Thread: Savage 10 scout 7.62x39 pics.

Team Savage

Savage 10 scout 7.62x39 pics.

Let me see if this works...

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Team Savage
    Sorry it took so long to figure out the photobucket thing, but here are the pictures I promised on the other thread. To say I'm thrilled with this rifle project would be an understatement. I had high hopes for the gun, but really had no idea how accurate it would be, esp with "just" a 4x scout scope, or how lightweight and handy it would be when I dropped the iron sights, replaced the oversized bolt handle, and put it in a tupperware stock.

As pictured, that gun is 6 lbs. 12 oz. with the sling and loaded magazine. A joy to carry and point, and the 20" barrel is perfect for balance, accuracy and getting in and out of a truck.

So far, the rifle has accounted for 6 hogs and one whitetail buck along with a few varmints. Recoil is practically non-existant and ammo is everything from $26/box to $5/box and it all shoots pretty darn well.
    Last edited by Newtosavage; 01-18-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Team Savage
    The other day, I was wasting time at the range between groups from my .308, and shot a 10-shot group at 100 yards with the scout rifle, using three different kinds of ammo. Here is the result. 3 shots with Winchester 123-grain soft point "Hog Special," 4 shots with the Hornady 123-grain SST, and 3 shots with the cheap 154-grain TulAmmo soft points. The one "flier" was from the TulAmmo 154 grain, but as you can see, even it wasn't off by much.

Results at 200 yards are very similar, with the 154-grain TulAmmo impacting only about 1" lower than the 123-grain rounds. Anyone who thinks the 7.62x39 isn't an accurate round has probably never shot them from a good bolt action before.

Oh, and all three of these rounds mic'd at .310 bullet diameter. Despite having a .308" bore, the Savage handled them to perfection. Eventually I'll start handloading for this caliber, but with results like this from affordable ammo, it's kinda tough to justify.

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice! One of my all time favorite calibers. Now wouldn't that be a great little caliber in the lightweight hunter?

Team Savage
    Wow. That's actually a great idea.

What I have now is pretty close to a synthetic LWH, with the exceiption of the milled-out receiver. Otherwise it's the same stock, the same barrel profile, etc. Without the scope and scout rail, we're talking about a sub-6 lb. rifle with a 20" barrel. Not far off the LWH I'd think.

Basic Member
    Mighty fine shooting there! Great looking little rig!

BW

Team Savage
    Thanks!

acdieter
    Very nice! Which scope did you go with? Which stock? (and might you be interested in parting with the accustock that was on it originally...?)

Team Savage
    I have had a Weaver 4X scout scope on my Win. M94 (in a vintage Leupold scout mount) for a few years, but I never really liked that rifle in a scout configuration. I think with the the magazine tube under the barrel, it was already a little nose heavy, and the scout scope just put it over the top. Anyway, that is a great scope. A lot of scout rifle shooters have forgone the Leupold and Burris 2.5 and 2.75x and embraced the 4X Weaver. It is super, super lightweight. I think mine is under 9 ounces. Crazy light. And super bright too. I have no problem shooting 300 yards with it, despite just being 4x. Do it all the time in fact, and can easily hold all the rounds on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper.

The stock is the "cheap" Tupperware I stole off my Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP. It is stupid light as well. And believe it or not, I can't tell one bit of difference in groups between that cheap plastic stock and the Accustock. Not one bit. So I figure why carry the extra lb. of weight?

The stocks on the scout and my .308 got swapped, so my 308 now wears the Accustock, the "real" bottom metal, and the enlarged "tactical" bolt handle from the scout. Those things added almost 2 lbs. to the weight of that rifle, but I mostly shoot that one at the range anyway, so all it did was reduce felt recoil. I do like the larger bolt handle, but don't care for the extra 2 ounces of weight it comes with.

I just picked up a once-in-a-lifetime rifle yesterday in 7x57 Mauser, and if it shoots even halfway decent, I think I may be putting my .308 up for sale. Not sure yet though. That .308 is a smooth and accurate gun. Oh, I also stole the "target" Accutrigger off the scout and put it on the .308 too. So now that gun has a 1 lb. 12 oz. trigger pull. I didn't need that on my hunting rifle. The Scout is right at 3 lbs. and I'm totally fine with that.

acdieter
    Well done. I aplaud all your choices! I hope you're able to swing both the keeping the .308 and your new 7x57 Mauser. 7x57 is one sweet caliber that doesn't get the respect I believe it deserves. 7mm has some of the sweetest ballistic coefficients and sectional densities out there. Combine that with a long-ish neck and still an ample boiler room, put them into a strong, modern action, and it is tough to beat imho.

Team Savage
    I think I will. I have enough rounds through my model 11 .308 now that I've grown to like it, and I know what it can do. And what it can do with my handloads is very impressive if I may say so. It's my "benchmark" rifle for 300 yards and beyond. I would not hesitate to take a 300 yard shot at a deer with the Savage .308. After shooting the Ruger 7 Mauser today, it's going to need some work to get it out to 300 for hunting accuracy. But if any rifle is worth it, that Ruger will be. I won't mind putting some sweat, time and money into that gun to get it out to 300.

That 7x57 is a sweet shooter. Just the right amount of recoil for a walking woods deer rifle IMO. Reminds me of my 30-30 actually. I look forward to hand loading it and seeing what that gun can do. Until then, it's worth admiring, and then some.

Team Savage
    Oh, and a UPDATE on the extractor issues...

My order came in today from Sharp Shooter Supply. I ordered their extractor/ejector upgrade kit ($25) and installed just the larger bearing and the new extractor just now. With the new bearing and extractor, it was throwing spent cases nicely. I have high hopes that the gun will now cycle perfectly with both brass and steel cases. I sure need it to. The hogs are bad this year and the failure to eject cost me a few just the other day!

7x57 ! Another one of my favorites. Lots of power with soft recoil. Tons of bullet options as well. I have a love affair with the its little brother the 7mm-08 but if you reload the 7x57 can do more with larger bullets. Newtosavage did you get an older 77 with a tang safety or a MKII with the safety up on the bolt? I have a couple Ruger 77MKII and the first thing you have to do is improve the trigger. Mine all get Timney triggers. The tang safety models can be worked by a gunsmith to get to a decent pull. That will improve your accuracy tremendously. Keep the 308. You will be talking to yourself later on if you sell it.

Team Savage
    Maine-iac, if I can get that 77 RSI to shoot decent groups, I have no doubt it will become my go-to deer rifle. I still can't get over what a great looking rifle that is.

The RSI I have is the Mk2 with the lever safety - something I'm already familiar with since I've owned a 77/50 muzzleloader for years now.

The first thing I did was improve the trigger. It was so easy. I just clipped one coil off the spring and viola! Pull went from an unbearable 6 lbs. to a lovely 2 lbs. 12 oz. just like that. That's all I needed to do, and now the trigger is great. All my hunting rifles are about 2 3/4 lbs. pull.

And I think I will keep the .308. I now have my short/medium/long range hunting arsenal. :D

The 7.62x39 will always be my go-to pig gun, loaded with the factory Hornady SST's or TulAmmo soft points. If I deer hunt with it (or my wife or daughter do) it will have the Winchester 123 grain soft points, but otherwise it's my budget/daily shooter. Max range for deer with it is 200 yards.

The 7x57 will be my personal deer rifle. Hope I can find a load that gives me good 300-yard hunting accuracy.

The .308 will be my long range hunting gun, out to 400+ yards, or if I ever decide to hunt elk with a rifle, that will be my elk gun. I have a Weaver K6 in the mail that will go on that rifle, and probably stay forever. That will bring the weight of that rifle to 7.5 lbs. as well, although I may still drop the Accustock and go back to a tupperware stock to get it under 7.

Team Savage
    Just for some eye candy, here's the 7x57 in all it's glory. :D

Basic Member
    Sweet!

BW

Basic Member
    I've always liked the manlicher stocks but just never had anything to put in one

Team Savage
    Bloodied that rifle today. Pig #1 is in the books. Wish I could say it was a 250-yard head shot, but no, the 2x setting on that scope came in real handy when I walked up to within 20 yards of a sow. LOL. I think the muzzle blast alone killed her. :D

Basic Member
    Sweet! I wish we had more pigs around here

Team Savage
    Sweet! I wish we had more pigs around here
    Be careful what you wish for. If you own any land, you don't want any. Trust me.

Only good wild pig is a dead one IMO.

Basic Member
    I have 5 acres but would like more. I know how deviating they can be though

Basic Member
    TN has outlawed hunting wild pigs for fear that people will start bringing them to TN or just turning them loose. Also made it illegal to turn those animals loose.

BW

Team Savage
    If TN has outlawed hunting wild pigs, they need to update their website:

https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/wild-hog-regulations

That's the first I've heard of that. TX made them illegal to transport years ago, but it was too little, too late. They were being transported in most cases by hunters who didn't own the land they were being released on, for purely sport hunting reasons. So those landowners have sport hunters to "thank" for their invasive destructive nuisance hogs. This IMO remains a black eye for sport hunters in many parts of the U.S.

Yes, they are fun to hunt. I'll give you that, but they cause millions of dollars worth of damage each year, not to mention injuries by those who work the land and end up dropping a wheel in a hole created by rooting hogs. Been there, done that, have the scars to prove it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' BW View Post
    TN has outlawed hunting wild pigs for fear that people will start bringing them to TN or just turning them loose. Also made it illegal to turn those animals loose.

BW
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    If TN has outlawed hunting wild pigs, they need to update their website:

https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/wild-hog-regulations
    Nope the website is right. It outlines legal ways to eradicate hogs. If you read further it states:

"In 2011, new regulations were enacted that changed wild hog management. Wild hogs are no longer regarded as big game animals in Tennessee. In order to remove the incentive to relocate wild hogs, they are now considered a destructive species to be controlled by methods other than sport hunting. It is illegal to possess, transport, or release live wild hogs. - See more at: https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/wild....1N9jpIuE.dpuf "

"Hunting" being the key word there. There is not a "hunting season" for hogs but you can kill them following special regulations.

BW
    Last edited by Ol' BW; 01-26-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Team Savage
    Ah, that's basically what every other state, including Texas, is doing. Again, too little too late though.

But back to the rifles...

I finally found something I don't like about my 7.62x39 scout rifle - its so accurate and easy to shoot that it's making my other rifles look bad. I mean really. I was pretty satisfied with a few of my other guns before this one. Now I'm like "I wish it shot as good as my Savage." LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast