Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage 10 scout 7.62x39 pics.

Basic Member

Hopefully it is not too little too late in TN. Unlike the Asian Carp situation. . .

Well you have proved all if the naysayers wrong that count out the 7.62x39 and the Savage. It is a great platform and a great little cartridge!

BW

Team Savage
    That 7.62 scout with "just" a 20" barrel, 4x scope and tupperware stock has consistently produced the smallest groups I've ever shot, and I've never even handloaded for it. Best factory load my Savage .308 fired (22" barrel, Accustock and 4-12x scope) was Winchesters at .83" and the best handloads I've made up for that rifle were in the .6" range. The 7.62x39 scout shoots .8" with 50-round box Hornady steel case, and .5" with Winchester factory ammo. That's just ridiculous.

At least from my Savage scout, that 7.62x39 is no slouch at all. I hear the CZ's are shooters too. Maybe it's just an "inherently accurate" caliber. LOL. :D It does indicate just how bad (by comparison) the SKS and AK's shoot that round though. Reminds me of what my old Mini-14 does to the accuracy of a .223 round. If that was the only rifle you knew, of course you'd think the .223 was not an accurate round.

Inebriated
    Looks great man, and that's a big ol' pig!

Team Savage
    Yea, she was full of little pigs. When I poked her with my boot, she just rolled around like she was filled with jelly. LOL. Nasty buggars.

Now that I have the form factor settled and the action cycling the way I want, the last thing to do is figure out a higher cap. magazine for her. I don't need 10 rounds, but 6 or 7 would be darn nice when the pigs start scrambling! A couple of 6-7 round magazines in my pocket would be pretty nice too.

Basic Member
    There was a guy on here that did 223 mags, wonder if he'd do a 7.62x39? He might show you how to make one yourself.

BW

Inebriated
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    Yea, she was full of little pigs. When I poked her with my boot, she just rolled around like she was filled with jelly. LOL. Nasty buggars.

Now that I have the form factor settled and the action cycling the way I want, the last thing to do is figure out a higher cap. magazine for her. I don't need 10 rounds, but 6 or 7 would be darn nice when the pigs start scrambling! A couple of 6-7 round magazines in my pocket would be pretty nice too.
    That is disgusting lol...

As for mags, I have no idea if you can get a stock designed for AR mags, but if you can, you can get 10 round AR Stoner 7.62x39 mags.

Team Savage
    BW, that's exactly what I need! I see the .223 mag. also has the block at the back like my 7.62x39 does! So if nothing else, I can get some spare .223 mags and modify them. Sweet.

Inebriated - that's another good idea. Thanks. I'll look into that. There have been two or three occasions when I just needed more bullets! Nothing I hate worse than letting pigs get away.

Inebriated
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    BW, that's exactly what I need! I see the .223 mag. also has the block at the back like my 7.62x39 does! So if nothing else, I can get some spare .223 mags and modify them. Sweet.

Inebriated - that's another good idea. Thanks. I'll look into that. There have been two or three occasions when I just needed more bullets! Nothing I hate worse than letting pigs get away.
    Shoulda brought an AK :D

Team Savage
    More like a shotgun. LOL

Very nice. Stainless and walnut is a great look. I want to get a Savage American Classic Stainless/walnut some time in maybe a .243 . I have an RSI in .308. Blue and walnut. Great little deer gun. They have very thin and short barrels so you can only shoot a few rounds and then let them cool before shooting again. Makes them slow to sight in. Contributes to the reputation that the RSI's are not very accurate. I long for one in 6.5x55 Sweed. I have emailed Ruger a bunch of times telling them to offer limited runs of the 77 RSI like they do in the #1's. Wouldn't you like to see one in 7.62x39? Enough about Rugers (my second favorite gun maker after Savage) after all this is a Savage shooters site. (:

Basic Member
    Currently there are 2 model 14 walnut stocks on numrich. One looks real nice. Both are about $135

Team Savage
    Thanks for the heads-up. Those do look like a great stock for the money.

And Maine-iac, a Ruger RSI in 7.62x39 would be ideal, as would a full length stock in a CZ 527 in the same caliber. Folks have been asking for it, but I've yet to see one.

Basic Member
    I like the fit and finish on the CZ rifles and their stocks but I just cannot stand the way that the magazine but up to the trigger like it does.
    That's honestly the reason why I'm building a 7.62x39 rifle instead of just buying a CZ

Team Savage
    I understand. I would love to own a 527 someday, but there were some things about it I didn't care for as well, like the mag extending below the stock, and the weird scope rings.

Nice to have one in a conventional action with ample accessories.

Basic Member
    I'd still buy a 527 .22 though

Because the CZ is sooo light and handy the magazine really does not interfere at all. I kind of like the looks of it but everyone has different taste and appreciation for it. There are after market 3 round flush magazines available for the CZ. One in the chamber and three down is plenty for hunting. I am surprised Ruger does not chamber the 7.62x39 in the American and Savage in the Axis.

Basic Member
    I am too. I've noticed that in the past couple months since I've started looking to build mine I've been noticing more and more attention to the 7.62x39 bolt gun. I'm real surprised Savage dropped their Scout but it was expensive for what it is

Team Savage
    Yes, it was expensive for what it is, but I'm still not letting go of mine. :D I balked a little at the price when I bought it. It didn't need the Accustock, or the real metal bottom metal. All those did was weigh down an otherwise handy rifle with a 20" barrel. After stripping those and the iron sights off, I got it down to what a scout rifle should be - about 6 lbs. pre-scope. It's still under 7 lbs. with the 4x scout scope. If I put the iron sights back on, it would be right at 7 lbs.

Ruger and Savage seem to be done with the venerable 7.62x39 caliber. Maybe they see it as outdated. I dunno. Maybe too many associate the round with the SKS/AK and their poor accuracy. Maybe they just think they can sell more rifles in a "newer" caliber like the .300 BO or 6.5 Creedmoor? Who knows. But a Ruger American Ranch in a 7.62x39 for about $400 would be a heluva rifle. So would a Savage Axis in a short action and 18-20" barrel.

Now that I've owned, shot and hunted with one for a while, I am prepared to declare the 7.62x39 the ideal deer and hog hunting caliber for women and youth, and anyone who doesn't enjoy getting kicked by their rifle any harder than they have to. Mine kicks less than my daughter's .243 that she has used with great effect, only she doesn't want to shoot her rifle very much because of the recoil. Had I started her on a 7.62x39, that might not be the case, and the deer she's shot (all within 100 yards) would still be just as dead.

Basic Member
    This is my dedicated hunting rifle right now it's a 110e in 270win. The x39 will not be a replacement but it will definitely be a nice alternative for me. And tons cheaper and more pleasant to shoot. Honestly if they made an Axis in 7.62x39 I probably would have bought that.
    Last edited by futurerider103; 02-09-2016 at 10:58 AM.

Team Savage
    Beautiful stock alright.

When I bought my model 11 in .308, I figured that would be the only bolt-action hunting rifle I'd ever need. Then after carrying it all day for a few weekend hunts (I rifle hunt on my feet and typically cover a lot of ground in a day) I soon realized I wanted a lighter woods rifle. And in most cases, a 200-yard gun was more than enough. There are very few places where I hunt that you can even see more than 200 yards.

The difference between a 6 3/4 lb. rifle you can carry by the action and 8 lb. rifle with a conventional scope is literally night and day on hunts like this. By the end of the season, I carried my 7.62x39 lightweight scout on several hunts and hardly noticed it was there. I've drug it through brush (literally on my hands and knees) after pigs, and shot it from a lot of positions. All I can say is it really grew on me the more I used it.

Basic Member
    My .270 weighs in right at 7.5lbs loaded out with ammo and sling. Primarily I sit in a tree or 2 and don't travel more than 2mi

Basic Member
    Futurerider
    Where did you get that beautiful stock!

BW

Basic Member
    Came from savage with it but slightly uglier. Few hours of sanding and a little stain and it turned out nice. Not to bad for a $130 gun $250 with the Leupold VX 2
    Last edited by futurerider103; 02-09-2016 at 12:03 PM.

I certainly hope you have better luck regarding accuracy from your RSI than I had with mine in 30-06. No matter what I tried, different factory loads, hand loads with different bullet weights, I never could get mine to group better than 2.5" at 100 yards. At 200 and 300 yards it was a joke. I finally sold it in disgust. Sad, was a fine looking rifle to be so inaccurate.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Team Savage
    Thanks. It's a finicky beast alright. After free floating the barrel completely, I can usually get 2", 3-shot groups, but they are always in a vertical line. That barrel is just so whippy that any heat at all and it completely changes POI.

I was thinking about putting the barreled action in another stock anyway - to preserve that pretty full length walnut stock - so I bought a Hogue pillar bedded stock just to experiment with. Same results when free floated as the free-floated walnut full-length stock ( no real surprise ) but then I took a folded piece of neoprene that I cut from an old set of waders, and put it under the barrel, giving it some upward and side-to-side pressure inside the stock.

BAM! .75" group! LOL. All three holes were nearly touching. First time I have seen that from that particular gun.

I cut some pieces to length that could stay in that stock permanently if I want them to, then shot some more groups. Some were again in that 1" territory. I was playing with loads and bullets and seating depth, so I had a lot of variables to consider, but this weekend I'm going to try putting some neoprene shims under the end cap of that factory full length stock and see what happens. From what I can tell, it helps.

I'm not happy with that Hogue stock (love the feel but it's way too heavy) so I'm going to get a Ruger factory plastic stock and shim it, then see what happens. Shimming the walnut stock in any way doesn't make sense to me, since that wood is going to change POI with changes in the weather. But the plastic stock has a chance to hold zero, so it's worth a shot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12