Thread: bought a scope, choosen a rifle, now how should I connect the two?

birdie61

bought a scope, choosen a rifle, now how should I connect the two?

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum, but I'm reading along for some time now. I looked for a rifle with a boxed magazine, some type of bedding in the stock, accutrigger seems to be nice, preferrably a long action, and of course a user switchable barrel/caliber is a great thing to have. Where I live there's a restriction on the number of firearms allowed.

You guys talked me into buying a 10 fcp-k in .308 ;D which I'm going to handle tomorroy at a dealer near here, the only thing I gave up on is the long action, but short action leaves me still plenty of alternatives. This weekend a Schmidt & Bender pmII 3-12x50 arrived, so that decision has already been made as well.

Trouble is, I'm still missing a scope-base and/or rings and the amount of possibilities confuses me somewhat. So I would value your knowledge on the following;

Should I go 0 or 20 moa on the scopebase? (gun will be for hunting but nothing over 300 meters)
    Should the scopebase be steel or aluminium (or doesn't it matter?)
    What brand/type scoperings would you use on the scope? (the s&b is 34mm)

Thank you in advance for your opinion.

Birdie61

Re: bought a scope, choosen a rifle, now how should I connect the two?

definitely a 0 MOA base. you will not be shooting far enough in a hunting situation to use a 20 and with the 20 you may not have enough internal adj to zero the scope at 100 yards or meters.

my personal preference is EGW bases and Burris signature rings. I have a few other designs also and the only one I would not use again is the Leupold QRs
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

sparky123321

Not the most expensive, but I've had very good luck with Warne rings. I've used most of the other more expensive brands numerous times in the past, but stick with Warne now. I've used them on everything up to a 300 WSM and never experienced any movement even after hundreds of rounds. I only use Ken Ferrell bases on my Savage actions. Can't imagine you're going to "need" 20 MOA bases for 300 meters. Depending on your setup(scope and barrel/action alignment) you may not have enough adjustment on your scope to zero your point of impact at closure ranges(say 100 yards). I ran into that once and had to switch to a 10 MOA base. Good luck with the new rifle.

McKinneyMike

Seekins base and mount is what I would use on a setup like this.

birdie61

Quote Originally Posted by birdie61
    ... a 10 fcp-k in .308 ;D which I'm going to handle tomorroy at a dealer near here,...
    Handled it, me like! and placed an order. Because the rifle is in Germany and I'm living in the Netherlands this will take a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your opinions on the base and the rings. I'll stick to 0moa for the base and wait for all components to arrive to see what height of rings I need.

For the base, is there a great difference is terms of accuracy between aluminium and steel?

regards,

Birdie61

Team Savage

Not that much for general shooting.
    Steel and alum have different expansion rates though.

I use alum to keep the weight down.

I like egw or farrel bases and Burris extreme rings.

308Savage_1000yds

I definitely wouldn't bother with any extra MOA, go with zero on the base as you are not shooting far enough before you'd possibly run out of scope. I had to make the same decision recently, take a look around the usual sources. Lots of choices but I personally went with the Murphy Precision bases and rings after reading some articles around the web, they can make you a custom base for whatever your application as well as they offer stainless, aluminium and titanium. If you wanted to have an extended scope base to offer more adjustment for eye relief, etc take that into consideration before buying. I went with a stainless for my rimfire and the titanium for my .308. Really happy with my purchase.

Putney

"It's better to have and not want than want and not have!"

that said i'd go with a Ken Ferrell 15moa base & Ken Ferrell rings also.
    That way you will be easily able to zero at 100yards and also engage targets at 1000yards.
    Ken Ferrell's products are "good to go"!

birdie61

Thanks guys for the replies. I have been very rude to never thank you for them.

In the mean time I have shot my first fox and later I missed two. It turned out the rings were loosened because I have been to frightened to tighten them enough. This is now fixed by a real gunsmith ;-)

birdie61