Thread: Savage Long Action Night Force Scope Mount Mod

Basic Member

Savage Long Action Night Force Scope Mount Mod

After recent range time with my custom built 300WM, I greatly needed to move the scope back a bit so I'd stop straining behind the rifle. To do so I had to file down my $115 NF steel scope mount in order to fit the scope bell! Well I took it slow using a rounded hand file and she turned out better than I thought. I used OXPHO-BLUE cold blue for the finish... I can fit a few sheets of paper between the mount and scope now so I should be GTG.

Note that I don't really do anything without duct tape

Russ

schnyd112
    Well played. That looks great, and if it works you've done a hell of a job. Did you polish it after the file, that looks like a pretty rough file and the finished job looks very smooth. No teeth marks that I can see.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnyd112 View Post
    Well played. That looks great, and if it works you've done a hell of a job. Did you polish it after the file, that looks like a pretty rough file and the finished job looks very smooth. No teeth marks that I can see.
    Thanks Schmyd, I actually didn't have to polish it like I thought I would. The cold blue also turned out a lot better than I thought... Just hate making permanent modification to expensive equipment...

Basic Member
    I had to do the same thing with mine, but I threw it on the mill instead of having it filed down. Sprayed it with some matte black engine paint and you could never tell there was a difference. Not sure why NF insists on having that overhang on their bases... Not only does it look goofy as hell, but it contacts the bell depending on where you have your scope.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    Bruce Baer had a contract with Nightforce for making those bases untill a couple years ago. I think maybe the rings also but not sure on that.
    For sure he could answer questions like that but my guess would be cosmetics more than anything.

Basic Member
    I guess better to be too long than too short. That way the user can remove material if needed... It's probably for the best but this is the second rifle that's done it for me.

Basic Member
    That file looks like my wood rasp, lol.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WV1951 View Post
    That file looks like my wood rasp, lol.
    Lol yes, I believe it is for wood. It's not cut like a steel file but it's the only thing I had to ensure a symmetrical contour. That's prolly why it took me so long and came out so smooth lol