Thread: New Savage 11 Long Range Hunter Owner .308

BlueFalc0n

New Savage 11 Long Range Hunter Owner .308

Hi everyone.

First post.
    Introduction:
    Retired US Army.
    Live in West Texas
    Work for the Dept of Army now as a civilian.
    For some reason, I've got this gun fever of late.
    Purchased 2 Glocks (both 9mm, G17 and G26 for Concealed carry)
    A .38 Airweight for the wife
    And a Winchester Defender 12 gauge for home defense.

This is the first long gun ever purchased. I'd like to start hitting the range again.

Anyone else have this rifle? Comments, suggestions?

I'll be hitting up the optics forum and help me decide forum I'm sure since I've never used a scope. Lots to learn.

Thanks.

Re: New Savage 11 Long Range Hunter Owner .308

Welcome to the site. I can't comment on your rifle, don't own one but do have three I built in 280 Ackley, .223 and 6mm Norma BR. For a decent scope, I recommend looking at the Vortex and Meuller, good bang for the buck.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

I don't own this particular model but have a few others and can assure you Savage will not disappoint you.
    If you want to shoot at distance and like the 308 family consider a 260rem or a 7m/08, if you like the 06 family how about 25-06. All of these will give excellent accuracy, plenty of reach and tolerable recoil for range sessions.
    If you are fairly handy build your own not really hard to do and the $12 membership fee will give you all the info you could possibly need to do it.
    Welcome to the forum by the way. There is a 2 day event going on so after today you will probably get a lot more answers and opinions.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member

Welcome aboard, i have two savage 308's model 10pc and 12fvss. The 12 does very well at range and the 308 family has great long range abilities. Just starting out is a lot of fun, you get to do it all for the first time. For one of your next guns you might look at one of the 308 wildcats, .243, 7mm-08, or the .260rem, a very flat shooter. By all means go for the membership, it is money very well spent.

As for glass, well i have found over the years that what works for me, may not work for you. Rather than go out and buy a "name", go somewhere that has a good selection of scopes and look through them all, even the low end stuff. The scope i have on my 12fvss is not considered a good brand, yet it has made a six shot, 1.029x.789 group at 200yds and works just as well as some of the "better" scopes i have sold this year. blue

BlueFalc0n

Thanks for the welcome.

I am for sure looking forward to getting this within the week since the local gun shop had to order it from their retailer.

I'll post in the optics forum on what I'm looking for in a scope in hopes of getting some good recommendations