method? Do you hunt, compete, or just plink with your method? Or all of the above?
    Some people want to make a difference in the world. I'm just here to howl at the moon.

Basic Member
    Actually, FGMM uses IMR 4064, so it is not really hard to duplicate. It is different than many rounds that use the proprietary powders.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nso123 View Post
    Actually, FGMM uses IMR 4064, so it is not really hard to duplicate. It is different than many rounds that use the proprietary powders.
    Can you post a link to this info?

Basic Member
    Dan Newberry did the figuring. Below is a link to his video. I can tell you that it has the exact same point of impact and velocity as FGMM out of a Rem 700 that I had chambered to fit a round of FGMM to the lands.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iDIu6Mivi-Y

Basic Member
    I just shot with Dan Saturday. Good times on the farm. 15 year old Forrest prob knows more about shooting than most members here.

When I was shooting factory loaded ammo I used Black Hills Match. It had a better consistency lot to lot than FGMM. But, I haven't shot any factory loaded stuff in about 10 years.

Basic Member
    I've tried FGMM, Winchester, and Hornaday match loads in my 223 Bolt gun. The only one that shot worth a S*** was the Hornaday Match 75gr. HPBT and it made overlapping holes at 100 yds. I haven't been able to match that performance with my handloads, but at least I know it's possible.